2 1/2 Weeks Surgery Post Op Update

Hi everyone - just wanted to give an update post surgery since I know that was one of the things I wanted to know when I was looking into having it done. I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and doing well.
Background: I had the right side done. Will have left side done in 6 months, it is fairly symmetrical in size. Both sides contrict jugular. When removed, styloid was 4 inches/10cm long (CT measured 6cm) and surgeon compared diameter to a construction nail so it was quite thick and long. He said they actually had to use special orthopedic tools to get it out. So I feel like I’m doing well especially considering the size of it.
At 2 1/2 weeks post op:

• Still tender to the touch in the surgery area, but no visible bruising left. Outer eyebrow, cheekbone and lesser occipital sore.
  • Able to eat mostly anything now although a couple days ago I ate a sandwich and it flared up.
  • Facial nerve damage affected lower lip, but getting better with time. The lip didn’t have full motion, but I only really notice it when I brush my teeth and try to spit, it doesn’t quite work right.
  • Facial nerve damage affected eye: it doesn’t blink quite right. It’s like it blinks slowly and not fully so the eye gets very dry and because of that it is uncomfortable and blurry. Can’t wear contacts. Besides the pain from surgery this has been the worst side effect, but I do expect to recover fully as it is getting better already and it’s only been 2 1/2 weeks
  • Pain from surgery hasn’t been terrible. Mostly feels like I got beat up lol. I think I used prescription painkillers for 3-4 days after around the clock and then only needed them once or twice a day for about a week, mainly to be able to sleep thru it. The doctor did also give a steroid pack for inflammation after which probably helped with pain.

Overall it has been a good recovery and I have already noticed that there is less of a pressure type headache and tenderness, especially on the surgery side. Tinnitus on that side is better. Some of the pain still feels the same, but it’s hard to tell if it is pain from surgery or pain from before. I think it is surgery pain. Time will tell. I hope this helps give anyone looking into surgery a bit of insight and I’ll update at the 1 month mark.

1 Like

Glad you’re seeing improvements, & hope that the eye especially improves soon! That styloid was huge, definitely better out! I’m sure you’ll be feeling the benefits of the jugular vein not being compressed too. Make sure yiu take it easy & don’t overdo it. Will keep praying for yiu!

2 Likes

LoriNola ~

Thank you for a very thorough & well thought out update. I’m so glad you’re doing well. It sounds like your body is doing its job - healing your nerves & surgical area. That is great news! Remember it can take up to a year for nerves to heal completely.

Some of the pain you still have could be coming from your remaining styloid so it should disappear once that is gone.

I think I asked this before, is your surgeon on our Doctors’ List? If not, I’d like to add him. I’m sorry if you’ve already given me the information. I lose track sometimes…

I second what Jules said about continuing to take it easy for awhile longer. It took me about 2 months post op to really get back up to speed.

Again, I’m so glad to know you’re recovery is going so well. I look forward to reading your 1 month update.

1 Like

Dr Nuss I think?

Thank you! That’s what I was thinking.

Yep, Dr. Nuss is correct. He also has a very calming demeanor which is comforting when deciding whether or not to have surgery.

2 Likes