Post Surgery Follow-up

Hi Conative,

My kids also asking me to repeat myself too. My son even accused me of drinking excessively on xmas day when I just was fatigued so much from talking that morning. The right back side of my tongue is still numb and not functioning. The right side of my face is waking up more though and I am getting shooting nerve pain daily so things are healing. I too feel like my head being pulled in different directions too. I didnt realize how much numbness I still have in my neck from the first surgery. Ive found that if I stay upright most of the day without resting my neck on a pillow, the tightness (assume swelling) gets worse. I feel sometimes like someone is choking me.

Yesterday I had some ear and jaw pain and rested most of the day and took a pain killer. It is better today. I dont have the same congestion as you do but I do have sinus pressure which I didnt notice until you brought it up. I tend to ignore it all as much as I can. I wake up sometimes also and have to change sides I am sleeping.

It really hasnā€™t been that long since surgery. Maybe we are just inpatient and not resting enough? I probably should be icing more too. I tend to keep moving and stay busy when I should rest more.
We need to remember we just had our necks cut openā€¦LOL.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that you are still in pain. I have had to really work on not talking a lot, I still have problems with that even though seven weeks post op. My pain level has dropped a lot, thank God for that. I still have bad tinnitus in both ears and Iā€™m taking vitamin B12/Bcomplex for that. I really believe with all my heart that the trauma caused by the lack of pain management after my surgery is causing me to heal slower. Iā€™m really concentrating on healing now, staying on a healthy diet and listening to my body more. Taking this opportunity to wish everyone a very happy and healthy New Year.

3 Likes

Glads you are feeling better mel.

I had problem with lack of pain management after a surgery and it was a very traumatic event. This was even with documentation that my body processes opioids differently than most and need higher doses to manage severe pain. I do believe that that the trauma of having under managed pain can impact healing and even read some studies on it. Iā€™m not sure what the circumstances were that you didnt get effective pain management. In my case I didnā€™t get any pain meds after a 3 hour surgery for close to 4 hours and then was given a small dose. I eventually got a pain pump but not until about 8 hours later and after I started threatening to file a complaint. I have since discovered it was likely someone in the PACU diverting drugs and the DEA is investigating.
I know my kids said I would me crying out and screaming in my sleep after I got home. A couple months later, my hair started to fall out. Being in acute and severe pain for any length of time can impact the body and how well it heals. Im glad you are on the other side of this. Hope the tinnitus improves. My first surgery, it seemed things seemed to improve by about week 12.

Yes, Iā€™m staying positive. 2021 will be a much better year.

1 Like

Hi Snapple,

Yes, the talking a lot makes a big difference for me too. Thatā€™s funny about your son. Lol. I can relate to the tightness in the neck caused by more activity for me. Itā€™s interesting to see how both sides of my neck feel it even though the surgery was only on the left.

I have officially had three days and nights now with no pulsatile tinnitus. I am now in week four. This is a big improvement. I walk once in the mornings to help move things around.

I still have the left sided ear fullness with fluid, left eye pain and tearing and left sided nasal congestion with post nasal drip. I woke up this morning thinking I might have a sinus infection but I had a sphenoidectomy at the same time as my styloidectomy so I think it takes longer to get betterā€¦ movement and activity increases my symptoms.

We definitely need to keep resting. I think that keeping the inflammation down is key. Also drinking a lot of water. I think Iā€™ll do some icing today. I have a PT appt this Thursday to treat some scar tissue build up so I will ask about the neck tightness and how or if scar tissue can make this worse? Also my lip is still crooked so getting a little more worried about that. BUT, no pulsatile tinnitus :blush:

Iā€™m back to work next week and not sure how I will do ā€¦ please keep me updated on your recovery. Iā€™m glad your overall doing well

Sounds very soon for you to go back to work, are you able to get any more time off?

Hi,

Well I initially took 3 weeks but needed another week I felt. Iā€™ve been worried I didnā€™t have this right to begin with. I was pretty sure I read some people were ready at two weeks but others moreā€¦ each week is better so I am hoping I can do it. My biggest concern is swelling due to all the talkingā€¦ donā€™t want to make that worse. I honestly have no idea when it is best to go back because I still feel like I donā€™t know what to expect whenā€¦ Iā€™m waiting to feel better but Iā€™m certainly not 100% and I have no idea when I should expect to beā€¦ Idk

CONATIVE,

As far as your lip goes, donā€™t worry. It can take 3-6 months for the nerves to recover & the lip to return to normal. When you see the PT ask if there are exercises you can do to help your lip recover. Iā€™m there are some.

At two months post op, I felt pretty good & almost back to my old self. I had pain off & on for close to a year as my nerves recovered but nothing compared to what I had pre-op. I still get a twinge now & then even after 6 years, but its just a reminder of how far Iā€™ve come so I take it in stride.

I recommend starting back to work part time & gradually working up to full time. Is that a possibility?

Iā€™m so glad you noticed a major positive change this morning w/ your tinnitus being gone. :blush:

Hi Isaiah,

Thank you for the follow up. It also really helpful to hear about the lip. Trying hard not to scare myself.

I think part time would be bestā€¦ I have a really hard time asking for that. But, I do not want to jeopardize the work we have doneā€¦ I need to wrap my head around how to talk to my boss about that. I feel like they have made a ton of hard accommodations already. I will think about this. Thank you for supporting my needing to heal. I do think people look at you and just canā€™t see this slow process in place. I do know that I could at anytime take some steps back so I need to remember this. I appreciate you!

2 Likes

Thank you Isaiah, you are such a positive person and an asset to this website. Iā€™m finally starting to feel like Iā€™m turning a corner but it has been a very slow process. I have had to learn to slow down and take things slowly one day at a time. Today I started my Yoga practice, mainly stretching. Trying to clear my mind from all the horrific post op stuff I went through. Iā€™m very blessed to have a very supportive husband and family who have been by my side through this whole ordeal.

2 Likes

HOORAY for getting to start back into a bit of a more normal routine, 70melvin6! I do Pilates & started back a bit sooner than I should have. I think it set my healing back. Good for you for waiting! Again, Iā€™m so sorry for the really tough post op period you had. Slow is good for the next couple of months. If you try something you havenā€™t done for awhile feel pain either at the time or within a few hours, then thatā€™s a sign you need to wait awhile longer. I think we are all do-ers so taking things slowly & resting are not in our vocabulary. This is the time for retraining that mindset. There will be time in the future, when youā€™re healed, to jump back into activities w/ both feet. :sun_with_face: :foot: :foot:

Good family support is the BEST!!

Iā€™m glad you have a job where youā€™re respected & given some flexibility. You may only need to go part time for a few days to ā€œtest the waterā€. Your body will tell you what it can handle. :blush: Starting in more slowly will potentially allow you to get back into full time work more quickly.

If youā€™d had an abdo op like a hysterectomy, 6 weeks off would be the norm- you still have internal stitches which need to heal, & nerves damaged before surgery to heal too. If talking makes pain worse & you canā€™t avoid talking when youā€™re in work, then put yourself first & speak to your boss- no point going back full time & it being too much & then having to take longer off, better to ease in gradually! Itā€™s neck surgery, necks are essential!

Im concerned of the same myself and trying not get scared about the talking and swelling. I know it can take up to 6 mths but I am scared it will not return to normal. I also agree it can appear we have recovered and can function somewhat well at times but it comes and goes and others are not in our body feeling what we do. I originally was able to get sign off of 1 month first surgery but I backed it up with a leave of absence because of employer retaliation. I am sure glad I did that. Doc initially said 2 weeks. Personally I do not think that is enough based on my experience. I got doc to sign off on 6 weeks this time. I tried for 8 but he wouldnā€™t go for it. :roll_eyes: My job requires me to answer phones and talk to people in person. Iā€™m not close to being able to do that at 3 weeks out. I have a follow-up appt right before I am scheduled to return. Well see where I am at in 3 weeks.

1 Like

Hi Snapple2020, have you applied for FMLA yet? Itā€™s the law that an employer has to give you 6 weeks off. I would really check into it. Iā€™m sending you positive thoughts and prayers.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I dont qualify for FMLA because I fell short by 50 hours to meet the criteria because I work part-time.
I already will have taken 6 weeks off and on disability pay. I can extend it, if the doctor willing to sign. I do have the option of taking a leave of absence without pay which I have considered.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry to hear that. I really hope that your doctor will be able to help you. Iā€™m sending you lots of positive vibes and prayers :pray:

Thanks mel. At this point, I dislike my job enough that I donā€™t care if I have job protection. I continue to struggle with my tongue issues and still have slurring speech.
I did have massage person start working on my neck and shoulders this week at 4 weeks out and it was helpful overall. It seemed to loosen up the tightness I feel in the neck after surgery. I am going in today for acupuncture and she attaches a tens unit to the needles. I had it done on other side after first surgery and it seemed to stimulate the nerves.
I sometimes have some jaw ache but mild and it comes and goes. Still got the usual swelling in neck below the side of cheek. It seemed that took months to go away 1st time around.

1 Like