What does impingement feel like?

Hey survivors,

I am waiting for my ENT appointment next Friday, but in the meantime I’m curious if anyone can share what impingement feels like? I started having a strange sensation today that I can only describe as feeling like nerve damage (crawling under the skin and pain) plus the normal tightness that I feel all the time.

On the positive side, my regular doc gave me some muscle relaxers to help me at night when it feels like I’m being choked and wow, did those help! I would be mostly pain and discomfort free until the next afternoon! Of course I haven’t gotten a refill approved yet, so tonight is the first night in 2 weeks I will be sleeping without them.

Thanks friends!

MiniFury

3 Likes

Hi @MiniFury,

All the pain type symptoms you have from ES are coming from nerve irritation or impingement (definition: intrusion into an area belonging to or affecting…something else). The symptoms an irritated or impinged nerve can cause are burning, a cooling sensation, “lightning bolt” pain zaps, numbness, tingling, burning, “creeping/crawling” sensations on/under the skin, aching, muscle twitches, etc.

I’m really glad the muscle relaxant helped you. I hope your doctor is willing to give you a refill based on how well it worked. Really glad your appt. is coming up.

3 Likes

Good luck on your up coming appt. .Feel better

2 Likes

Thanks so much, that’s so helpful. I was thinking maybe my veins were being impinged but a nerve might make more sense. I have nerve damage in my waist area from Shingles and the feeling I’m having is very similar. Will add to the list of symptoms.

Thank you for your kindness,

MiniFury

2 Likes

I’m always here for you, @MiniFury! BTW - I love your screen name. That’s how I feel about myself some days!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I agree that it does sound more like irritated nerves rather than a vascular issue- crawling, tingling, shooting pains, burning, boring pains are all more likely nerves & commonly experienced. That’s great you found the muscle relaxant so helpful, hopefully you’ll get some more!
Let us know how your ENT appt goes :smiley:

1 Like

Impingement of my jugular felt like intense ache/pain up my neck and shoulder down into my arm, and up into my head behind my eye. Best way I can describe it is a sucking/cold sensation behind my right eye. Also had pain at the back of my head and base of my skull. Plus dizziness/tinnitus especially when exercising. Muscle relaxers helped me a lot too, but the thing that helped most was a daily blood thinner. I agree the tingling etc sounds more like nerve pain. Good luck at your appointments!

5 Likes

That sounds truly terrible. I’m sorry you had to deal w that.

2 Likes