Your take requested

Hi madisonvessels,

Though I didn’t have a lump, the area below my right earlobe was very firm prior to my ES surgery, & I wondered if it might be the styloid sitting just beneath the surface. It is softer post op but still firmer than the left side. I think it’s because my parotid gland is slightly irritated (it causes First Bite Syndrome) since my surgery 5.5 yrs ago. It’s still minimally tender if I poke it.

Here’s a picture of the parotid gland. It can become irritated by ES w/o necessarily causing FBS.

2 Likes

Thanks for the great info. I am working on getting seen by a doctor this week and will update with findings. Could very well be this gland.

1 Like

Thank you, that is good to know and I will try to get them. I have a follow up appointment on the 7th. They said it is optional that I go when I went to have the stitches removed but I really feel I need more details/information of all that happened. It all went pretty quickly (in comparison to others) from first diagnosis to removal. Nothing was or has been explained to me by any doctor, including my surgeon. My dentist told me he thought I had Eagle’s, my family doctor never heard of it. My surgeon didn’t examine, question or explain anything…just gave me date to be there and did surgery.
I went home…period. Anything I know about eagle’s syndrome, I learned here. And I know absolutely nothing about my actual case.

I have the same hard bump behind my ear lobe on one side. Its not soft like a cyst, it is hard and bony like. The side that gives me the most pain. When I poke around in it, it does cause pain and radiates to my ear.I have been pointing this bump out for years to PT’s, chiropractors and the like and they just scratch their heads. Recently at my consult asked eagles doc about it. He blew it off and said our bodies aren’t symetrical. I know its related to some of my pain and wonder too if its related to parotid gland like isaiah pointed out as that is the only thing back there behind the ear unless something below it pushing it out to be a hard bump?
I was scheduled for surgery on that side next Monday and very disappointed to have it rescheduled until end of April now however I expect it to get pushed again from the April date given the CV in bay area.

Shaney,
There are formal release of information forms you sign to sent other docs your records or to obtain them yourself. Most medical facilities have the release forms on their websites. You can either fax or mail in. I suggest fax for faster service and follow up to confirm receipt. I would ask for CD and report.
If surgeon is at same facility, I suggest asking for Consultation report and most importantly the “Operative report” which will detail the surgical procedure. Many of us can help you translate it so you understand what they did. If the surgeon is part of a group that has a patient portal, you can sometimes access these records online. Often the operative reports are not. You have to ask for them specifically.

2 Likes

In the US, HIPAA gives you the legal right to obtain your medical records. It may be easier or harder at specific facilities to figure out how to get them and there can be a charge, but with very limited exceptions these are your medical records and they must be made available to you.

2 Likes