Thankful for you all

Minimal crunchy swallows today. Maximum pain and swelling. Managing it all just fine. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Keep up the good work! You’ll be over the top of this “hill” and moving down the other side very soon! The journey should be more flat after that.

:gift_heart: :sunflower:

Here is my post for today. I am hesitant to write it because I don’t want to be too negative but I figured this place was all about being real.
Yesterday and today (day 5 and 6) I am definitely having that dip in the recovery where swelling and pain increase. I’ve only been taking 3 Norcos a day, I can take 8. Upping that now. Lots of ice. I’m not very comfortable in general though. Sometimes I have an occasional funky swallow that makes me want to rip my hair out. It’s similar to the click but not the click but close enough that I feel manic for half a second. Just a weird and odd gulp thing that’s just not right. But they are few and far between. And I’m feeling a good seal when I do have great swallows. I’m trying not to focus on the bad swallows.
I have good support, good food, the incision site looks ok and a I have a very cozy nest. Patience and trust needed. Thanks for listening. :pray::purple_heart::slight_smile:

You’ve been through this before, so you know this is a temporary blip, the next couple of days might be tricky but it should improve soon! Hang in there & try to not to worry…you know it works! :+1::pray:

3 Likes

SewMomma ~

YOU CAN DO THIS! Your body has proven its ability to heal, & it does that well based on your first surgery, BUT it takes time. So glad you’re in a healing environment. Settle into your “nest” & enjoy its comfort.

:blush:

2 Likes

Struggling here friends. I would never expect for a post like this to be coming out of me on day 7 based on now things have gone so far. I had an absolutely terrible night last night. Something woke me up at 1:00 this morning. It was none other than my long lost friend…the click. I came very close to panicking. My husband was right by my side and suggested I take a Norco and just try to make it through the night and we would talk in the morning. It worked and I was able to sleep. I woke up at 7:00 and the click was still there. It’s on the right which was my original surgical side. It’s not as strong as the original click but it’s a crunchy pop each time I swallow. I’m scared, dumbfounded, despondent, upset. I managed to get up and get myself to my little nest on the couch with my pillow, blanket, stack of books, iPad and bowl of oatmeal. Passing the time at this point. Gonna fake it til I make it.
Disappointing to say the least. But, and I might have a logical explanation for it. With the calcified ligaments in, my hyoid was snagging on something and making a bone cracking noise/sensation. Now that the ligaments are gone, it shouldn’t snag any more, right? Only one thing could make the hyoid snag on something at this point. Swelling. So it’s completely logical that the amount of swelling from the surgery would be pushing the hyoid into places where it shouldn’t be right?
I am very close to spinning out but by the grace of God I am working on shutting off my brain. I just have to make it through the recovery process to truly see the result of surgery. I would appreciate any and all encouragement and explanation of why I’m still having symptoms I had before surgery. My brain could use a ledge upon which to rest. The click is like a bad nightmare I’m reliving. :weary:

@SewMomma lots of anatomy surrounding the hyoid and it’s all upset right now. I know it’s hard, but please give it more time. Although my ligaments weren’t calcified, I had some similar issues with lingering symptoms. Most everything has now resolved except for the pain in the thyroid/larynx area which is transient anyway. My clicky, uncoordinated swallowing has improved significantly and I no longer choke on fluids, but this was a gradual recovery. I’m happy to hear that you came through safely. Will be praying for you! :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you @redbird773. You’ve helped me now.

Hey SewMomma
As Modsupport I drop by here just to have a look and see that all is fine. And you have been one of the constant supporters, now it’s time for others to support you.

Pain and discomfort is never a good thing, so please do not take this the wrong way. But we have some members who just come and read. There are many positive stories here and some very positive people, but seeing that even some of our most positive community members also have times when they are not all ‘sunshine and bubbles’ can also be of great support to others who are, and have had to, deal with this condition.

Pain can be very isolating, others who have never been in such discomfort really can have no idea just how bad this reality can be. I do hope that it all settles down but as Redbird states ‘It’s a gradual recovery’.
Wishing you the very best.

Merl from the Moderator Support Team

4 Likes

I definitely know what you mean. It would be a huge disservice to this wonderful support group if I sugarcoated my suffering right now. :orange_heart::pray:

4 Likes

Keep patient, easier said than done I know, but remember how up & down your last surgery recovery was? It can be one step forwards & 2 back…get as much rest as you can to let your body heal, & try not to think about those swallows; as long as they’re better than they were then that’s progress…thinking of you :bouquet:

Thanks Jules. You are right, I have had enough of an improvement to know that the surgery was a huge success. I slept straight through last night after a wise decision to make it an early bedtime. I woke up having some absolutely beautiful swallows. Easy, coordinated, smooth, sealed, painless. It was fabulous. After I got up and moved around, it was back to someone flicking me in the throat each time I swallow. But I’m not quite as panicked as I was about it yesterday. Just going about my little routine and trying to not magnify the situation. Last time my tongue made a huge turnaround so I must hope this flukey swallow is simply related to the swelling. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Oh the ups and downs we go through of this very unpleasant medical condition! I can totally relate with you SewMomma! I was really hoping and wanting nothing more than my ear problems to go away after surgery and when it came back it was very discouraging!!
I still have 1 more side to go so I’m hanging on to some hope. I do know the surgery was needed because it successfully cured my long standing head pressure so when I’m feeling distressed I remind myself of this. I believe our bodies have amazing healing capabilities and now that we’re removing interferences it will have an easier time repairing itself! Unfortunately, the road of recovery is long and winding with lot’s of bumps along the way! I’m praying every day that we’re on our way to smoother paths and calmer seas! One day we’ll feel good and carefree!!! A mantra that helps me is, “It’s temporary”
Another thing that helps me when my mind wants to spin out is listening to a Radio Station called Family Radio. Here in the West Coast it’s on 88.1 or you can download the app. I practically have it playing 24/7. It’s very comforting :innocent: Hope you find relief soon!! :pray:

2 Likes

Hi SewMomma!

Your experience w/ sleeping vs being upright could be an AHA moment. When you sleep, for the most part, you’re totally relaxed thus symptoms subside, but once you’re up, everything (muscles, ligament, nerves, brain, nervous system, etc.) has to snap to attention. Once they’re up & running, what was relaxed & comfy may tense up a bit to handle the new load. That tensing, may cause a bit of extra inflammation & thus some symptoms may tag along just to remind you from whence you have come. As Jules noted, it can feel like 1 step forward & 2 back, but look at your overall progress, not the regress. The progress is greater!! That’s something to smile about!

:grin: :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing. I will try to embrace the bumps as you say! The radio sounds lovely. Anything to take our minds off things right?! :blue_heart:

Trying to trust. Tonight I had some absolutely wonderful, perfect swallows. But then out of nowhere I get a swallow with this punching feeling right in the middle of my throat. Grrrrr. I did email the surgeon. He said it was most likely related to swelling and we’ll monitor it. Hour by hour I’m trying to relax, rest, eat, drink, laugh and be grateful. But I’m scared because I’m human. Jesus I trust in you. I really pray this all settles. I get excited when I do have good swallows. :star_struck:

1 Like

Your day started out great. Beautiful swallows. Like I haven’t gotten in a year and a half. The swallows went downhill from that but I’m looking at that as a good sign. Backing off pain meds but icing often. Doin ok. So excited about the good swallows I’ve had.

2 Likes

Well done! Guess Isaiah’s theory makes sense…

Day 11. ,Slow eating today of soft foods - oatmeal, soup, pudding, mashed potatoes…it all went down well. Some funky swallows here and there but not a big episode like yesterday. I trust that means it’s spreading out toward extinction. :pray: Discontinued narcotic today and switching to ibuprofen when needed. That may help with the swelling too.

3 Likes

Happy News Indeed! So glad you’re able to cut out the Norco! Count the good swallows & ignore the iffy ones!!

:sparkling_heart:

1 Like