Symptoms after Both side surgery

Hi Everyone
Just curious if anyone still experiencing symptoms after surgery on both side. I am 3mos post op on the left side and 1 month post op on the right side. I still feel tongue burn, feeling uneasy in the back of the throat when try to swallow saliva like the muscle in that left side area is not coordinating well. Numbness under my chin on both sides. My doc told me it is still too early for me to loose hope. I need to wait at least for 6mos to see results. But seeing other people get relief after a few weeks post op, I started to worry if my throat issue is not from ES, perhaps from the esophagus? However I have no problem swallowing food or drinking fluid. Any one has any idea what could I have? Or it’s just as my doc said, it takes time for healing? I am going to do an endoscopy in February to check out the esophagus. Meanwhile, I wish to hear your valuable opinions. Thanks for listening to my vent…

1 Like

Hi I have not had surgery yet, so I don’t know from my own experience, only that I have read others stories to find out what to expect myself, first off don’t be worried about any thing, I have read it could take a wee bit longer before things get back to normal.
Some are more lucky than others
If it wasn’t for bad luck I would have no luck at all. :grin:

4 Likes

Your doctor’s right, it is too early to tell the long term results. We’ve had members who have had improvements even a year after surgery! Some of us see some improvements quickly, but it’s equally common for symptoms to take longer. You might be left with some niggles, but I’m sure that as long as the doctor who did your surgery removed most of the styloid, you should see the bulk of symptoms go. Your surgeries were quite close together, so the first side will still be healing too, which could perhaps be causing the uneasy feeling as everything’s adjusting?
I do still have some numbness around my ears after surgery, but that’s better than pain! My mouth does burn at times, not sure if that’s from ES or not, if it’s too bad I rinse with diluted bicarbonate of soda, that helps. Some nerve pain medications can help too- if this bothers you alot then it might be worth looking into.
So hang in there, & try not to worry, early days…

2 Likes

Seconding what Jules said, it’s too early to tell long term results. I am 5mos post-surgery on my left side and still have some numbness/tingling in that area. I’m 1wk post right-side surgery, still having difficulty controlling tongue movement and needing to focus intensely if I’m trying to converse with anyone for a significant period. Some people have immediate relief, others take more time. You and your feelings are valid!

2 Likes

Thanks Jules for the encouragement. I am keeping my fingers cross.

1 Like

Thanks Anharris?

Thanks Optimistic?

Hi Mon50,

Just want to say that I’m 6 years out from my first ES surgery & am still noticing nerves healing that were irritated by surgery. It took me about a year after each of my surgeries to receive the full benefit of each surgery. Pain can come & go as you heal so expect that as well. Patience is key when healing from ES surgery. You’ll feel much better in 6 months than you do now & even better by a year after surgery.

2 Likes

Thanks Isaiah!

1 Like

You’re most welcome!

1 Like