Revision with Hackman

Hey everyone!! MamaBear checking back in, sorry its been a bit but Im just trying to wrap my head around everything…

After a CT Angiogram, it showed that I have 1.7cm of Calcified Styloid with IJV Compression on the Left and 3.3cm of Calcified Styloid on the Right (POSTOP)

I havent tried reaching out to my Surgeon because i just feel let down, cheated, honestly… the measurements dont match up to the Pictures that were shown to me and my Brain Injury and the fact that my Brain just doesnt process or work properly due to the Attack I endured, I just dont even want to hear what he has to say…

I am becoming more and more Symptomatic as the days go by, I just want to be myself again!! I just want to be well!! I want to be understood!! I want to LIVE!!

The 29th of this Month will be 1 year since the Attack that Triggered all of this and I just cant believe that this is my life now!! And on top of it all, my 17 year old Daughter is having a Tonsillectomy on June 1 and NOBODY understands why I am FREAKING OUT about it!!

Sorry, had to vent…

My point of the post though, I have a Revision Appointment with Hackman May 11… I live in FL, but I am DETERMINED to make it to the Appointment, somehow… any Tips on cheap Flights, Hotels, etc? Also, i still have a bit of Out aof Pocket costs to reach for my Insurance… ANY ADVICE, PLEASE!! I REALLY NEED THIS!!!

2 Likes

I’m really glad you reached out to Dr. Hackman for help. I’m so sorry your surgeries didn’t go as expected but admire your determination to get the help you need for full recovery.

@Ddmarie saw Dr. Hackman for surgery & mentioned there’s some low cost housing for patients near the hospital. I’m not sure if you can stay there if you aren’t recovering from surgery, but it would be worth it to ask Dr. Hackman’s ofc about it.

As far as cheap flights go there is a phone app called CheapOair that searches for the cheapest flights, hotel rooms, etc. The cheapest flights I’ve found in the past have been on Allegiant, but they tack on charges if you choose your seat (if you don’t choose one, they assign it w/o the extra charge), & for checking luggage & maybe even for a carry on. Even w/ that, the cost to fly w/ Allegiant is usually lower. Check out CheapOair to make sure.

I hope others have suggestions, too.

2 Likes

Hello
Thanks for tagging me! Yes, there are cheaper discounts that you can get for hotel stays! The number is 1-877-633-8729. When you call just tell them you are being seen at UNC. They ask you a few additional questions but nothing crazy. Saved a ton of money it was a 4th of what we would’ve paid. And if they don’t mention a place that you are wanting to stay just tell them where you want to stay and they will give you a discount on that. We stayed at the Tru we like it. Went there for our initial consultation and went there and stayed post surgery wasn’t on their initial list. Great experience. Please feel free to message me if you have any additional questions. Wishing you all the best. :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you, @Ddmarie! I knew you’d come through for me!! How are you doing these days? :hugs:

3 Likes

Thank you so much!!!

2 Likes

Sending message…

So sorry that you need a revision surgery, that’s really tough for you…I’m glad @Ddmarie was able to give you info, it’s great that we can help each other here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I’ll make a note of the date & will pray, & hoping it goes well for your daughter too…

2 Likes

Aww thank you !! Absolutely always happy to help whenever I can!
I am doing okay. I still have issues with my left side. Just got the approval for the MRI that Dr H ordered for me so that appointment is next month. I am very grateful that he is continuing to try to help me. Being in a new area it’s hard to find a new primary dr let alone a dr that understands without having to try to explain things all over again (which is what we all did for years already right lol) so I am grateful to him. So we shall see what that brings. I am able to function without always feeling like I’m going to pass out so that’s been huge for me.
I’m not a great healer and still think that those stitches they used did not like me. I am super sensitive to everything. Lol :woman_facepalming:t3: lucky me hahah!
Appreciate hearing from you thank you!! :heart:

3 Likes

Avelo airlines now have cheap flights from Florida to RDU.

3 Likes

Thank you for this great info, @Zoe!!

1 Like

Thank you!!!

@MamaBear6 I had surgery with Dr. Hackman on January 13th. I flew down the night before (I had a friend who got my ticket for me with their miles) and stayed at a Marriott. I ubered to my surgery, stayed one night in the hospital and then stayed one night at a friend’s in NC and then flew home with no issues. Days 3-5 are the worst so I wanted to get home before day 3 came. I wanted to let you know how soon I flew home and that I was ok. Dr. Hackman will tell you that you can fly home within a day if you feel up to it. Honestly, I could’ve flown home the day I left the hospital. Once they take the drains out you feel better. I hope that helps a bit :-).

3 Likes

Can you or anybody else tell me the cost ( ball park ) to a patient with only Medicare A and B for external approach surgery for ES? I live in the Rep of Panama. I know the surgery has been done here but I would prefer to go to the USA . Medicare is my only insurance in the USA. Thanks

I don’t know the answer to your question @WEASEL. I have Medicare plus Medicare supplemental insurance & had a major surgery last year that was completely covered because I went to a Medicare provider.

Without a Medicare supplement to pick up the expenses Medicare doesn’t cover, you would most likely bear a part of the total cost of surgery. It would be important for you to see a doctor who is a Medicare provider in order to get maximum coverage by Medicare. Also, different doctors charge different amounts for ES surgery. Dr. Cognetti in Philadelphia is the most economical for people don’t have insurance coverage & need to pay cash.

1 Like

Responding to @MamaBear6. I had a question about the average cost of an ES surgery (assuming it’s fairly uncomplicated ) I am in the discovery stage for what is thought to be ES. I just want to say that yours and others experiences are helping me navigate the gauntlet. I appreciate you all. I certainly wish you well MamaBear and do hope the happy ending is near.

2 Likes

Im not sure how much the much the Surgeries cost, I would have to look back on my past Insurance Claims to see what they charged… I am, however, hoping to have a Revision with Dr. Hackman… I am currently in North Carolina for an Appointment with him tomorrow… I wish you the best!!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!! My Surgery is Scheduled for June 19, which is a Monday, and I am trying to figure out flights and rooms now…

2 Likes

Hope you can get all that sorted… :hugs: :pray: