Radiology Reports / C1 Transverse Process relation

Hi Friends,

After a disappointing MVD surgery in April, I've revisited Eagles as a potential cause of my problems. My symptoms have always been more consistent with vascular Eagles. The ENT surgeon I went to is known for his very narrow view of Eagles. The radiology report found a C! / Transverse Process degeneration / fusion with left occiput. It stated the "styloid processes are symmetrical in length. The left process is no longer than the right". It did not state the actual length.

I decided to call the radiology clinic that handled my CT scan to ask what length the processes are and the proximity of the C1 Transverse Process to the styloid process. The radiologist reviewed my scan while on the phone with me and stated the following: "The left styloid process is 4 cm and the right is 3 cm. The left C1 Transverse Process is 9 mm from the L styloid process and the right C1 TP is 1.4 cm from the R styloid process. The anterior L C1 TP is 6 mm from the styloid process. The C! TP is bulky and fusing with the left occiput. This could be causing problems; a spine surgeon may be able to help you."

Isn't a styloid process over 3 cm considered to be elongated ??

The original report was flat wrong...unbelievable.

Now I'm sending scans etc to Eagles surgeons and neuro spine surgeons.

Love to all -

Thank you,

Eddie

my ENT Dr. S Nalwa at Dean/st. mary’s in janesville was very good. He said my styloid processes were elongated at 3.7 and 4.5. Monday he removed thw right one even though it was shprter because for 25years that has been the side of my pain. I had a failed mvd surgery in nov 2013 and kept pushing because I couldn’t believe that “nothing” could be causing that pain. my ENT is cautiouly optimistic that the surgery will help with 75% success. He stands in the middle as far as eagles causing face pain but does the surgery when it seems appropriate. TIme will yell. my mvd surgery only helped for 8 MONTHs.

good luck!

Hope, I hope your surgery is successful - I bet it will be. It appears that the angle of the styloid processes can be the cause also...pls keep us posted - thanks !, Eddie

Hope said:

my ENT Dr. S Nalwa at Dean/st. mary's in janesville was very good. He said my styloid processes were elongated at 3.7 and 4.5. Monday he removed thw right one even though it was shprter because for 25years that has been the side of my pain. I had a failed mvd surgery in nov 2013 and kept pushing because I couldn't believe that "nothing" could be causing that pain. my ENT is cautiouly optimistic that the surgery will help with 75% success. He stands in the middle as far as eagles causing face pain but does the surgery when it seems appropriate. TIme will yell. my mvd surgery only helped for 8 MONTHs.

good luck!

I see a nuerologist tomorrow and will be asking him about this! Thank you for this information!