SOS Sad and worried after intraoral surgery

Hello Dear friends. I really hope to get a reply from those who have had the intraoral surgery.

13 days ago my ENT removed 1.5 and 2 cm from left and right respectively. I still feel a foreign body sensation and contractions in my thoath. Ear and neck pain the same. Painful.

My friends, is this normal part of the recovery or my surgery was unsuccessful. Tell me about your personal experience and how long it took to get rid of symptoms after a surgery. I was really hoping to get my life back. Now totally down and sad.

Otherwise maybe I should consider an external approach like many other. Thanks for your advice.

Hi Valeriana,

I think it's too soon to tell. It takes a while to recover from an intraoral surgery. I've had one intraoral surgery and 3 external surgeries and the intraoral does takes longer to heal.

I think you need a couple months to fully heal, so don't be too discouraged.

Good luck!

Hi Heidemt and tks for your answer. I have an appointment with my Dr today and will talk to him about my symptoms.

I agree with you that it might take a while to start feeling relieve. I guess the nerves, tendons, etc have been inflamated for a long time (in my case more than 8 years with pain) and it will not just go away after a few days.

I guess the reason why you had external was because the internal was not enough to relieve your symptoms. Do you think its easier to recover from the external surgery?

Cheers!

I guess the reason why you had external was because the internal was not enough to relieve your symptoms. Do you think its easier to recover from the external surgery?

Yes, I had a revision surgery because the 1st one didn't get enough of the styloid. The first (intraoral) surgery helped, but not enough.

Yes, I definitely thought it was easier recovering from an external surgery.

Good luck!!!

Valeriana2013--

I've had both: 3 external and 1 internal. The externals were practically pain free-except for the removal of the drain and that the wrong thing or not enough was removed during 2 of the externals. The last one I had was internal and kept me out for 2 weeks due to pain and swallowing was impossible and the attempts to swallow cause a stitch pop out-I moved to much. once the swelling went down I could feel that the pain of the ES was reduced too-my doctor said that it might take up to a year to recover as much as possible. just eat soft food did not help. I was told it was going to feel like an adult tonsillectomy. But it took few weeks to heal now its been a year and seems ok.

You need to ask if the amounts removed was enough to end up with about 1cm remaining. I had one shortened with no relief of pain-didn't think that partial removal was even an option. In 1990 I had 3cm removed back past my ear area and when I woke up I really noticed it was done well.

I really hope your pain is due to the healing and swelling of surgery intraoral took more time to heal.

Thanks so much for the answer Shaw. I still have around 3.5 cm on the left side where is my pain and most of the problem. I think he took too little of it. The think is the pain goes all along my left side and also my left arm and leg hurts. Its been like this for many years and even now after surgery.

I will wait a couple of months to see. I will send you an email with another question. Tks for your time and for your help

The doctor may not have removed enough. It happened to me. I required two surgeries on the same side of my neck. I first had the transoral procedure done. But it failed and I was still having symptoms, just less severe. The surgeon didn't believe me, so I found a second one. I had the external neck procedure done and it cured almost all of my symptoms. I still have headache/head pain for some unknown reason.

Hi Badeagle, hope you are doing better than you were. Valeriana, the intraoral took me 11 weeks to start feeling like I might not still have Eagles and about 6 months more to feel well. Still have some pain, may not be Eagles.

emma said:

Hi Badeagle, hope you are doing better than you were. Valeriana, the intraoral took me 11 weeks to start feeling like I might not still have Eagles and about 6 months more to feel well. Still have some pain, may not be Eagles.

more info Valeriana2013:

My left styloid was 7.5 cm long and 3.5cm was removed in 2003 with no change in symptoms. In fact it was clipped to the same length as my right one before surgery in 1990. When that one was removed to 1cm all my symptoms were gone in the recovery room.

2.5cm of left one was removed last September enough to where I can't feel it, so it is short enough not to cause all the various pain symptoms (ear, neck, throat, head). this surprised my surgeon as my CT showed it only to be 0.9cm longer than the right one. So CT's don't show everything I learned and he did to.

For some reason we end up teaching these doctors more about this than they thought they knew.

Valeriana2013 said:

Thanks so much for the answer Shaw. I still have around 3.5 cm on the left side where is my pain and most of the problem. I think he took too little of it. The think is the pain goes all along my left side and also my left arm and leg hurts. Its been like this for many years and even now after surgery.

I will wait a couple of months to see. I will send you an email with another question. Tks for your time and for your help

Oh ask me what you want to know.

Heidemt and I are in a contest for the worst surgical outcome possible. It's a tie I think. nothing to brag about but we share many surgical screw-ups and hellish doctor searches. It took 17 years and 2 malpracticey surgeries to finally get my left one removed completely. Wrong part removed and not enough of correct part removed. Now I can feel the outcome of the surgery where the wrong thing was removed and the doctor didn't even know it and kicked me out of his office when I told him the styloid was the same as before the surgery. It took a few weeks and some x-rays to find out what was removed instead.

My first were external as my 1990 surgeon said it was best to get the best angle to remove the most and the chance of infection was low. If I didn't mind scar--After more than a year of pain getting the most out was my goal. and the healing was easy compared to internal but my 2013 surgeon felt that because of the amount of scar tissue I had from the 2 failed left side external surgeries he didn't want to cut through it. turned out ok but hurt a lot more than external.

Alright thanks for the pic. My styloid was much shorter. I will upload a pic.

My question is about the external surgery but I will chat instead. Tks tks for all the info

shaw said:

Oh ask me what you want to know.

I am now almost 2 months post op, I had the same type of surgery and I feel no different. I had it on one side and the foreign body feeling is still there. I know how you feel, I just don't know what to do anymore.

Hello Natalie,

Hang in there! We are here for you. I am doing all the investigations to get my problem resolved. Look at the replies of the others. Maybe trough the external way they are able to remove more of the styloid.

I want to find an experienced surgeon this time and I am willing to travel to the US (I live in Sweden) if its necessary. Don't give up. I will keep you updated.

Vanessa