POTS/Dysautonomia and Eagles

Hi Karen!

Welcome to this awesome forum! I’m glad you found us. I must say I’m quite impressed. You’ve done your homework well & are totally “on base”:+1:. You have certainly had some major injuries to your neck & spine that could contribute to your ending up with ES, and your suspicion of possible vascular ES definitely aligns w/ your POTS type symptoms, chronic fatigue, brain fog & tachycardia. These can all result from (a) compressed internal carotid artery(ies) or jugular vein(s) which are the vascular tissues most commonly affected by ES.

A CT scan without contrast is the best diagnostic tool for showing the styloid processes & the stylohyoid ligaments (if they are calcified). When contrast is added, the vascular tissues can be seen & vascular compression can be diagnosed. You’ll need to have the scan w/ your head in a provocative position i.e. the position that best promotes the vascular symptoms you’re experiencing. If your head is kept in a neutral position (unless that is the provocative position), it’s unlikely vascular compression will be seen, & you’ll get another “worthless” scan like the unfortunate MRI.

You did a great job with the 3D slicer program. I agree that your styloids look to be growing in a more straight down direction. Your left one in particular looks pretty long. The right one also looks problematic. Whether it is broken, or the styloid is a normal length & the stylohyoid ligament is partially calcified will need to be determined by the radiologist who interprets your upcoming CT scan. FYI the definition of Eagle Syndrome is a) elongation of the styloid process(es) OR b) calcification of the stylohyoid ligament(s) OR c) a combo of a & b.

Unfortunately, there is a note in Dr. Monteiro’s information on our most current ES Doctors list that says Dr. Witterick is no longer doing ES surgery, however, there are several doctors listed in Ontario. Your best bet is to use the magnifying glass search tool above & type in each doctor’s name to see what has been posted about our forum members’ experiences with them. There may not be posts for every doctor. I am including the link for the most current doctors’ list here: Doctors Familiar With ES Countries Outside US

I believe you are on the right path to finding a solution for the things that are currently bothering you the most. It’s truly amazing how one or two little bones in the neck can cause so much trouble. They tend to tangle w/ cranial nerves that run through that area of the neck & create crazy symptoms that often don’t lead anywhere but to a diagnosis of hypochondria.

I hope all this information is helpful to you. Please keep asking questions. We’re here to answer them!

:grin:

1 Like