UK surgeons

Can I confirm that I am correct that there are only 2 surgeons who’ll operate in the UK - Axon & Hughes?

I’ve heard of several desperate others being ignored by both after initial consultation, or the surgery not being available on the NHS.

My symptoms are so debilitating I’m having suicidal feelings. I feel like my life has been so ruined that I’m already dead inside. I’m so worried that I won’t get the surgery I feel I probably need. My styloids and almost 5cm long at this point I’m prepared to sell everything I own for a chance to get my life back.

I’m so worried I won’t get there.

Thank you.

I’m so sorry that you’re feeling so bad @BabzieAM , the symptoms of ES can be grim and on top of that having to fight for a diagnosis is awful. Feel free to talk about how you’re feeling as we do understand on here and many have been or are in the same position as you. Have you explained how low you’re feeling to your GP? If you do feel suicidal please think about getting help, there’s info about that on here:
Suicide Hotline Numbers - Support - Living with Eagle
Help for suicidal thoughts - NHS (www.nhs.uk)
We do have other doctors on our list but Mr Axon and Mr Hughes are the doctors that members have seen most & seem to be the most experienced. Mr Hughes seems to be doing more surgeries, Mr Axon has got quite specific criteria with who he can offer surgery to (I think that it was maybe @Warrick who posted that recently? Unfortunately because of NHS waiting times quite a few of our members have seen doctors privately, it’s so frustrating…
Out of the two, I would think maybe Mr Hughes would be best option, and he’s closer to you too.
I hope that you can get to see someone; if you’ve not seen @inky 's post have a read as at least you might feel less alone:
5 years of symptoms, 18 months off work - vascular Eagles in the UK - General - Living with Eagle
Sending you a hug and thinking of you :pray: :hugs:

Hey again,

So sorry to hear this. But I know you are not alone in feeling that way, i got very low and very anxious at times early on.

Are you taking any medication?

I don’t know if it was the amitriptyline or not, but after I started taking it, I felt less anxious and a little more positive. I have always been very anti - antidepressants, and I only took the amitriptyline because they told me it was specifically for nerve pain, if not taking it already it may be worth a try.

I also certainly felt relief with a blood thinner, and that made day to day alot easier. It certainly didn’t fix the problem, but gave me a lot more coping ability.

Your GP may prescribe both of these? If not, try another GP!

Dr Axon has specific criteria, enforced upon him, so difficult to tell if he really believes in the criteria he sets or just has to stick to those rules.

He says you must have Classic eagles symptoms, and did seem a little dismissive of Vascular eagles. By classic symptoms, you need Whooshing pulsatile tinnitus. I thought I had pulsatile tinnitus, but not by his definition apparently. He also expects you to have a sharp dagger like pain under jaw up into ear, or under tongue.

His definition of vascular eagles is compression of the carotid arteries NOT the jugular veins.

Conversely, Dr Hughes did not seem to have great knowledge of vascular eagles, at least he didn’t talk about it much, but he is definitely convinced of the styloids ability to compress the jugular veins, and took no convincing at all to operate when he saw my CT Venogram.

Have you had a CT Venogram?

There are others who operate around the country I’m sure, but finding them can be tricky! I tried cold calling / emailing a number of hospitals in my area and most did get back to me with a yes or no as to whether they had surgeons who would do a styloidectomy. (They were all no, I’m my area!).

Dr Jake Timothy at Nuffield Leeds appears to do a C1 shave for the same issue but apparently doesn’t touch the Styloids.

Try to stay positive. I thought I would be on this journey for the rest of my life too, and then suddenly I was offered surgery! Don’t give up, every set back is one step closer to a break through!

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply again.

I see my GP Weds and will discuss. I called UCHL and was told Hughes wasn’t doing NHS, but I was told Axon was. So… I have booked a private consultation with Hughes and will ask my GP to refer to Axon. I’ll see what comes back and go from there.

I really appreciate all the advice on here, it’s been extremely helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks @Warrick , I thought it was you who’d seen Mr Axon recently. He definitely knows that ES can cause jugular compression, he ordered the CT with contrast as he suspected that with me. It’s a difficult situation.
@BabzieAM it might otherwise be worth trying Warwick’s suggestion of contacting other hospitals- any with head and neck cancer surgeons, head and neck vascular surgeons, skull base surgeons/ otolaryngologists might be worth a try? There are some good London hospitals, it would seem crazy that there’s nobody else who does the surgery; we’ve been told that head & neck surgeons often have to remove the styloids to access the area, but I guess they’re probably all very busy and unfortunately the ignorance around ES maybe means it’s not considered a priority…
But hopefully Mr Hughes can help.

1 Like

I don’t think any of our ES members have had surgery with Mr Obholzer, but he’s been mentioned on a FB site apparently, but if you don’t get anywhere with being able to have surgery with Mr Hughes on the NHS, might be worth a try:
Mr Rupert Obholzer : University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (uclh.nhs.uk)
One of our members saw him privately but he declined surgery as she had to have steroid injections as a diagnostic tool, and these didn’t help- some doctors do this unfortunately…here’s a link, sorry, I couldn’t find it yesterday to post:
Surgery with Mr Hughes London this Friday - General - Living with Eagle

1 Like

@Warrick who did your surgery? Many thanks. Jo

Not had surgery yet. Scheduled in May with Dr Hughes at Cleveland clinic.

2 Likes