Questions.. Scheduling bilateral soon with Dr Hackman

It’s a difficult decision whether to have one or both sides done- we often find once the first side is out it makes the other side symptoms flare up- whether the structures in the neck shift a bit, causing irritation, or whether the pain becomes more noticeable who knows…so be prepared for that if you just have one side done. As you said, it is a tougher surgery to recover from :hugs:

3 Likes

I hear you. My left is causing all the issues, but the right is longer. I prefer to go through this once, but I don’t think my styloids are too complex (if that’s a thing, lol). And honestly, I feel ready for any surgery simply because of this forum. I know the recovery from bilateral can be a bear, but I’ve already started a Google doc for my recovery where I’m listing many things that I’ll need and want to do and eat… I’m so grateful for the many ideas from this forum! I’m also collecting meditations and other things to calm my nervous system… before and after surgery. I’m finding that focusing on recovery is helping to calm many of the fears I have now.

From everything I’ve read here and online, I trust Dr. Hackman’s knowledge and any recommendations he has. And I have been totally impressed with his office so far. Marcela (his surgery scheduler) has been so helpful and patient in answering my many questions… even about recovery and travel. I’ve been set up in the UNC mychart, and can see that my scans have been read. I couldn’t get scheduled until May, but I’m on his cancellation list (again, Marcela has relieved a lot of my anxiety around this… I think she knows who I am now, lol!). It sounds like your styloids are doozies. When is your surgery scheduled? I believe you are in very good hands, and I don’t think we could ask for a better support system than we have here on this forum.:heart:

2 Likes

@DeeCeeNorth, thank you for your kind words about this forum. It has taken many moderators & members over the years to create what we have here. We who have been here for a long time continue to learn new things from each of our members so we are also grateful for you!

I’m glad you are thinking/planning ahead for your surgery & recovery, & that is helping you prepare mentally & feel more calm as the day draws nearer. That’s excellent planning on your part. :hugs:

2 Likes

My surgery is scheduled for Monday the 19th, but I keep getting sick. I’m hoping it clears up by this Friday or I may have to cancel which will be really frustrating for me. The colds keep causing even more pain. Not to mention the cost of changing my flight.

I’m glad you’re able to keep a positive attitude. I agree this forum has been incredible. As well as Marcela and Dr. Hackman.

3 Likes

Praying you get better for Monday @ectocake :hugs: :pray:

Sending you prayers and lots of positive vibes for Monday.

2 Likes

Vitamin C & Zinc!! I used to be skeptical about zinc but since I’ve started taking it daily, I haven’t been sick in quite a long time (I’m “knocking on wood” as I say this :joy:). In addition to a daily multi-vitamin, I also take vitamin C. I’ve read & heard that swabbing your nostrils & gargling with a saline solution (1/4 tsp. salt to 1/2 c. warm water) several times a day changes the pH there & makes those locations more hostile to the virus.

I’ll also be praying the current cold takes a hike & you feel much better by the time you need to travel in a few days.

2 Likes

I jumped to your name to read your story and see you talking about the SECU house. That’s where I stayed when I had my angio-venogram with Dr Fargen late last year. I will say that they are beyond worth the “waiting until the day of”. It is the kindest place with the most wonderful caring staff. You get your own room like you would in any hotel/motel BUT… they have several industrial sized fridges and freezers, some with things for you to help yourself to, others with room dedicated to you putting anything you want into (labelled as yours), as well as lockers for any of your pantry items. these are in an immense fully equipped kitchen that you or someone coming with you can use.
More though, volunteers come in and provide dinners 4 days a week!
They have evening (early evening) activities also on 4-5 days a week just before dinner is provided (therapy dogs 2ce a week, bingo night, arts, etc)
There are snacks galore for your to help yourself to (all individually wrapped and a Keurig machine with all sorts of k-cups (as well as plain old coffee prepared in large vats…
The ease of not having to worry about or think about food, and the joy of being able to pet a pooch or do a little art when you’re up to it…

And everyone staying there - all are there due to medical needs - there is this sense of community that just filled my heart…

Honestly, if I were to have surgery there, there is nowhere else I would want to stay…
And as already mentioned if they can’t get you a spot, they will get you the same rate at a nearby motel/hotel…

Just wanted to share all of that with you in case you still have your name in the hat…

2 Likes

Wow! That is great information, @akc… I had no idea SECU had all of that available! We did end up getting a reasonable and very nice VRBO, just because I was too nervous about waiting to find out where we would be staying. But I certainly would have been more open to it had I known all of this! Thank you for sharing this info… I’m sure it will help others make that decision!

3 Likes

I completely understand. I was also on the edge of my seat. Had I reeeeally understood that whatever happened I would not be left stranded I would have felt a lot better about it in the weeks leading up to…

2 Likes