What to do about pain?

HOORAY! Good for you for keeping that wheel squeaking :wink: until you got what you needed.

1 Like

Yes. It took a morning of calls but itā€™s finally scheduled!! Had to push my follow up with Dr H back to November 5 which is very unfortunate. I was supposed to have the follow up this week, but since I havenā€™t had the angio done and I have nothing new to report other than the success of the blood thinner, I rescheduled.

Wellā€¦ I called insurance to check that it was pre authorized and they have no record of a pre aithorization even being initiated. I obviously can not afford this out of pocket and cannot go through with it unless insurance covers it. Iā€™m now waiting on a call back from the doctorā€™s office but I am very frustrated!

Oh, blossom, how frustrating for you. So sorry that youā€™ve had to keep making all these calls & chasing everything upā€¦I hope that you get your insurance sorted soon & can get the angiogram done. Sending you hugs :hugs: Keep strong & keep pushing!

1 Like

The doctorā€™s office said the procedure does not need the same level of formal pre authorization from insurance, or something like that, and that I am good to go. It doesnā€™t sound right to me, but I just have to trust they know what they are doing. This is the second time Iā€™ve checked with them on this and been told it will be fine with insurance. The amount of self advocacy required is exhaustingā€¦

1 Like

Good for you for keeping with the self-advocacy, blossom! Remember the Little Engine That Could story? His mantra was, ā€œI think I can! I think I can!ā€, and he did what he aimed to do! Keep sticking with it, & youā€™ll soon be past this hurdle.

1 Like

I am definitely channeling my anxiety about the procedure itself into this detail of the cost. My partner helped talk me off the ledge yesterday and reminded me I have great insurance now that Iā€™ve switched plans, and heā€™s had many procedures that were handled in the same way and didnā€™t require a pre authorization to his knowledge. I am trying to view the day of the procedure as a chance to pamper and take good care of myself/allow myself to be taken care of, eat a meal that I enjoy when itā€™s over, watch something good on tv, take a nap, whatever. Itā€™s going to be ok. Iā€™m sure I will cycle between this feeling and anxiety until it is over but Iā€™m taking it one day at a time. The nurse said I am allowed to take my anxiety medication the night before so that will help. Itā€™s certainly the most invasive medical procedure Iā€™ve ever had done but it is also not very invasive compared to surgery so I need to remind myself of that as well. I think it just seems scarier because I have to be awake the whole time. Thanks to all for the support throughout this process. It helps so much!

1 Like

Glad that youā€™re planning some treats & that your partner has good experience with insuranceā€¦You said that you can take your medication the night before; I donā€™t know if thereā€™s any light sedation they can give you during the procedure to help you? My husband had some for an ablation treatment on his heart, they put the tube up through the groin for that which was a bit uncomfortable, I guess the same as for an angiogram, or is that in the wrist?
Hugs to youā€¦ :hugs:

2 Likes

Yes, the dr said theyā€™ll go in through the wrist or groin. Not sure what determines where it goes. They will give me versed (sedative) and fentanyl (painkiller) in an IV During the procedure so Iā€™m very hopeful that will make it go a lot faster and easier!

2 Likes