Surgery coming up

I had my pre op appointment this morning and I’m feeling incredibly good about my decision and have even more clarity now. I saw Dr Hepworth’s NP, Allison, who is amazing, smart, hilarious and personable! She really put me at ease. I confirmed they will remove the styloid at the skull base and the calcified ligament. They’ll also clear my jugular in that whole area, sort of untangle it from anything else pressing on it. Then, Dr Annest the vascular surgeon, or a surgeon in his practice, will do a venogram to make sure the jugular vein opens, and if it doesn’t due to it having been squished for a while, then they will balloon it. If I have to have it ballooned I may need to take a blood thinner and/or aspirin for a while after but that is just fine with me.

Allison the NP helped me understand that the plavix is more like a band aid, and that long term they really wouldn’t want me on it unless it was the only option, due to increased risks of bleeding. I got a refill of the muscle relaxer to tide me over until surgery, since I can’t take the plavix or ibuprofen in the coming weeks. After surgery Dr H prescribes Norco for pain and Ambien to help with sleep which is very reassuring because sleeping and eating after surgery are my two biggest concerns. Also no Covid test, no blood work before, just not supposed to eat after midnight! Everyone at Dr. H’s office was extremely chill and knowledgeable about what to expect with this surgery which actually made me feel more at ease because that tells me they have a lot of experience with it. Overall I HIGHLY, highly recommend them… such amazing people and so incredibly helpful.

I’m feeling emotionally very good and very ready to have this damn bone in my head removed. I also found a pregnancy pillow i am going to get for neck support and have a good list going of things to get from the store. Thank you all for helping me be more informed about it this and also for the support! You’ve all been soooo helpful, I’m so grateful for this forum I can’t even put it into words. Will keep updating as surgery gets closer! Oct 13 is the day at 8:30 am. Fingers crossed all goes as planned!

3 Likes

So pleased for you that you were so reassured by Dr Hepworth’s NP, it sounds like they’re a good practice! Nice to hear that you’ve found this forum helpful too! I hope that the next couple of weeks go quickly for you so you’re not in pain too long! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi blossom!

What a fabulous pre-op appt you had! So glad Allison is excellent at her job. The only thing you might ask about is getting an Rx for a course of post op prednisone as it helps so much to reduce swelling in the throat after surgery. I had two external surgeries, & after each one I had a lot of swelling in my throat. It was prednisone that saved the day & helped reduce that problem so it was tolerable. If Dr. Hepworth places a drain tube in your incision, you may not need the prednisone. Just some last minute questions to ask. :heart:

1 Like

Thanks! I have read about the prednisone and I’m sure it does help… I’m going to take a “wait and see” and ask them about it if I need it. I just absolutely hate steroids. I am completely miserable anytime I have to take them — can’t sleep, I get weird leg pain, super moody, etc. She never mentioned a drain just sutures coming out at the post op but who knows.

2 Likes

I have the same reactions to prednisone except the leg pain. I can’t sleep, get really grumpy & am super hyper when taking it. It has been helpful when I’ve needed it but I do HATE the side effects!

1 Like

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery…I love that you posted this as I see Dr H Oct 15 and it is very comforting he is such a great doctor. I am like most on here lots of health problems from the styloids and not so good doctors finally now some answers from all the great people on here too. Hugs to everyone.

3 Likes

I’m so glad your appointment is coming up soon, Greatpersun. Can’t wait to hear how it goes & what you learn. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you I will be sure to post about my visit hugs

3 Likes

Everyday I am off plavix my pain worsens :sob: it’s so bad today I had to take a tramadol, which I haven’t needed this whole past year. Tylenol does nothing at this point. Ice is really the only help right now. I am so, so ready to feel better!!!

Not long now, hang in there…at least you’re sure it’s the right thing to do now! thinking of you, hugs :hugs:

1 Like

I’m sorry for your pain but glad for the clear confirmation that surgery is the right decision. I’m also glad your surgery is soon. Take it easy, rest & relax as much as you can pre-op. You’ll be up & at 'em again after that bugger is gone.

:hugs:

1 Like