5-days post Surgery

My 25-yr old daughter had surgery last Wednesday. Surgeon said they were the longest he had ever seen, but I don't think they see many in Northwest Ohio. She has a low tolerance for pain anyway, but has really been struggling since surgery. Swallowing is still excrutiating, and she is in a lot of pain. She is a picky, picky eater normally, but finding something for her to eat/drink since surgery has been a nightmare. Hoping someone can provide some advise as to how long before pain starts subsiding, and swallowing is not as much of an issue? We see doc for follow-up on Thursday. Thanks - appreciate any advice you can offer!

Hi ESMom. I just had surgery about two weeks ago on my right styloid. They told me to stick to soft foods for the first two weeks and gradually start eating normal foods. I enjoyed lots of Ensure clear the orange flavor. I love yogurt but that is almost a must if you are taking antibiotics still. I know it feels worse than having your tonsils out and the body has to adjust to a part of it gone. I still feel sore and inflamed and take ibuprofen and use an ice bag on my jaw and throat area but I can say that my pain has already started to subside and I can swallow with only a little bit of pain. My surgeon told me it may take up to six weeks or more depending on my body's ability to heal to feel better. Each patient is different and I don't know how complicated your daughter's surgery was. I suggest you write a list of questions to ask the doctor at the follow up appointment. He knows your daughter's situation and can maybe suggest ways to alleviate the pain. Sorry I am not much help. I do know each person reacts different to the after surgery experience in terms of symptom and pain relief. I truly hope your daughter starts to feel better soon with a lot less pain. Good luck and don't give up hope that things will turn out for good. Take care and God Bless.

Viperbone

HI ES MOM. The healing takes awhile. Viperbone is right, at least 2 weeks on liquids, ice cream, yogurt. Cold things were better for me. Then soft stuff will follow, for a week or two. It will take time to heal. Good luck to you and your daughter. Praying for successful recovery.

Looking forward to seeing her feeling a little bit better and not so reliant on pain meds! Thanks for your input!

Doc said one more week of extreme pain. Said her pain and issues were expected. Will stay on pain meds for awhile yet. She is an extremely picky eater normally so really struggling to find items to eat/drink. She is very weak due to nit eating much. I will talk to her about your suggestions. Thank you!

I would recommend putting protein powder mix in an ice cream shakes. That way she get protein her body needs to heal and I think even most picky eaters like chocolate shakes. Also get her some emergen-C to put in her water so she gets C & B vitamins to help her heal. I drink 2 of those a day in my water. The body burns through them fast when recovering from surgery.

Yes the extreme pain can last up to 3-4 weeks depending on what approach was done. Saying a prayer for her to get relief each day.

Oh and do not tell her you put protein powder in the shake.

I can't help with what you are actually looking for, which is how long till the pain subsides.....but with the eating, maybe I can help?

haha BigsBug and I are on the same page.... I love my shakes! I use a vanilla protein powder (one scoop), almond milk (1/2 cup), ice cubes (4-6 ish), water as needed (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup), 1/2 c banana or blueberries (or whatever she would like or nothing at all). I add in some sweetener (I like a pinch of Stevia, but too much will ruin it), and a couple of drops of of coconut extract. I have used rum extract and mint extract, too. :) You can even throw almonds in there if she needs a few calories more.

A lot of protein powders cause bloating and bad stomach reactions. I am particularly reactive to them. Two that I can tolerate with no problems (and that taste VERY good) are:

1) VPX Zero Carb SRO Graham Cracker flavor (it's like a sweeter vanilla- can't tell it's graham cracker flavor)- I order this online and it's not cheap, but I competed in fitness type of competitions, and needed a very clean and good quality whey powder (worth the $). It makes a thinner shake.

2) Muscle Milk Lite Peanut Butter Chocolate- this is a slower digesting protein powder (whey caseinate)...VERY tasty! The best flavor I ever found....it makes a thicker shake than the first powder I listed. I think most anyone would love this flavor, and you can likely find it in a nutrition shop (possibly GNC...not sure on that)

Costco sells a box of Muscle Milk lite shakes 'ready to drink' with a straw in chocolate flavor (look near the pharmacy area, in those aisles). They are good...not amazing, but as good tasting as chocolate milk. Plus, they are easy. I would think that things like thick shakes and ice cream might even be easier on her, since they can sort of 'slide' down her throat. A thinner thing like a drink with a straw might require more swallowing unless she finds a way to avoid the straw and pour it down super slowly.

I have also made a little pudding with 3/4 c of greek yogurt and 1/2 scoop of the vanilla flavored protein powder (graham cracker flavor in my case). I sprinkle stevia on it, too (I like sweet stuff hehe) Sometimes I do this with cottage cheese instead of greek yogurt, but I think greek yogurt might be easier for her to swallow, since it's smoother and a bit less dense.

Thanks - some good options to try. She's really picky, but maybe I can get one of these to work for her! Appreciate it!

Tee said:

I can't help with what you are actually looking for, which is how long till the pain subsides.....but with the eating, maybe I can help?

haha BigsBug and I are on the same page.... I love my shakes! I use a vanilla protein powder (one scoop), almond milk (1/2 cup), ice cubes (4-6 ish), water as needed (maybe 1/4-1/2 cup), 1/2 c banana or blueberries (or whatever she would like or nothing at all). I add in some sweetener (I like a pinch of Stevia, but too much will ruin it), and a couple of drops of of coconut extract. I have used rum extract and mint extract, too. :) You can even throw almonds in there if she needs a few calories more.

A lot of protein powders cause bloating and bad stomach reactions. I am particularly reactive to them. Two that I can tolerate with no problems (and that taste VERY good) are:

1) VPX Zero Carb SRO Graham Cracker flavor (it's like a sweeter vanilla- can't tell it's graham cracker flavor)- I order this online and it's not cheap, but I competed in fitness type of competitions, and needed a very clean and good quality whey powder (worth the $). It makes a thinner shake.

2) Muscle Milk Lite Peanut Butter Chocolate- this is a slower digesting protein powder (whey caseinate)...VERY tasty! The best flavor I ever found....it makes a thicker shake than the first powder I listed. I think most anyone would love this flavor, and you can likely find it in a nutrition shop (possibly GNC...not sure on that)

Costco sells a box of Muscle Milk lite shakes 'ready to drink' with a straw in chocolate flavor (look near the pharmacy area, in those aisles). They are good...not amazing, but as good tasting as chocolate milk. Plus, they are easy. I would think that things like thick shakes and ice cream might even be easier on her, since they can sort of 'slide' down her throat. A thinner thing like a drink with a straw might require more swallowing unless she finds a way to avoid the straw and pour it down super slowly.

I have also made a little pudding with 3/4 c of greek yogurt and 1/2 scoop of the vanilla flavored protein powder (graham cracker flavor in my case). I sprinkle stevia on it, too (I like sweet stuff hehe) Sometimes I do this with cottage cheese instead of greek yogurt, but I think greek yogurt might be easier for her to swallow, since it's smoother and a bit less dense.

Hello ESMom!!! How is your daughter doing? I just looked back through all the feeds in the discussion boards for your daughter’s post and couldn’t find her’s :frowning: I’d like to check in with her to see how she is and also to get information about her doctor. I’m from Columbus and not too far away from the Toledo area and would like information on her doctor. I just had surgery on my left side and am looking into options for my right side. I’m happy with the surgeon I had but would like to keep my options open. Knowledge is power :slight_smile: :sunny: Thanks!