Time to set surgery 2moro

I’m thinking too most my meds will go away after proper surgery

Can I just say about the doctors that yes, all doctors on the list have been given to us from members who’ve had surgery, but we can’t recommend them, nor guarantee that surgery will be successful because you’ve chosen one on our list, as sometimes they have helped some members, but not others… the surgery for ES does vary with different docs and each ES case is different, so surgical outcomes can vary. The best bet is to do as you’ve done, AngelLizzie- ask lots of questions, and see who you’re happy with. You can see if you feel confident with different doctors or not.

I hear you on that. The list gave me something to go with verses nothing. It is very helpful to look at and call some of them. Beats the phone book or Dr’s that think they know,how to fix it. The list is an easier step forward for me,I think. One day at a time for me and everyone here.

When he says that he will split it in two. I think that means that he will take out part of it. That is what they generally do in intraoral surgery. The styloid and stylohyoid are connected down to the hyoid. When they do intraoral, they remove only what they can get to subsequently leaving the styloid still at the base of the skull and the stylohyoid still connected to the hyoid. That works in some cases and you never have a problem if they do it correctly and if the two parts that are left are not too big. My feeling is this. If you are in a lot of pain and know that you cannot find any other doctor who does external surgery, you might want to have the intraoral done, however, knowing what I know now, I would do my best to find a skull based surgeon who does the external. However, once again, it seems that more people get first bite syndrome from the external. This is a very complicated syndrome, no easy answers. With the internal, the doctors feel more confident that they will not injure any nerves, but they absolutely must smooth off the end of the styloid and the stylohyoid before finishing up. Either way, we know it can come back in the future so it is just part of what we deal with. Best wishes to us all. I think we all have surgery when we just cannot wait any longer and when we find the best surgeon that we can at the time. That is really all we can do.

Ty for your input as well as all other inputs. I keep all in mind. I know for Noone this is easy

Yaahoo! Went in to 2nd opinion today. Surgery set for December 19th. Will take whole right side out, not just part of it. Dr. Nalwa. Relief to finally find a Dr to do it right.

That’s good news, AngelLizzie, hope the time waiting soon passes! Is it intra-oral or external?
That’ll be a liquidised Christmas dinner for you then, maybe?! :wink:

External. But why would I need a drainage tube inserted after?

Sorry to worry you- I just meant that soft food might be best after your op! (Alot of people find chewing etc a bit sore after surgery so have smoothies and stuff!)

Lol no u didn’t worry me. Dr mentioned a drain tube after surgery and I forgot to ask him why.

If you look at Benyon’s post op photo it shows his drainage tube [removes fluid from the area…but I am not a doc]. I had a drainage “wick” after a different surgery to remove fluid.

I had one after my surgery, to keep down swelling and it helps to prevent infection, so I had to stay in overnight. It was annoying but nothing else.

Yeah I saw that pic I didn’t know it was from surgery.I understand more thank u both.

after tonight , 3 days countdown. Sometime monday morning in next city over. Still havent found exact time yet, they will call night before. Hope everyone else doing well.Been having bp trouble havent been on too much. All have good weekend!

Hope that all goes well- will be thinking of you! Have you got family about to help you out afterwards?

No not really. Just me to take care of things.

Hi AngleLizzie, I recovered without help after a couple of my surgeries and I did ok, so don’t be worried. Just make sure to take things slow and easy and take the pain meds. Rest more than you think you need. Have food ready to go that you don’t need to cook, or just have to heat up or put in the microwave. Don’t lift much at all. Save any of that for a later time. Taking walks was ok for me after the first day or two, but just not too much. I guess err on the side of caution. Good luck!

Yeah I know I will be fine. They called. No going to bed Sunday night. The time I have to wake is time I go to sleep. It’s for 530 am to be there. I have to leave here by 3 due to weather. So I have to wake 1 130 am. I guess I’m first in line lol for him. But. I’m glad I’m doing this, I know I’m doing right thing. Pain today so bad. Keep telling myself soon it over for now.

It’s good to be done first, less waiting- I doubt you’d have slept much anyway! Hope all goes well, let us know how you are when you’re able, and we’re thinking of you!
God Bless,
Jules

Good Luck to you. I hope you have a speedy recover!