Protuding into mouth

Here’s a definition of first bite:
'First bite syndrome is characterized as pain in the parotid (salivary gland) gland or lower jaw area (mandibular region) at the first bite and, subsequently improves with each bite. The cause is unclear but, may be related to nerve impairment from surgery or other conditions.'
The intensity does seem to vary- certainly from my point of view it’s a very worthwhile trade-off for having the styloids gone! BTW mine were removed completely to base of skull- I did ask what happened to the muscles attached to them and was told it would be fine and I wouldn’t notice anything, which I haven’t!

1 Like

So were they just cut off or were they reattached to other structures (this is what my PT is guessing).

Wow–what a GREAT community we have! If only all the world could be so supportive, what a great world it would be!:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry this topic took a turn…are you getting the response and help you need from this topic?

Are you talking about the stylohyoid ligament or the styloid process? They cut out my bone.

Never heard of it, you’re referring to the mastcatory muscles. The pterigoid, masseter and temporalis. There’s actually 57
muscles of mastication.

The surgeon I saw described, if the full styloid process [bone] is removed then the muscle attachment from the tongue and the hydoid ligament are removed and not reattached and that has been found to cause no disruption in any function of either the hyoid nor the tongue.

I’m not sure if Dr Whitfield is on the list but I have shared the Dr and the location on your page [:blush:]

@Teresa -
My surgeon cut my left styloid bone back to my skull & removed the ligament even though it was only slightly calcified at the hyoid bone end. He reasoned that if all the participants in ES were completely removed then it would be unlikely that regrowth would occur. I am a good candidate for a regrowth study though as he was only able to cut an inch (2.54 cm) off my right styloid because my hypoglossal nerve was wrapped around it, & he didn’t want to permanently damage the nerve by trying to remove it from the styloid. It’s been 2 years since that surgery & so far no symptoms have returned, thus I conclude no regrowth has occurred yet.
I agree with Heidemt - take the time to get a new opinion about what’s going on. It absolutely may be that the angle of your remaining styloid bone allows it to poke into nerves or vascular tissue & that having it fully removed would be life changing for you in a positive way.

So if the bone is protruding behind my tonsil i can still get the surgery done externally? I also have calcified ligaments both sides.

Absolutely! External surgery provides the best access to everything, but internal surgery provides adequate access as well.

YES they were able to get it all. My SP’s were protruding [yep both sides] and the first one removed was taken from the skull base to the tip in my throat …ALL in ALL! The Dr broke the tip and then pulled it out so it is all gone [on the left] next week the right :wink:

Im so happy for you seamom. Ill be thinking of you next week and hope it all goes well.