Recovery after bilateral styloidectomy?

Can some folks who had bilateral styloidectomy with Dr Hackman share their experience how they feel now and how much time passed since then, please?.. Any nerve injury during the surgery that hasn’t resolved eventually? Did you have IJVs compressed and have they opened up since then?..

Genuine interest for the very latest updates.

4 Likes

I’m scheduled for June 20th so I’ll know soon enough

6 Likes

I had bilateral surgery on Dec 27. Recovery was slow due to swelling and general pain, as my styloids were 6 cm each. I still feel better if I ice once a day. I was completely numb under my chin after surgery. It isn’t as bad but still a bit numb; however, it doesn’t bother me. The neck pain is gone and headaches do not occur as often. I still have head fullness, tinnitus, and brain fog. I still hear crunching sounds when I turn my head also. I’m working with my neurologist to try and figure out the cause of the head fullness.

6 Likes

Great question! Following.

2 Likes

Were you jugulars compressed and if so have you checked them post op to see if they still are? Sometimes they don’t open on their own

2 Likes

I had bilateral with Dr. Hackman in July 2021. Cranial nerve 7 was damaged and one eyelid would not close after surgery, and I also had some facial nerve palsy on the same side. The facial nerve palsy resolved within 2 weeks. Eyelid took about 3 months to work completely. Also have some issues with eustachian tubes that don’t clear as well as they did before the surgery. It is getting better - less frequent irritation. I had IJV compression on the left side and ICA irritation on the right, and both have resolved with removal of styloids. My left side IJV is much smaller than the right side - only 2.5 mm - so there are some issues with that, but I no longer start to pass out or fall over when my head is turned the wrong way. I am also sleeping much better and the brain fog has diminished significantly. I actually drove at night for the first time in a year, which was pretty exciting.

6 Likes

That’s good to hear! Thanks for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your progress! Truly appreciated! I am just waiting on a call back from the financial department with Dr Hackman and praying that all works out well with that. My doctor sent over the referral to Dr Hackmans office this morning and they already called me so that right there I am counting as a blessing! I am going to have to travel from upstate NY to see him and am praying it all just works out. I need some relief asap this past week has been brutal. It seems to come and go sometimes, not sure why but now it’s the worse it’s ever been. To say that I’m absolutely miserable would be an understatement. So thank you for sharing.

4 Likes

He is a fantastic doctor. Hoping it all works out for you. I traveled from Florida - flew up for the initial consult, and was driven up for the surgery. Spent one night in the hospital after surgery, and one night in the hotel after that and then went home. He does follow-up appointment via telemedicine, unless you want an in person appointment. The entire process was pretty easy - easy to say after 11 months - but it really was much better than I anticipated.

6 Likes

Thank you ! I just got the call I’m good to go with scheduling an appointment so I called and the earliest appointment is august 11th I took it! I know it’s a ways out but I am just am SO happy to have an appointment. I can’t believe how quick and efficient the process was with having to talk to 2 different areas there. They actually called me back like they said they would and every one was extremely kind and pleasant. Made me emotional :face_holding_back_tears: I’ve been quite that way a lot this week. Just such a change from the last 2 years of chaos and it was a nice welcome change. Would you recommend any place to stay that’s close by Dr Hackmans office? I’m going to Chapel Hill. Thank you.

3 Likes

I can’t speak to it yet but hope to be able to before the end of this year! Just got my appointment scheduled with Dr Hackman for August today. I’m beyond thrilled to have at least this appointment locked in. I’m following along as I would like to also know. Wishing you the best. I wouldn’t wish ES on anyone. So very thankful for this group and the support.

4 Likes

I stayed at the Carolina Inn. They have a shuttle that will take you to Dr. Hackman’s office and hospital. Trick I learned was to book just a week before travel. The rates came down quite a bit closer to my appointment dates.

Your experience with his office mirrors mine. Staff was efficient and kind, unlike my experience with 2 doctors here in Florida.

6 Likes

So sorry that you’ve had a difficult week, Ddmarie, I hope that it’s a temporary flare up & improves for you. If you could travel at short notice, some members have found that asking to be put on a cancellation list gets them in to see the doctors quicker? Sending you a hug :hugs:

@Priscilla how have you been after the surgery? Any setbacks, issues one and a half year later?

Thank you I truly really appreciate the kind words. I am praying that it is a flare as well and will dissipate. It feels like I’m being jabbed with an ice pick, the pain is constant. Also my tongue has been acting up :woman_facepalming:t3: And my eyes are acting super bizarre (like my left eye is droopier than my right eye and my right eye is trying to overcompensate) I’m absolutely convinced that that this booger is pushing on some major nerves for sure. I unfortunately don’t have a lot of flexibility with travel. I wish to God I did. I’m trying to at least get into my eye dr to make sure there is not something more serious going on there. I am also going to try to get into my primary to see if they can offer me any type of medicine. I’ve tried gaba in the past and I didn’t do well on it. :woman_shrugging:t3: I really thank you again for taking the time to reach out and wish me well. Means a lot. I have gotten pretty emotional this week because of the discomfort and pain. I don’t know what I would do without this group honestly.

1 Like

Ddmarie,

I don’t know if you saw the recent discussion about Lyrica helping one of our members who wasn’t helped by Gabapentin. Not sure if it was “incompatibility” w/ Gaba or it just didn’t work. That might be a medication you could ask your PCP about.

I’m so sorry for the terrible symptoms you’re currently having & also hope it’s a temporary situation. It would be worthwhile getting on Dr. Hackman’s cancellation list even if you can’t travel spontaneously. You might at least be able to get your appt. moved up a bit sooner.

It could well be the styloid is irritating nerves to your eye; quite a few members have had weak eyelid muscles & drooping of the eye & mouth after surgery as the facial nerve may have got stretched, & occasionally people have had it before surgery so, that may well be the culprit. Good idea to get it checked out though.
As @Isaiah_40_31 says there are other meds which might help, like Lyrica, Amitriptyline, Carbamazepine…
Hope things improve for you soon :pray: :hugs:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your response. I do apologize for my delayed response I will definitely be asking my primary about these other prescription options. I have been taking my Tumeric every day and using some cbd cream seems to be helping some for under my jaw but my eye is still wonky. Thanks again for the support always appreciate it !

3 Likes

Thank you Jules for the response I always appreciate and value your responses and support. I will definitely look into these options. Appreciate you.

3 Likes