Surgery Update!

I'm back home- surgery went well - I think! I had a drain stitched in overnight so that was pretty painful, and am quite swollen; definitely haven't felt 'instant' relief of symptoms, so will have to wait for things to settle down and try to be patient! I can talk fine though, move my tongue all right, and swallowing is just a bit uncomfortable. I have some numbness around my ear, but had a pressure bandage put on overnight too, so that didn't help! On codeine for the pain but now the drain is out it's not too bad anyway- nowhere near as bad as I expected! Have a bump and a bruise coming out on my forehead (!!?!!)- think they must have dropped something on me in the theatre!

So thanks again for all the prayers and good wishes, and thinking of you others who're having surgery too!

Hi Jules. I feel for you. I hope it begins to settle down soon.
Good luck

Good to hear that it wasn't as bad as you thought it would be... You sound like you are in excellent spirits! I love the theater comment. I am going to try to think of it as if I am going to get a haircut. We'll see how long that lasts... My surgery date got moved from today to June 5th.

Let us know how you progress.

Take it easy!

Susan

Glad you are doing ok. I am on week two recovery and slowly feeling better. Hope to be back to work by the end of May. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Hi Jules. I'm so happy you're home and feeling good enough to update us. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly. I'm surprised you didn't get quick relief from the vascular symptoms. I sure hope they die down soon.

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Thanks for the update. I was praying for you on surgery day, and will continue to…hugs and prayers from Michigan!

Jules, thanks for the update. I hope your recovery continues to go well. Best wishes.

Great to hear! Wishing for a speedy recovery for you! Also, the bump on the forehead is probably from a holder they put you in to secure the head in place so that it doesn't shift around during the surgery. "Mayfield head holder" is one form of it.

Beary, you're such a good source of information for us.

Wonderful to hear. Did they also take the tonsil?

Prayers and positive vibes" Godspeed with your recovery
:slight_smile:

Glad its going well Jules. Hopefully soon you notice some relief

Thanks again to all of you for your well-wishes! Had a great night's sleep last night, back in my own bed! AND I could lie on my back- before the op I would get some scary symptoms from the IH I think so could only lie on the 'good' side, so that was lovely too!

Beary-hadn't thought of that, you could be right! Winterinmn- I had external surgery, so tonsils are intact, thankfully. That must be extra painful to recover from. Susan- I hope that you can hang in there until your surgery. And Gramus, I hope that you continue healing and feeling better!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and that all your symptoms will soon be resolved.

Glad to hear from you. I hope things get better and better each day! x

I agree w/ Beary on the cause of the bump and bruise on your head. I came home w/ a very black bruise on my shoulder and was given a similar explanation regarding the surgeon's need to clamp our bodies down so we can't move at all during this surgery. There are too many critical body components exposed that could be damaged if we got "twitchy" under anesthesia so they essentially immobilize us. So glad for this forethought on the part of the surgical staff.

I will ask him when I go back for my 6 week check up! I have a couple of small bruises coming out on my face too now! My neck feels less stiff each day, and I'm feeling well! Didn't need any painkillers other than one lot of paracetemol last night!

That's great Jules!!! So happy for you, continue with the great healing process and PLEASE keep us update with your recovery. It really helps us, the ones that can't seem to find the right doctor to help us & keep getting brushed off for surgery. So happy for you! :)

Thanks tbone- keep on trying with the docs; I would never have a found the surgeon if it hadn't been for this site!

I'm certainly feeling more comfortable today- cleaned my teeth a bit better, as I've not been able to open my mouth very far! I can talk okay though, so I can boss all the family about!! I'm still getting some pulsing in my head and neck (intracranial hypertension symptoms I think), which I thought would've gone completely.... but I guess the right side is still there causing a few symptoms...! It's very numb all around my neck, jaw and ear of the side which has been done, and my neck gets very tight if I do too much, but it's early days yet!

Interesting about the neck. I only had the partial removal last year and ever since I have neck problems with it tightening up that I never had before surgery. Have no idea how a partial removal would cause that. At least you had the full job and wont end up needing more surgery like I do. Keep feeling better.