Vascular Neurosurgeon?

How frustrating for you!!! I’m so sorry that was the outcome of this appt that you looked forward to with so much hope.

Though you will have to travel, there are some good, experienced ES doctors in your neck of the woods. Use the search tool on this forum to see what our members have said about any of the doctors you’re interested in interviewing.

You’ve informed yourself well & have every right to have an intelligent conversation about ES with any doctor you see.

I think that you’re right to take time to consider your options- if you have concerns about this surgeon then it’s wise to be cautious. We’ve had quite a few members who’ve had just a bit of the styloid process removed & still had symptoms, so it’s best to get as much removed as possible. It’s worth a bit longer in pain to get the right doctor.

1 Like

Oh wow! I am so sorry that you had that experience with this doctor. Frustrating, is an understatement! My first consult with an Eagle’s Syndrome doctor was also frustrating. Mine was with an ENT who was suppose to know about E.S. & have done surgeries. I had waited 8 weeks to get in. He was dismissive & told me that my symptoms were not E.S. He only believed in the “classic” E.S. with pain in the face, ear, throat, etc. I am pretty sure that he never even looked at my CT scan which clearly showed the styloids compressing my jugular vein. I tried my best to explain my symptoms, but it was to no avail. He wanted to re-test me for my cough & put me on medicine. I had already did all that 12 years ago with an ENT that I ended up going to for 3 years. I knew that I would get a 2nd opinion. I hadn’t come that far (finally with a diagnosis) to give up. That is when I went to my 2nd E.S. doctor. It was a breath of fresh air! He was thoroughly prepared, had read my chart, & had even consulted with my referring doctor about it.

As I said in my other post, I have learned that you have to be your own advocate in this. It sounds like you knew exactly what you were talking about especially after living with your condition for 30 years! I agree with what Isaiah & Jules said, you need to feel comfortable with your doctor & with what he is doing. The journey continues, unfortunately. But you are on the right track & you will get there. There are better doctors out there. Don’t give up. Lean on the support of this group aka: Your little friends. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It absolutely is worth the wait. He came in more trying to convince me it’s not worth it. He asked me about 3 questions to start and that went right into his spiel of probably not what’s causing your pain. It must be perfectly clear that there is no guarantee any symptoms will be relieved.
Undoubtedly, thru and thru, believes it’s all in my head.
I asked if he read the image. He said, “yes, I read the image report.” I said, “no, did you read the image?” Yes, I saw the report." “Did you look at the picture of my CT scan?” “Oh. Oh. Ah. No. The report. I read the image report.”
Says vascular compression is not possible with Eagle. Neck pain prob wont go away. So. That was great.
I am absolutely going to look at this list of doctors.
Thanks again for the support. I don"t have to tell anybody here what yesterday felt like, and how helpful it was to be able to share the experience with the same frustrations.
If there was a pill that could cure this you damn well can be sure everyone would know about it. Drugs rule our Healthcare System.

1 Like

I was told that the styloids can’t compress blood vessels, by the first consultant I saw but luckily was able to get referred to a doctor I found out about on here, & the CT with contrast confirmed it. Fingers crossed you’ll see a better doctor next time.

1 Like

It sounds like you are making the right decision to find a different doctor!

My doctor wanted me to know that there isn’t enough evidence yet to know for sure that the surgery would help my symptoms. He said that there was just case studies out there, because it’s so rare & not enough people having surgery. But he said that logically it makes sense for it to work. But he wasn’t rude about it. Just explained it to me along with the other surgery information.

I hope you can find someone quickly to help you.

1 Like

Update…saw Dr. Delecure at NYU yesterday. Couldn’t have gone better. DeLecure make sure you understand the risks. He explains what he has seen and what he can do. He will remove the entire Styloid.
He was also a breath of fresh air as he feels the CT is unremarkable yet he fully understands it is to my personal experience so he will do the surgery. He said he has seen unremarkable bring full relief while completely calcified to the Hyoid had no relief after surgery. That’s the risk he made clear. He’ll take the risk of doing the procedure safely and completely and I take the risk of not getting any relief. Done. I’m in. Surgery next month! Whew!
Can’t thank you all and everyone who has contributed here. I wouldn’t have found DeLecure and woulda got sliced open by an Eagle Hack.
Thank you. I will update as the surgery nears. I hope it works, but I understand the risk of it not working.

2 Likes

Glad that you have had a positive appt with Dr DeLacure, & that you’re able to have surgery! Let us know when you get a date…

What a great report, Kingjauz! I’m so glad Dr. Delacure is willing & able to help you. I also appreciate that he was honest w/ you about the possible outcomes. You have a great attitude. I’m in your camp - “Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

Please let us know your surgery date & I’ll pray for you especially around that time. :blush:

1 Like

What great news! So glad you had a good appt with him. As other people have said, I think each person needs to access how bad their symptoms are & when it has reached the point of risking surgery. No guarantee, but it’s worth the chance to be pain-free or less pain. When is your surgery?

1 Like

My Surgery is set for May 21st. Trying to keep my symptoms in check, but it has been increasingly harder. I hate putting so much hope into 1 event, but I really do need this surgery to work. My brain fog. The whooshing. The lack of stamina. Tinnitus. Difficulty talking and swallowing, at times even breathing is difficult/painful. Not to mention the neck, jaw, shoulder and back pain. My work is starting to suffer more and more. My kids see I got nothing in the tank by the time I get home. I do what I can with them, but if I push too hard I pay the price for the next day or 2.
I’m not even sure how long I can keep working. Though not working is not an option.
No easy path for any of us I know. I’m happy and appreciate the support. And I will keep The hope alive and well within!

1 Like

I feel the way you do although my symptoms are a bit different. I really feel for you as it’s so hard trying to be an involved parent and work. I’m lucky in that I work from home but it’s still too much some days and I’ve thought about disability. I’m really sorry you feel so unwell but very glad you have healing in your future. I pray your surgery is a success!!

1 Like

Thank you One Day! Encouragement is a rarity for me. I have faith this will at least get me to a point where I will have the strength and stamina to address other issues. If a miracle occurs, and everything gets better, I honestly don’t know what I would do except smile! Another rarity. Thank you for your words and prayers.

2 Likes

Not too long to wait now, but will feel long enough for you I’m sure. I can sympathise- I was feeling pretty ill before my first surgery, the couple of months before did really drag! Will be praying that it’s successful for you, God bless.

I think about that too, like if I were to be cured enough to live a life that others around me take for granted I will just be so incredibly grateful. It’s so isolating to be so unwell and watch your life just kinda pass you by.

3 Likes

Thanks Jules. You’re a true inspiration. And yes One Day. I’d like to run around with the kids for more than 5 minutes before getting dizzy, weak and at times feeling close to passing out. I know I’m not going to be playing 8 hours of basketball like I used to be able to do, but 30 mins of horsing around would be nice. Just one day, one step, one breath at a time.

2 Likes

Kingjauz,

Hopefully, after some months of healing, you’ll be able to resume the level of activities you once knew. I was in a bad way before my ES surgeries, as well, and have been able to resume all of them. I am/was an endurance athlete (need both hips replaced now…sigh…if it isn’t one thing it’s another :crazy_face:). My recovery from ES was a slow process just as finishing a marathon has been the few times I’ve run one, but I crossed the finish line every time. You’ll get there. Just remember to take it really easy for a couple of months post op before working your way back into vigorous activities.

I’m excited your surgery is coming up soon. It’s on my calendar & I’ll be praying!

1 Like

Hopefully after your surgery on May 21st your symptoms will start to improve. I was not functioning well before my surgery. What a difference it made! Are you on any medications that can help you in the meantime before the surgery?

1 Like

Well they put me on a bunch of head meds and medical marijuana on my journey to diagnosis. So that’s enough and I dont want to pop anything else cause I really not comfortable with such a high level of meds as what I have now.

4 Likes

Tomorrow is the day. Been a long wait and a much longer journey. Very excited to finally get a chance to maybe put my health back together. Thanks to everyone’s support here. Being able to check in and chat with such a supportive group has helped tremendously. I’m sure I’ll be out of commission for a few days, but I will circle back around to give post op updates.

4 Likes