Recovery advice

I get surgery this coming Thursday, Nov 7th. I’m so ready! Also, I was able to find an amazing local surgeon from this groups provider file and I’m ecstatic! Just wondering how recovery has gone for everyone. Should I plan on eating soft foods after surgery and for how long? I also started coughing, clearing my throat, gagging and having extreme excess mucus the last couple weeks. I have had this happen before but its always been when I’ve been really sick. But I have not recently been sick. It always happens when I eat and will also happen other random times. Can last anywhere from 30-over 60 min each time. Just wondering if this might be connected to ES and if anyone had this before surgery and it went away after.

1 Like

There’s lots of info about surgery recovery in the past discussions, which are searchable by topic if you want detailed info. Are you having external or intraoral surgery? That makes a difference with recovery.
I had trouble chewing & opening my mouth wide after my first external surgery, probably for about 2 weeks, so was on smoothies & soft foods for that time, but didn’t have any of those problems with my second surgery!
But if you have intraoral surgery, it’s likely you’ll have more soreness & it will be harder to eat,
so be prepared & get stuff ready! Recovery can be a bit longer too. Also the pain meds can make you constipated, so have something ready for that :wink:
Other tips for recovery is to get a wedge pillow as if you can sleep propped up it’ll help with swelling, & lots of members find icing helps with swelling too. So ice packs ready- although I always found the cold made nerve pain worse, some find it helps, we’re all different!
But healing can take a while, so don’t get expectations too high- nerves can be irritated with surgery so take a while to heal, can be months. Recovery is often up & down- it’s easy to overdo things on good days, & then have a set back…you’ll need patience!
I never had the problem with mucus, I think others have mentioned that, so if no-one chips in you could search for that in previous discussions. I know vagus nerve irritation can cause digestive issues, not sure if it has an autonomic role in mucous production as well, if it is involved then it can take a while for nerves to settle after surgery, so may not go straight away.
Hope that your surgery goes well! Will make a note of the date & be praying for you…

3 Likes

Hi Lucy.
Good luck with your surgery. I had a call yesterday mine is on Dec 12th intra oral. Keep us posted on your recovery x

3 Likes

@Jules my surgery is external. Thank you so much for your help! I will do those searches.

2 Likes

@Sukinsmudge congrats on getting your surgery scheduled!

Thanks, getting nervous now though, so close to Christmas.

opavey@aol.com

1 Like

Liquidized Christmas dinner for you then!

1 Like

I had a liquid Thanksgiving dinner (not a UK holiday but a big one in the US) after my first surgery. My husband put a bit of all the food offerings in a blender & blended them up w/ some almond milk for me. It looked awful but was very tasty!

1 Like

Yes, or just the baileys Irish cream :wink:

opavey@aol.com

2 Likes

Hi Lacy,
I do have that extreme mucus thing as well. I have been diagnosed but have not yet had surgery for it. Mine is also random and really annoying - lots of hacking, gagging and spitting to put it grossly! One of the things of concern while I recover from cervical spine surgery happening on Thursday. There will be lots of swelling and irritation - hopefully not more than I can handle…depends on how much it aggravates this eagle evil! I think the excessive mucus is what wakes me up choking on occasion. I will be very interested in your outcome and whether this symptom changes for you! Best wishes for you on your surgery!

3 Likes

@Sukinsmudge Hoping all goes well for you and you can still enjoy your holidays :slight_smile:

1 Like

@kiZe6159
How did surgery go? I had my ES surgery yesterday. I’m doing very well and can already tell a difference with some ES symptons doing better. Can’t wait to see what all improves over time. I hope your recover goes well and your excess mucus doesn’t make you cough and gag too much after surgery!

1 Like

@Isaiah_40_31 glad you were able to enjoy a thanksgiving dinner. I’m in the US so I know how big of a holiday it is, one of my favorites, i love all the food! I’m hoping im recovered enough to enjoy all the holiday parties coming up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Surgery went very well with no complications so far. I was sent home with no narcotics, just ibuprophen and ice. I was pretty nervous about my pain levels being out of control but I am actually doing really well. My surgery was at 10 am and i was home by 3 pm. My pain is doing great, sore but nothing I cant handle and I’ve already noticed an improvement from some of my ES symptoms. Cant wait to see what changes and how I improve over time. Got the left done yesterday and in 3 months I can do the right. I am pretty unstable when standing and walking still. I’ve had several surgeries, like over 14 and have never been this unstable after. I’m guessing it’s because of the location of the surgery. For those if you who have had surgery is this normal? How long does it typically last? Thank you so much for all your support!

1 Like

Hi Lacy,

Glad your surgery went well! I had some of the balance issues/lightheadedness and feeling unsteady after surgery They gave me a scopolamine patch during surgery for nausea which I took off the next day because I thought that was causing some of the lightheadedness. I think you are right…the swelling compresses nerves/vascular structures and will get better with time. I don’t recall that mine lasted very long…3-4 days maybe. ICE, ICE, ICE your neck and this will help pain and swelling. Also sleep with your head elevated and TAKE IT EASY! Be gentle with the healing process. I felt really good initially after surgery and probably over did it and prolonged some of my symptoms. Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers for a smooth recovery!

3 Likes

@Kay thank you for responding. Good to know its normal and to expect it to last at least at few days. I have been icing like crazy and have been propped up. I will follow your advice and take it easy :wink:

1 Like

Hi Lacy, glad to hear your not in much pain and wishing you a speedy recovery , take care.

2 Likes

@Sukinsmudge thx!

Hi Lacy,

I second all of what Kay said. I was a bit wobbly for 3-4 days post op as well. It gradually subsided. I didn’t have the scopolamine patch though so mine was probably from anesthesia or pain meds.

Happy to hear you’re doing well & your pain is low. Days 3-5 are when the post op swelling will be the worst. Keep your ibuprofen & ice going on those days in particular.

:blush:

1 Like

Lacy!
Thanks for asking about me and my surgery. It went well…no pain in the back of my neck whatsoever. Lots of swelling in the front which was expected but maybe not prepared for it to be so severe. Though my throat isn’t really all that sore inside, it was pushed to the side and it really didn’t like that. The more ice the better allowance for it to migrate back to it’s rightful place. I’m having muscle soreness and spasms in my shoulders and upper back but that is getting less severe by the day. Just gotta keep up with my flexeril meds. The incision is about 2-1/2 inches and is somewhat sore as expected. I do believe this surgery kicked my ES up a bit - haven’t had the skin burning under my chin and down the front of my neck in some time. Also that mucus problem seems to be here to stay for a bit. REALLY difficult to swallow even liquid to take my meds. Thankfully we purchased an adjustable bed several months ago and what a difference that makes. I believe I have made the right decision by doing the cervical surgery first and now I will heal and wait until time for to address my ES.
So happy your surgery went well and your recovery is bearable. You and I both will be back up and running in no time! Hang in there and remember we are all in this together! Feel free to email me or ask anything - here to help any way I can! :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes