Please can somebody tell me how long does the surgery of compete removal of one styoid takes? Thank you!

I was in our University hospital...,maksiofacial...they cheked my scanns and me... The head of the hospytal said that I do have ES...on right side , and also very thick and wrong angle on the left side..that is why I also have pain and discomfor on left side...like you Jules said! They performed the last time the surgery 2 years ago..they are willing to remove the whole styloid,,,but at the moment only on right side.....my mum is now in hospital, I cancelled the surgery in Barcellona due to this....here they are forsing me to do the surgery...have to go and see also ETN neck and scull base surgeon--in ETN clinic...aparently excellent young surgeon on 5.th of november...so scarred, because in maksiofacial hospital they are saying...I can be worse after surgery...dr. Maiz said the surgery will be taking all my symptoms away...so now what...just scarred and in a lot of pain.....thank you...this is crazy....how can I trust somebody if they are telling me like this?

Not sure if you mean the actual operation, or recovery? My surgery was less than 2 hours, then time in the recovery room- I was in overnight as they put a drain in, I think a lot of people go home the same day. Not many doctors do both sides at the same time because of the swelling. I'm glad that they've agreed to do the surgery, but did they give you an answer as to why they want to do the right side, not the side you're in more pain from? I know Isiah 40:31's doctor chose to do one side first because of the position of the styloid, so maybe they have a reason? But I would want to know their reasons. The time varies that members have had to wait for a second surgery- I think between 3-6 months seems common.

Dear Jules, I meant actual surgery...so it is 2 hours...they are saying they will remove the one which is longer on the right side...and actually gives me a lot of trouble...but the pain in left ear is more, where tha styloid is normal lenght but thicker and strange angle...how the head of maksioafical departmet said! It just scarred me..because, they dont have so much experience...and instead of comforting me...he said it can be worse after surgery.....this is my worries...and to be honest I did not ask more...becaue so, and so, the have seen that I know something about ES...and had a bit of a fight with one of DR. because he said he would do intraoral....when I asked him why...he said less time operating...but then I said: intraoral vs external is in favour of external...and rely is better to take the whole styloid aout.....There is just something that I dont feel comfortable about the whole situataion....mostly...because they could not answer me about profilactic medicine which is essential in my case due to very bad allergic due to allmost all medicines....also...I know that all, but all surgeons on our list are ENT and head and neck surgeons...so what to do.....rely not well at all....I just cry every day because of pain and of fear......

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time while you decide about surgery, and I know that it's a very scary thing to face. Most people do improve after surgery, it's very unusual to be worse, but equally no doctor can promise that all your symptoms will go. When you get to a point that the ES is ruining your life then it does make the decision to have an operation easier, but equally you do need to feel confident in your surgeon, and to have the right procedures in place should you have an allergic reaction.

How is your Mum doing; I'm sorry that you have this worry as well as your own health... praying for you.

Thank you Jules....I dont see my repla...I did replay to your kind answer...I am going also on 6.11. zo one very good surgeon ETNneck and scull base surgeon..let we see what he will say.....just so tired of all this......my mum is still in hospital,,,,,,love and hugs and all the prayers......Zdravka.

Jules said:

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time while you decide about surgery, and I know that it's a very scary thing to face. Most people do improve after surgery, it's very unusual to be worse, but equally no doctor can promise that all your symptoms will go. When you get to a point that the ES is ruining your life then it does make the decision to have an operation easier, but equally you do need to feel confident in your surgeon, and to have the right procedures in place should you have an allergic reaction.

How is your Mum doing; I'm sorry that you have this worry as well as your own health... praying for you.

The Dr that i have seen for ES surgery told me the same thing i could get worse it 50/50 it scared me as well but yes i feel like juels if it bad enough you need to get them out and try especially if you live were there is waiting list for surgery what if you miss the opportunity you can not get in for year or longer you get worse that is horrible but yes have to be sure of your Dr at same time it dose soynd like they k ow what they doing if they suggest to see the head neck surgeon the Dr i seen is just ent but suppose to be good but don’t make the decision any easier i hope your mom recovers well fast!

I’m sorry that you are having this hard time, I hope you and your mum are much better today. I had this surgery (intraoral) about one year and a half ago, my neck pain and headaches improved, I also had palpitations, cough that stopped, Mr Rogan Corbridge trimmed the bone on the left side, I have 6cm on each side. My ear pain has gotten worse and I have throat pain and tinnitus as well, I work on a call centre and this makes my life difficult. From time to time I have as well vertigo, that started since I had the surgery. I believe that with this surgery/illness you can’t win, you just have to follow your instincts and trust your doctor. I had to travel a long distance to find a doctor that I could trust and gave me some hope. He was amazing, Dr Rogan Corbridge. Although I was a little upset that my follow up was with another doctor he never saw me again!
Anyway, I had a intraoral surgery and no one can’t tell. My scar was very fine and now disappeared. I decided just to accept myself and live with it now. My pain is tolerable, I just have to try and avoid things that trigger my pain.
I would do the surgery again as I am much better today than I was. Good luck and I wish you take the right decision.

1 Like

By the way, the reason that I travel and look for another doctor was because the doctor that diagnosed me said exactly the same thing. “I cannot guarantee that you will be better, you might get worse…” The doctor that made my surgery said that I cannot guarantee that you headaches will go away, and it’s gone!.. Today I believe that they all say the same because it’s all so complex and they dont know much about it as well. I hope this helps…

Thank you so much...I will go to see and ETN surgeon also operates on neck and scull base...dont rely know what to excspect! My mum is better thank you.....I am also in touch with the biggest clinic in Serbia KCS with ETN and maksiofacial department huge hospytal and excellent surgeons...just waiting for their replay what to do and how....to be honest I have this numb toungue and also burning toungue...which I strongly belive is due to ES...because my BMS is getting worse...specialy on the side of neck where my styloids are....the long one and the short which is acording to maksiofacial surgeon to tick...but since they said I can get worse I am going this friday to see this ETN surgeon here in Slovenia...who is operating only on very very difficult cases...dont thing he ever did ES...but they speak higly of him! I will just follow my inside fillings...I just know, since all my problems started is more than 4,5 years ago...and actualy more the styloids where growing more discomfort I have.....So I will have to make a very big decission.....for now Barcelona is out due to some my personal isueses.....I will definetly let you know how it goes.....with BMS is like that...it get lessen over the years....but my BMS got worse and symple explanaton is, due to styloid growing and pressing on some nerves.....hugs to all and thank you......xxx
needanswers? said:

By the way, the reason that I travel and look for another doctor was because the doctor that diagnosed me said exactly the same thing. “I cannot guarantee that you will be better, you might get worse...” The doctor that made my surgery said that I cannot guarantee that you headaches will go away, and it's gone!... Today I believe that they all say the same because it's all so complex and they dont know much about it as well. I hope this helps...

Hi everyone. Does someone know how to get jn touch with this lady Zdravka, because she is ni longer active here and I would like to know did she do the surgery? And her outcome?

1 Like

I’m sorry, she’s not been on here for ages, I don’t know if she ever had surgery, & other than sending her a message by clicking on her avatar we don’t have any way of getting in touch…if I remember right when Ben’s Friends changed to this forum format she dropped out…

1 Like

@Majs - you can try clicking on Zdravka’s screen name. That will take you to a page where you can send her a private message. She may reply to you that way.