Waiting to hear from the experts

Just wanted to share that I got through the insurance & authorization layers to get to the point of sending, both Dr. Cognetti (in PA) & Dr. Samji (in CA) my CT scans & a letter requesting they take a look at my situation...I live in Kansas, so I can go either coast for what they recommend! I found such good feedback on this site about both of these experts. Just do not have the confidence in my local ENTs. Both offices should have rec'd my packs yesterday so now I will be WAITING to hear.

FYI: left messages with Dr. Samji, did not get to speak with anyone beyond the receptionist...

Got to speak in length with a very nice girl at Dr. Cognetti office who found out my next step directly from his nurse.

If anyone wants to see/read the letter I wrote each doctor, I can share that as well.

hugs to all fellow-eagles, wishing you all PAIN-free futures, xo

I’m sure you will get quick response. Dr cognettiI even called me at home on a Sunday night. Wow! I’m still in the process also and waiting too. Good luck!

Excellent news!! I'd be interested in seeing the letters you sent out. Do you think it would be helpful for other members to see your letters too? Self-advocacy, getting our cases heard and raising Eagles awareness are so important. I hope you hear something soon!!! Please keep us posted!! Expect a miracle!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you hear soon! I waited a month to hear back from Dr. Cognetti- but it was worth it. He called me the day before Halloween and spoke to me for half an hour. I saw him almost 2 months later. (My choice- he did have earlier appointments available.)

That is so wonderful, I hope that can help relieve your painful eagles :)

It sounds like you took the shortest path to getting help. Way to go! I hope you hear from the experts soon!

Hi there, if possible could you please share your letter? I would be very interested as I live in a small rural township and will be required to seek medical help outside of where I live. Writing a letter will probably be a good option for me in the first instance. Thank you and I wish you well :slight_smile:

I would really like to see the letter Art, as my first surgery on my left side was botched by an inexperienced surgeon (his first eagle's operation). And I have a hard copy of my 3d CT scan / Film of it that I want one of the three experienced docs noted on this site to take a look at, Thanks a ton! Wish you well.

Ok dear friends, I have added another expert in my quest to the next step of treatment...

Dr. Erick Forrest, who is also spoken highly of on this forum...I have attached the letter I sent to him. The letters to the other 2 docs were similar except I had a time deadline via my insurance authorization codes...

Here is where I am at in this process...

>I have heard back from KImberly at Dr. Samji office- she has emailed me medical history forms and a ABN form (Advance Beneficiary Notice of Noncoverage) to sign before the doctor will take the next step to review my scans and then an initial phone consult...here is what she wrote me:

1. We need you to call 408-■■■■ and ask for Val (just a one time registration with her) to input demographics and insurance.
2. Attached is an ABN that needs to be signed and emailed back or faxed to me408-■■■■ Attn:Kim
-The ABN is for medical review/medical management to review your file without seeing you; this fee (600$) includes: Review of entire medical record, Phone consult with Dr Samji, and a medical plan for you going forward for either surgery or other options. Even though it says "Medicare" on the form we will try to bill your personal insuracnce. Once I receive your signed ABN, then I will need you to send me any and all medical records that you wish for him to review. Once he reviews your file and you are a candidate for surgery we can coordinate dates for you to fly in (usually on a Thursday, Friday Pre Op, Monday Surgery and that Friday Post Op and then you can return home) pending you are healing well.
> I have not heard anything back yet from Dr. Cognetti office
> I spoke in length with Joseph at Dr. Forrest office, he was so nice and was wondering why so many patients from so many parts of the globe were calling and coming to Columbus...I told him of this forum and sent him links to check us out..."I said, be nice, cuz we all got each others' backs here and we TELL ALL!!" LOL Joe said he had not gotten my letter or scans yet, as the mail goes to a central location at the University of Ohio and he picks mail up on Tues, SOooo, hopefully tomorrow I will get a call or e-mail from him on my next step...This location would be the closest for me to travel. I told Joe I was teaching in the Chicago area the first part of March, and it would only be a 6 hour drive over if he could get me in for an initial consult...he said the calendar looked good for that opportunity- so WE"LL SEE...
I will share what I can and THANKS again to all of you here to be able to SHARE with- I appreciate your good wishes, arty
ps;, btw, I am getting awesome support from my local pcp & his nurse..they have written letters/made calls to insurance co., etc to help with the out-of-town approvals...endured my phone calls...
395-Eagle_DrForrest_.jpg (180 KB) 396-Eagle_DrForrest_.pdf (4.39 MB)

Hi eagleheart, I am not sure how short the path is, but I thought I would throw my stone in 3 directions and see what rippled back...it's been a long journey to get to this point...but finding 3 possible experts in this area is such a HUGE relief. thanks for your encouragement!

eagleheart said:

It sounds like you took the shortest path to getting help. Way to go! I hope you hear from the experts soon!

I encourage you to reach out to any or all 3 of these doctors...it does take time peeling thru the layers, but like I said above, my pcp's nurse has been another God-send...writing letters for me and helping with the insurance layer. ANYthing I can do to help you, let me know- what part of the world do you reside? ( like your nickname...) living with these eagles symptoms, you do feel like a zoombie-walking....told a few students last week, I have learned to be a "good actress" LOL

LivelyCadaver said:

I would really like to see the letter Art, as my first surgery on my left side was botched by an inexperienced surgeon (his first eagle's operation). And I have a hard copy of my 3d CT scan / Film of it that I want one of the three experienced docs noted on this site to take a look at, Thanks a ton! Wish you well.

hi Gracious, I posted the letter here and it has ALL my vitals on it...if there is anything I can do to help on your journey, reach out...SUPPORT hug coming your way...

Gracious said:

Hi there, if possible could you please share your letter? I would be very interested as I live in a small rural township and will be required to seek medical help outside of where I live. Writing a letter will probably be a good option for me in the first instance. Thank you and I wish you well :)

hi Kitty, so did you have surgery (S)? how are you now??? thanks for the encouragement!

Kitty9309 said:

I hope you hear soon! I waited a month to hear back from Dr. Cognetti- but it was worth it. He called me the day before Halloween and spoke to me for half an hour. I saw him almost 2 months later. (My choice- he did have earlier appointments available.)

Hi AmyBlue, extending a HUGE support hug your way for all your work to compile the doc-doc!!

I posted my letter to Dr. Forrest...it had all my vitals on it, if I can help in any way, reach out!! AND, the miracle-thing??

YES...so many God-winks everyday...finding this site was one of them!! I am seeing us with posters outside the next big ENT convention...LOL, art

AmyBlue said:

Excellent news!! I'd be interested in seeing the letters you sent out. Do you think it would be helpful for other members to see your letters too? Self-advocacy, getting our cases heard and raising Eagles awareness are so important. I hope you hear something soon!!! Please keep us posted!! Expect a miracle!!!!!!!!!!