Post Surgery Follow-up

I’m Irish so I understand the long wait time. Does everyone have to get the second side done?

Not everyone…some people have ES just one side, but it does seem that bilateral ES is more common. The second side does seem to get worse quite often after first surgery, or maybe it’s that the worst side masks it until that’s removed?

[https://sjc6.discourse-cdn.com/standard10/user_avatar/www.livingwitheagle.org/jules/45/404_2.png] Juleshttps://forum.livingwitheagle.org/u/jules
December 18

Not everyone…some people have ES just one side, but it does seem that bilateral ES is more common. The second side does seem to get worse quite often after first surgery, or maybe it’s that the worst side masks it until that’s removed?

If I need to get the other side done I will, healing first though. My surgeon told me today that about a third of his patients get the second side done. So I will see what the future brings and concentrate on the healing now. Thanks for your support.

1 Like

70melvin6

If you’re relatively symptom-free or have symptoms that are low grade enough to live w/ them, then I recommend waiting to get your second surgery until the remaining styloid’s symptoms are slowing you down. As Dr. Samji & Jules noted, not all people have/need a second surgery.

I hope you continue to notice improvement in your symptoms as the weeks pass. At 6 months post op, I felt really pretty normal from my first surgery. My only setback was that my remaining styloid was VERY symptomatic at that point so I had no choice but to get it removed.

Yes I agree. I’m going to wait till I heal completely from this surgery. This is the first week that I feel like I’m going to get better. If a second surgery I will be much more prepared. Dr. Samji is an excellent doctor and I wouldn’t hesitate in having him to a second surgery if it’s necessary. He agreed in waiting on a second one. Thanks again for all your support and prayers. You and this website has been a wonderful gift.

3 Likes

I’m 2 weeks out post-op from my 2nd surgery and I waited 7 months between them. I would have done it sooner but had some TMJ pain flairs from the surgery that I had to calm down before going another round. I found that at about 6-8 weeks I started to feel more normal too. I think you are on the upside of this now. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. I’m starting to feel a lot better this week and feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel now. I also had a horrible flare up of facial spasms about a week after my surgery and also a huge spike in tinnitus is both ears. Now it’s starting to ease off. Due to Covid I would have to wait to have the second side done if needed. My surgeon thinks I should wait at least six months before I he would do it. I wish you all the best and praying :pray: for you also.

1 Like

Hi there 70melvin6,

I just saw your posts today and it sounds like your starting to get some relief from the pain. I am just at roughly 2.5 weeks and I really was not prepared for the pain I was in. I can definitely empathize with you. It hurts. I’ve turned a positive corner this week but quickly learned I have to take it super easy. Even talking too much caused a lot of inflammation around my jugular and pain around the neck, ear and base of head. I kind of freaked out my first into second week because I was not 100% sure what was normal. Thank goodness for this site and everyone on it. It’s been a saving grace. :blossom:

Thank you also for posting your experience because it helps me who is just behind you in the process. I don’t want for anyone to have to go thru finding a diagnosis to surgery and then having to heal from that surgery. But I am glad I don’t have to feel alone.

Hang in there and take special care of yourself and allow yourself the time to heal. I’m sending big hugs and warm thoughts your way. :two_hearts::christmas_tree::christmas_tree:

3 Likes

Hope you both keep healing well, so gkad that the site is helping you through it & reassuring you with what’s normal…thinking of you both & praying for you

2 Likes

CONATIVE,

Thank you for your update & upbeat message. I am so glad you’re also “turning a corner” in your healing & learning your limits at the current time. Healing is a slow 3 stpes forward 2 steps back process but surgery is so worthwhile for the final result it produces. You will get there & so will 70melvin6.

I’m very happy this site has been an encouragement for you & hope it will continue to be so. :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you Jules!

Thank you Isaiah!

1 Like

Hi Conative,
Glad you are feeling better as well as Mel. Sorry about the pain though. I’m 2.5 weeks out now on 2nd side. Luckily my pain levels have not really been all that bad both times but Im also well stocked with pain killers but only really need one a day if at all.
I’m having that same issue of talking too much causes inflammation around the jugular. I feel like someone has their hands around my neck trying to choke me but I can still breath. I also have some tongue dysfunction affecting my speech. The more I talk, the worse the inflammation gets and my voice gets strained or talking with cotton balls in my mouth. I didnt expect this and didnt have it 1st time around. Nice to know Im not only one experiencing this as well. Bigs hugs to you and mel in your recoveries

3 Likes

Hi Snapple2020

I am just finishing my third week now. Talking definitely makes it harder. My mom asked me several times today to repeat myself. Lol. My neck gets super tight too. I think I’m having a harder time now with the IH. But the pain is still getting better as of now :blush: I actually woke up on my left side last night! Just coming off the steroid and now struggling some. Feels like my head is being pulled in two different directions. The left side of my head, face, sinus, eye and ear has a-lot of pressure. Congestion and drainage. I was like this before the surgery…I do know it’s a process.

I wonder why it is different the second time around then the first? I had the left side done and the right side pulsatile tinnitus went away. Still get it on the left. But I don’t wake up in the middle of the night with it lately. So that’s really good.

I sure hope your getting the relief you need soon. I can certainly understand :blush: you were so nice to follow up. It does help to know we have some similarities.

3 Likes

Hi CONATIVE,

The human body is so interconnected with itself that it’s not unusual to have a problem on the left side that exhibits symptoms on the right. Our nerves, fascia, & vascular systems among other soft tissues spiral around throughout the body. The vagus nerve for example can affect many bodily functions as it runs from the back of the head, through the neck/throat (swallowing, coughing, vocalization), chest (heart rate, blood pressure & breathing) to the gastrointestinal tract (digestion) & down to the bladder & bowels. An example here is that many people w/ ES have GERD-type symptoms & are prescribed strong antacids which don’t help, however, when ES is diagnosed, & the styloids are removed, often those symptoms go away.

You are such a trooper, & your attitude is great! Your patience will pay off as you give your body what it needs to heal. It’s working hard to get you comfortably back on your feet, but as you noted, it is a process. We’re here to march with you as you move down that road to complete healing. :hugs:

2 Likes

It’s good you’re noticing some improvements! Hopefully with time the rest will improve…God bless

1 Like

Thank you Jules and Isaiah! Merry Christmas everyone!

2 Likes

Merry Christmas back to you, CONATIVE!

Thanks so very much Jules❤️