Phrase I haven't heard before this paper: the Jugular Vein Nutcracker

New paper: Neurosurgical implications of the Jugular Vein Nutcracker

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/374614201_Neurosurgical_implications_of_the_Jugular_Vein_Nutcracker

6 Likes

Thank you for posting this nice summary of Dr. Mantovani’s team. Hopefully the research can gain momentum.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this!

1 Like

We have members who have Nutcracker Syndrome (Nutcracker Syndrome Symptoms & Treatment | UPMC - Pittsburgh PA), but I find it interesting that this team has chosen to label IJV compression by the C-1 vertebra/styloid process as Jugular Vein Nutcracker.

On this forum, we’ve generically called any type of vascular compression - whether IJV or ICA - Vascular Eagle Syndrome. The new exception to that rule in some circles is to call IJV compression (regardless of cause) Vascular Outflow Obstruction (VOO). Perhaps one day there will be a common term that describes IJV compression in general. This would certainly reduce confusion among our members!!

3 Likes

I agree, why do they keep coming up with new names!

2 Likes

This terminology could get really confusing, since there are other “Nutcracker” syndromes, like Renal Nutcracker Syndrome, which I believe many of us have. But I get why they like the word.

3 Likes