What to expect from surgery - please respond

HI All,

I couldn't sleep last night. I had so much pain in my neck and thru my throat. I am stressed out about the idea of surgery and recovery time. I really want to hear what recovery looks like, especially when it is via neck.

I am self-employed and have to really plan on how I could afford to lose time at work. Please let me know what your experiences have been like. Mainly - how soon could I realistically be back with clients, in person without having obvious physical issues? I'm a real estate agent - sitting in open houses, gaining customer confidence, etc.

I want to be real about my expectations so that I have the best shot of being prepared financially. I want to talk to my broker and review this with her.

Thank you so much for all your feedback! It is really helpful. :)

Hi JCW

I'm not sure what type of surgery you are having. You mention the neck so I am assuming external. That is the surgeries I had. I did the right last May and the left in December. The surgery was on a Wednesday I rested until Sunday and back to work on Monday. Everyone is different. I am feeling so much better now. Best I have felt in a year. Wish you all the best. The surgery was not that bad at all the pain level for me was only the second and third day. Stayed on the pain meds and it was endurable with no problems. I have numbness still on both sides but it does not bother me. I am already wearing my full face helmet with no issues. The right side took about four months to where it was not noticeable at all but I still have a small area that is numb.

I hope this helps and don't stress it will all be good.

Kevin

I can't say for the eagles surgery specifically, but I had a craniectomy and multivascural decompression of my trigeminal nerve last April, which I was told is a more serious surgery than for eagles, for mine they punch a hole in the skull behind your ear.

It's really hard to predict downtime for each person because it's vastly different if you have a complication. I went to work full time 9 days later, but probably should have waited 3 weeks. I'd say 3-5 weeks is a safe bet. You really have to rest for at least a week after surgery to let things heal.

I'm still trying to figure out my diagnosis, my surgery didn't work.

I had my right styloid removed this fall. I had some swelling but it was not noticeable after the first 4-5 days. My pain was minimal…I used regular Tylenol starting day 3. My scar is barely noticeable and it’s not even the 6 month mark. It really depends on the skill of your surgeon and how you respond to surgery. I wish you the best!

OMG! If you are living with Eagles, you must understand that the moderate discomfort from the surgery is such a small price to pay!

I had my first surgery on December 6 and the second on January 13th. The incisions are minimal, and are not obvious to see. I work in DC, were everyone is expected to look "together". I had your same concerns, althogh I was not scared about the procedures. I went in early in the morning, and in the late afternoon I was on my way home (my husband driving, of course), from Philly to Maryland. I stayed in bed the next day and by he third day I was walking around the house (no heavy lifting, though.) When I went to my follow up appointment the following week, I was without pain and had almost no swelling.

The second time around, I decided to stay at a very charming hotel near the hospital. The incision was a little bigger, but the healing process was almost identical. Only five days with Vicodin and antibiotics and you are set to go. I would say you will be good to go in about two weeks each time, just to play it safe. I was ready in about a week and a half. In any case, the change in my quality of life has been indescribable. This has been one of the best decisions of my life.

Good luck!

PS: Who is your doctor? Mine is Dr. David Cognetti, in Philly and he is amazing!!

So great to hear! Yes - I am sending Dr. Cogentti my scans next week. He is in network for my HMO so I do feel so blessed! I know that this is Eagles ams so far an oral surgeon and ENT are saying that based on my panoramic x-ray. I am relieved to here about your experience! I know everyone is different but very encouraging. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thanks JKL - who did you use for your surgery? This all seems to be pretty good news. Feeling more comfortable.

JKL said:
I had my right styloid removed this fall. I had some swelling but it was not noticeable after the first 4-5 days. My pain was minimal...I used regular Tylenol starting day 3. My scar is barely noticeable and it's not even the 6 month mark. It really depends on the skill of your surgeon and how you respond to surgery. I wish you the best!

Hi. I can’t comment on the external surgery but I am 4 weeks intraoral post op. I would say from reading all the posts that external healing time is far quicker than the intraoral. I’m still feeling the effects of the surgery and still having eagles pain albeit less than what it was. I’m actually thinking not enough of my styloid was removed and I’m still having cardiac issues… Again… Not as bad. I still have to have the right side done and I think I’m going to try and have external this time as well as look into it for my left side if it has to be redone. I know I have to give it more time but I can safely say that intraoral is very painful post op and 4 weeks later, although I notice improvement, I am still very much aware of the surgery. That may nit be the norm but I can only tell you what I’m experiencing.

My surgery was done by Dr. Arick Forrest in Columbus, Ohio. I found his name through this forum and am so glad I did!

He has quite a bit of experience with Eagle surgery. I would recommend him without hesitation!

JCW said:

Thanks JKL - who did you use for your surgery? This all seems to be pretty good news. Feeling more comfortable.

JKL said:
I had my right styloid removed this fall. I had some swelling but it was not noticeable after the first 4-5 days. My pain was minimal...I used regular Tylenol starting day 3. My scar is barely noticeable and it's not even the 6 month mark. It really depends on the skill of your surgeon and how you respond to surgery. I wish you the best!

First off, I am so sorry your in pain and stressed out. I understand what it's like to be in both of those conditions as do everyone on this website. Just know were all praying for you!

My doctor told me he "might" have to go through the neck but would try his hardest to go through the mouth instead. Thankfully on my end he was able to do the surgery without going through the neck, so on that note as you posted i'm really no help in that area.

However, as for recovery time, mine was a few weeks almost a month. I mostly lived on water. For me the worst part was the pain, and swallowing. It was so bad I couldn't swallow my own saliva that I would instead spit it out which hurt so I just let it dribble out of my mouth. Once I was able to swallow a little I kept drinking water. The worst part is the pain after surgery TAKE THE MEDICATION and rest! Also know the swallowing will hurt! Once I was over all that honestly the only issues I have to this day since surgery is my taste buds are off. Food and drinks don't taste good anymore.

Just remember your not alone, and you can always ask questions or email anyone for advice or support. As for being nervous, your post to be its scary going through this but try to remember your in good hands and after surgery eventually down the line you will no longer be in pain! Look towards the light at the end of the tunnel!

Hope your surgery goes well, my prayers are with you.

The pain of Eagles is so much worse than any surgery.

I've had 4 Eagles surgeries. The ones I had done by someone experienced with Eagles (Dr. Samji) were very easy for me. I went back to work after 2 weeks and could have gone back after 1 week i think. They were both external surgeries (and were revisions of the first two surgeries I had).

I had one external surgery done at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio by someone who had never done an Eagles surgery before even though he was a very experienced surgeon. I had a very, very difficult time after that surgery and didn't go back to work for several months.

I had an internal surgery done by someone who never did an Eagles surgery before but was an experienced surgeon and I think I went back to work after about 3 weeks.

You should do fine with Dr. Cognetti. I would guess you could pretty easily go back to work in two weeks. that's just a guess of course.

I had the surgery 1 1/2 years ago through the neck on the left side. I really did not have much pain at all. After the first day of surgery I didn't even take any pain medication. My neck healed quickly and the scar that was left is barely noticeable. I would do it over again to be rid of the pain I experienced for years before I got the right answer as to why I was having so much pain. I had the same anxieties you are having but looking back it was so easy and healing was quick. Best of luck to you.

I agree. Dr. Cognetti has patients from everywhere, even Alaska. You are very lucky to ave him close to you. He is the best.

heidemt said:

The pain of Eagles is so much worse than any surgery.

I've had 4 Eagles surgeries. The ones I had done by someone experienced with Eagles (Dr. Samji) were very easy for me. I went back to work after 2 weeks and could have gone back after 1 week i think. They were both external surgeries (and were revisions of the first two surgeries I had).

I had one external surgery done at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio by someone who had never done an Eagles surgery before even though he was a very experienced surgeon. I had a very, very difficult time after that surgery and didn't go back to work for several months.

I had an internal surgery done by someone who never did an Eagles surgery before but was an experienced surgeon and I think I went back to work after about 3 weeks.

You should do fine with Dr. Cognetti. I would guess you could pretty easily go back to work in two weeks. that's just a guess of course.

When I had external I woke up from surgery with no pain from the ES. The neck scar was minimal and went to work on Dec. 1 nas SF for x-mas-new years so I must have been ok. The surgery was just after thanksgiving. Wear a sign don't touch as I has a co-worker poke me in the scar and ask if it hurt--gotta watch out for the stupid.

The internal is much worse-swallowing was impossible-way too much goes on there to have an incision. All that breathing at stuff. I was told it would pretty much be like an adult tonsillectomy and was out 2 weeks and started bleeding-that's when I learned what an adult tonsillectomy was like and I still have mine and hope they stay.

I would say that if the doctor does his job correctly you shouldn't have lasting issues-a few days with good rest and good stiches and bandages. You might have a drain inserted too at the bottom of the incision-mine was fine and was removed 3 days after. It really seemed simple and direct.

With this work on getting customer pity and sell lots! Sell that scar.

Good luck and I think its normal to be nervous no matter what the procedure.

1 Like

I had external surgery just over 1 month ago with an experienced Eagle’s surgeon and my recovery has been extremely easy. I had no pain (other than the day of surgery) and have taken zero pain medication. The swelling was minimal and I was able to go back to work in a week. My scar is not very noticeable and seems to get smaller by the day. I’m very glad I had the surgery with an experienced doctor. Hope this is helpful!

Thanks Shaw, I got a giggle about watching out for the stupid! :slight_smile:

shaw said:

When I had external I woke up from surgery with no pain from the ES. The neck scar was minimal and went to work on Dec. 1 nas SF for x-mas-new years so I must have been ok. The surgery was just after thanksgiving. Wear a sign don't touch as I has a co-worker poke me in the scar and ask if it hurt--gotta watch out for the stupid.

The internal is much worse-swallowing was impossible-way too much goes on there to have an incision. All that breathing at stuff. I was told it would pretty much be like an adult tonsillectomy and was out 2 weeks and started bleeding-that's when I learned what an adult tonsillectomy was like and I still have mine and hope they stay.

I would say that if the doctor does his job correctly you shouldn't have lasting issues-a few days with good rest and good stiches and bandages. You might have a drain inserted too at the bottom of the incision-mine was fine and was removed 3 days after. It really seemed simple and direct.

With this work on getting customer pity and sell lots! Sell that scar.

Good luck and I think its normal to be nervous no matter what the procedure.

Thank you for sharing and I really hope you figure out your diagnosis.

shindig said:

I can't say for the eagles surgery specifically, but I had a craniectomy and multivascural decompression of my trigeminal nerve last April, which I was told is a more serious surgery than for eagles, for mine they punch a hole in the skull behind your ear.

It's really hard to predict downtime for each person because it's vastly different if you have a complication. I went to work full time 9 days later, but probably should have waited 3 weeks. I'd say 3-5 weeks is a safe bet. You really have to rest for at least a week after surgery to let things heal.

I'm still trying to figure out my diagnosis, my surgery didn't work.

Hi Latte Manifesto (love the name!) thanks for the good news!

latte manifesto said:
I had external surgery just over 1 month ago with an experienced Eagle's surgeon and my recovery has been extremely easy. I had no pain (other than the day of surgery) and have taken zero pain medication. The swelling was minimal and I was able to go back to work in a week. My scar is not very noticeable and seems to get smaller by the day. I'm very glad I had the surgery with an experienced doctor. Hope this is helpful!

I expected complete relief, unfortunately for me, that isn't what I got. As far as recovery time, expect for extra oral surgery a recovery of about 6 weeks as far as pain goes, and if you shave (sorry OP don't remember if your male or female, too lazy to check) expect the area near your sideburns to feel like sandpaper for 6 months..

That's my surgery scar, it generally is quite larger than most other people's on the site I have seen, as you can see the surgeon cut my earlobe off of my face aaand all the way down to below my jaw . My CT scan you can find on here plenty of places and my left side was just friggin snipped and everything was left in....this only relieved tension in one spot behind my ear that prevented me resting my jaw...all the pain still remains elsewhere.