Stylohyoid Ligament & Hyoid Bone Surgery | Bonn, Germany, 04/05/18 and 05/30/18

MIchael …I do hope you feel better each day and are fully recovered soon!

1 Like

Thanks to Ibuprofen it‘s better already.
If anyone reads this in the future: Be prepared for a rollercoaster ride as to the healing process after surgery. It‘s like some nerves randomly well up again, but it‘s different from the old Eagle pain. Oh, and your smile might be a little crooked in the beginning. :wink:

And they‘ve taken out part of my hyoid bone, which surely is a major surgical intervention, so I guess my healing process is pretty normal.

I‘ll update this regularly, reckon it might be useful for people in the future.

Sorry for the down day, but you’re right. The pain will come & go in cycles but as time passes the distance between periods of pain will increase & the intensity of the pain will decrease. Sounds like you’re doing a good job of listening to your body & complying w/ its “requests”. Keep up the good work & you’ll be up & around in no time!

:grin:

1 Like

I’m 12 days post op now and I get what you’re saying about being up and down during recovery and nerves flaring. My glossopharyngeal neuralgia paid me a revisit 2 days ago, although it’s not as painful as before surgery. I really hope it goes away for good because that and the foreign body sensation in the right side of my throat are my most bothersome symptoms along with the dizziness, head pressure and near fainting episodes (which have completely resolved thank God!)

2 Likes

I can totally relate to that. The pressure/pain on the right side just below the skull and the glossopharyngeal-like pain in the back of the throat keep welling up now and then. In a weird way, it is always there latently. These are the two symptoms - next to temple pain - that are most bothersome for me, too, but I’m positive they’ll resolve in the next two to three months.
But I don’t feel restricted anymore when talking, and I can finally yawn again. My jaw feels so much more relaxed - smiling is actually fun again, which is an enormous relief. Plus my right jaw feels better than the left one at the moment - I can already feel a massive difference to my left side. So I will definitely undergo surgery for the left side, too.

All the best to you!

Oh my goodness yes! I no longer have muscle spasms and trigger points in my masseter (cheek) muscle. Being able to swallow easily again and turn my head without pain is a glorious feeling! I do have an elongated process on my left side but as of now I am asymptomatic, which is fine by me, haha! If it starts acting up I will definitely pursue surgery again. Best of luck to you with your healing & many blessings to you my fellow Eagle’s warrior!

2 Likes

Michael…any idea what the cost of your surgery was in Germany??

1 Like

We‘ve got a great health care system here. I didn‘t have to pay for surgery, my health insurance covered the costs.

Feeling better today. Things are massively on the up. But again, don‘t want to sound too euphoric. :wink:

1 Like

Day 7: Feeling good today. Again on Ibuprofen (3x 600mg a day), but the pain on the right side is mostly gone. I can talk and breathe just as in my best days. Madness, over the moon at the moment.
Don‘t want to jinx it though, I‘ll stay patient and low-key.

1 Like

Thank you for the update, Michael. Good for you for keeping your head & not getting too energetic in spite of how good you’re feeling. There will be many good days ahead to “make up for lost time”!!

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

DAY 8: Up and down, jaw pain is quite persistent but it get‘s weaker every day.
Still on Ibuprofen.

My right side feels quite relaxed now compared to my left side. Looking forward to round 2!

Day 10: I’m feeling well today. A tiny bit of the globus sensation left and the neck pain hasn’t quite subsided yet (it’s mostly gone on the right side - apart from a dull sensation below the skull - but obviously pretty much the same on the left side). Tomorrow my GP is going to remove the stitches.

Generally quite relaxed, my jaw isn’t causing any issues at the moment. Speaking, breathing, yawning, coughing - it all feels natural again.

That’s really good news, keep up the good work! :wink:

YIPPEE!! YAHOO!!! So glad you’re healing is progressing well!

:clap:

Day 11: Bit of an off-day. I’m back at Uni and might have overdone things a little.

Stinging sensation in my throat as well as jaw and neck pain come and go.

You never know till you try something if it’s doable so good for you for “testing the waters”. Just keep a low profile & rest as you can even while at school. I’ll say a prayer for you right now that your body will adjust quickly to the schedule you need to follow & that you will learn how to navigate your days to keep them less stressful.

1 Like

I’ll update this thread every week from now on. Today I don’t feel well at all, pain deep in my throat on the right side as well as massive neck and temple pain. My right stomach and chest cause issues too. I can’t swallow food properly either, there’s always tiny bits getting stuck in my throat on the right side.

But again, I expected setbacks. I just hate this burning, itching sensation in my throat, it just drives you mad.

I’m sorry you feel worse today. Perhaps a bit too much activity yesterday. Rest, ice, ibruprofen as needed - all will help. I hope tomorrow is a much better day!
:pray: :sunny: :rose:

1 Like

Hope that you have a better day today, Michael…

1 Like

Update: It’s now three weeks since I had surgery, and I do feel better than before. In fact, it’s better than I was hoping for. Jaw pain isn’t as bad as it used to be and I can go fairly regularly to Uni.

However, my main symptoms (pain below the skull, weird tingling sensations all over my face and that damned stinging foreign body sensation) are persistent. My chest and stomach are tight as ever, breathing and talking is weird and I’ve got a constant feeling that I’ve to cough whenever I move my jaw. Swallowing gradually gets better, though.

Tomorrow, I’ll go swimming again and I’m positive that my symptoms will decrease over time. Glad I’ve kept my expectations low, that really pays off when you have worse days.