Surgery Tomorrow at Northwestern in Chicago with Dr Bove

Thank you eddies3!!! If you are anywhere near the Chicago area I would strongly suggest a consult with him!!!

Minnesota...like FDR said..the only thing you have to fear is fear itself...one of my doctors told me never give up...keep going until you find a doctor your truly trust!!!!!

Great news for those in the Chicago area. Glad you are doing well.

Hello Imunique! And everyone!
Your post has me in tears!
I’ve been suffering with ES for years but only recently diagnosed! This site has given me hope and I have learned so much and even taught my GP alot too, lol
But, I’ve only really wanted to see Dr. Samji because of every thing that I’ve read on this site nd no Chicago Drs that sounded promising.
I really am most concerned with relief nd keeping my smile :grinning:
I’m a little confused, maybe some of you can help me to understand??!
I thought that the best way was externally? Not internally in order to get the most of the Styloid?
I’m still waiting for an order of a 3D CT but I’m pretty convinced that it’s messing with my Artery.
Anyway, so far I can’t get my insurance to approve me going out of state. Any suggestions to win that fight?
I’d love more information about Dr. Bove since I’m in Chicago area. But I’d still love to see Samji!!! I’m so confused and tired of being engulf in this cloud of agony!!!
I know that GOD is Sovereign and in Control!
Thanks!!!

External surgery does give the doctors a better chance of getting more of the styloid process out- although sometimes the doctors can’t get all the styloid out that way either, say if a nerve is wrapped round it. But some doctors prefer to do internal surgery and lots of members have had successful surgeries that way. As long as they get the part out which is compressing an artery etc. then hopefully it would be a good result!

HI LaughingRocks2

A CT scan with or without contrast is the choice of most doctors for ES diagnosis. Dr. Samji prefers a CT without contrast. He is a fabulous & well respected surgeon. Dr. Samji did my surgeries (11/14 & 8/15). I’ve had excellent results. He does use the external approach & cuts the styloid back as close to the skull as possible. He uses a specialized technique to monitor nerve activity in the surgical area so he knows when he’s infringing on delicate nerve tissue & can avoid damaging it. Other doctors who use the external approach may do this, too.

There are several people on this site who’ve had very successful surgeries done by Dr. Bove. Your best bet to learn more about Dr. Bove & his approach would be to make an consultation appointment with him & form your own opinion regarding what he tells you. You can always bring what he says to this forum and ask questions of those who’ve already had surgery by him or other doctors for the purpose of “comparing notes.”

I can imagine your frustration at being limited to local doctor choices by your insurance. Thankfully, though, you do have insurance! I’m sorry I don’t know how to fight the insurance battle, but I know there are others on this forum who’ve had similar issues.

I will pray that God will guide you to the best possible surgeon that your insurance will cover and that you will have peace about the choice you make.

:relaxed:

Not sure if this is helpful to you (near enough?), but this discussion also mentions a couple of docs in the Chicago area:

Hi!!

I had my surgery with Dr Bove at northwestern in Chicago. He was so amazing before, during and after!!! I am 3 years pain free. I remember being on the table when they woke me up and saying i have no more pain!! I strongly urge you to talk to him!!! Let me know if you need anything!! ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ is my personal email, contact me at ANY time!! Hugs, Joy

Hello Isaiah 40-31! This was great information!!! Then maybe I can take that to my big medical group and tell them what Dr. Samji does different then maybe I can get it approved!!?? I think if I can prove that Samji is much more successful then I think I have a shot??
I sincerely appreciate your input and your prayers! It’s kinda silly with my daily pain level that I am worried about being able to smile after but I am :slight_smile:

Thank you Jules!! I sincerely appreciate your efforts in finding that thread for me! I’m going to give my medical group some additional information that Isaiah just gave me about the extra neeve testing and see if that would convince them. I probably have to ask these Chicago Dr. If they test the nerves during surgery. I really don’t want internal with everything that I’ve read on this site. You guys are great!!!

1 Like

Welcome to the nest.

I ended up having to pay for Dr. Samji out of pocket and I don’t regret it; his technique was so superior to what I was being offered to me by my HMO. I’m smiling as I heading back for my second side!

Thank you Seamom, I sincerely appreciate it especially the smiling all the way part !!! :joy: I need to try to get insurance to pay. I highly doubt I can afford thousands and thousands of dollars to pay privately! :disappointed_relieved:

Hello Joy,
Wow, I don’t know how I missed your response!! I appreciate your feedback! I will look into Dr. Bove.
I’m scheduled to have a doppler of my cartoid artery tomorrow. I have pretty intense pressure at that are nd that worsens when I bend over. I may email you, I just work looooong nd hard hours nd not very good at emailing nd I guess posting either lol.
I also got the script for a CT. I just need to schedule it. I want to have both these so hopefully they will help push the issue!!
Thanks to everyone!! I couldn’t make it without knowing that I am not craZy!!!

Hope that it shows something (in a nice way- I mean that hope it justifies your symptoms!)