Retrospective Investigation Of The Relationship Between The Stylohyoid Ligament And Carotid Dissection

A lot of Folks have elongated calcified Stylohyoid ligament which can irritate their Carotid artery along with cranial nerves. Here is a study that looks into the relationship between elongated stylohyoid ligament and carotid artery. The conclusion is that if the ligament is closer than 4 mm to the carotid, it increases the chance of dissection. It might even increase the chance of irritation if it is between 4 mm to 5 mm.

Conclusion : As a result, the closure of the stylohyoid ligament closer than 3.9 mm to the carotid for any reason increases the risk of dissection in young patients. It is thought that the results of this research will constitute a step for radiological artificial intelligence studies.

For those of you who have the calcified ligament, you can measure it using their technique to evaluate the close proximity of it to the carotid artery as the image below from the study shows.

Study: https://www.openaccessjournals.com/articles/retrospective-investigation-of-the-relationship-between-the-stylohyoid-ligament-and-carotid-dissection-13098.html

5 Likes

This is a really cool study! I had Carotid sinus syncope and some transient ischemic attacks before my first surgery. I am also young, 29 yr old.

2 Likes

Thank you again, another helpful study!

2 Likes