Pressure in neck or jaw when exercising/stimulants

So I’ve been able to exercise over the past couple weeks but sometimes I get a weird pressure in my neck/jaw/head when I run. It’s only been when I drink coffee before running. So it may be the stimulants causing some effect. But I figure it has to do with construction of my vessels and high heart rate causing a little extra pressure build up. I know my IJV isn’t fully healed or opened up yet. But was wondering if anyone had similar symptoms? I’m post surgery 3 months now. I was told it could take 6 months to a year to see any major results.

Have you tried running before having coffee to see if the same thing happens or if the symptoms are milder? I think you’re right about the caffeine possibly being at least part of the equation.

When I started back running after my first surgery, my throat would swell, & I’d feel like I couldn’t get good deep breaths. It took several months post op before I could start pushing myself. That’s to say, as your recovery progresses, it’s likely those symptoms will disappear. If they bother you, try not to push yourself when you run. Keep it to a slow jog for awhile yet.

1 Like

Without coffee or pre workout I do not feel it near as bad. So I’m just going to stay away from pre workout and stimulants before running for a while. And maybe slowly introduce them back like a quarter cup of coffee before running. But I will wait another week or two before starting that.

1 Like

Hi @Calebp

I apologise for jumping on your thread, but was just hoping to find out if surgery has helped resolve many of your symptoms? Do you feel you have your quality of life back?

1 Like

You are fine, I feel like my quality of life is twice as good as it was compared to before my surgery. It has taken 3 months to see a noticeable difference. But I was told it could take up to a year to see the full effects. But I am able to work again. (Currently in employee health typing this) And I feel like every week I gain maybe 1% back to my normal self. If I had to put a percentage on it I would say I was at 10% of my normal self before the surgery. Now I feel like I’m at 60-70% of my normal self. I slowly push myself with doing more physical activity. I figure a decent amount of my recovery is gaining my strength back from 9 months of doing nothing but lying in the bed. But I feel like I’m making progress. Are you suffering from Eagles syndrome?

3 Likes

That’s really good to hear Calebp, thank you for updating everyone! It’s helpful for others to read that it’s taken a good few months for you to start to feel better, it’s easy to get despondent when surgery doesn’t seem successful straight away. Keep healing :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks @Calebp

It’s great to hear that you feel so much better and are continuing to improve as the days go by. Will you be having the other side removed in the future?

Yes, I’ve got Eagles, vascular compression both sides and am hoping to have surgery sometime soon. It’s just a long wait but I’m really hoping I’ll get my life back one day.

Gives me more hope to hear of a successful surgery. Thank you!

3 Likes

I felt the same way when I was at my worst I felt like my life was taken away. But it does get better. Just keep your head up and look for a win every day, no matter how big or small it is.

7 Likes

How have you been doing lately @Calebp ? Hopefully everything is alright?

2 Likes

@Calebp We all hope you are alive and doing well!!

2 Likes