3 weeks post op update by RB

Hello Everyone,

I know I have not been on in a while. In addition to my own External Styloidectomy surgery, you might remember that I was helping to take care of my daughter who was healing from broken ribs, after my surgery. Well, we also had 3 extended family deaths in a month and a half! Truly, over whelming to say the least. All in my mother’s family, my Uncle died of a heart attack, my Aunt died 2 weeks later of cancer and my Grandmother died 3 weeks after that of a stroke and kidney failure. I left and flew for California to be with my Mother at just 12 days after surgery. My mother has major health problems too, so I have been taking care of her and comforting her during this time. I really have not had time to sit too long and take much time off for myself. That being said I am doing remarkable well.

I had some discomfort that was normal and to be expected after surgery. I have tried to not make too big of a deal out of anything until I pass the 4-6 week mark, knowing that stuff takes time to heal after surgery. I did have some issues with sour / tangy things causing pain in my salivary gland after surgery, but that is lessening and resolving. Opening my jaw hurt medium to mildly for about 2 weeks but lessened over time. Under my tongue hurt a bit, but that as well resolved too. I had surface swelling, numbness and pain from nerves along my jaw and under my chin that had been cut in the incision, but this is slowly resolving and the numbness is nearly gone. After about 2 ½ to 3 weeks I started massaging the scar and some of the lumpiness under the surface of the incision started lessening as the sutures started dissolving. My right side rotation has increased, looking up and down seems not to be a problem anymore and I am slowly getting off my migraine medication. As a whole though, nothing has been unbearable, I would do it all over again if I needed this surgery again. I still have my left styloid that is longer than the right, but the position is different and does not seem to be bothering me enough at this point to think about having the other side done at this time. I will continue to wait and see what happens as time goes on.

God bless you all,

RB

I hope things get better for you R.B. You are a survivor and will get through whatever bad things life throws at you. I can relate to your family matters, because I have recently gone through a similar experience too. You have my sympathy and prayers. I am glad to see you have noticed an improvement in your symptoms. I believe with time the other symptoms will also resolve themselves. I have faith that my residual symptoms will also come to a tolerated level of pain. You really have to take time out for you to heal physically and mentally after your ordeal. Take care and may God bless you and keep you strong to heal from your surgery!

RB,
Sorry to hear about all the loss of all the loved ones in your family. Glad your recovery is going well. God bless you and yours.

RB,

I am so sorry that you have gone through so much, all at once. I am glad that you were able to care for your daughter and your mother without paying for it too much with your health. What a blessing that you're recovering even without having a chance to rest.

I never massaged my incisions. That's a good idea; I wonder if it's too late for that for me? Probably. I think it's been over 5 months since my last surgery.

I hope you continue to feel better and better. Hang in there!

You sound wonderful in your prognosis even after having so much thrust upon you at once! My prayers are with you and your family as you recover from such change and loss. God Speed!