Another successful second side surgery šŸ˜Š

Hi everyone!

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers this last week and always. My surgery last week went well for the styloidectomy which was truly strangling the vein and nerves exiting the jugular foramen and had grown attached to the back side of my mandible (as did the first side).

I had the very typical recovery with 2-3 days of jaw and ear soreness, limited mouth opening and sore throat from the nerve monitoring. True to the advice from many on this forum, staying elevated, ice and self lymph drainage keep the swelling at bay and things are going well! I did not have first bite syndrome, maybe because this is the second side and my mandible is free now - yay!

My recovery is further complicated by a large skull base CSF leak repair done at the same time and is a much bigger problem (and the more painful part for sure) but hopefully will improve with these pesky styloids out of the picture! Just have to let things settle and see what remains.

Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers, this is a wonderful place of support and encouragement :heart: Be well

7 Likes

Hi JustBreathe!

Iā€™m so glad youā€™re doing well. Iā€™m sorry for the pain & other symptoms that remain due to the CSF leak. You have experience recovering from both types of surgery so know more or less what to expect though I donā€™t recall you having both done at the same time first go around.

Itā€™s so interesting that your styloid grew into your mandible on both sides. Iā€™ll continue to pray for your complete recovery from all of it with many happy, healthy years ahead of you. :heart:

1 Like

Yay! I was thinking about you this week. So glad to hear all went as well as it could have. Hope your recovery goes smoothly from here and you can finally start feeling better!

2 Likes

Glad that the surgery is safely behind you; a pretty big one by the sound of it! Praying for your healing & that there are no more leaks. Did they have to put a balloon into the jugular vein, or did it spring back okay?
Will keep praying, & sending you a gentle hug! :bouquet: :hugs: :pray:

1 Like

So happy to hear recovery is going well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Bless you! You are a true warrior to have the styloidectomy and cranial repair at the same time.

Enjoy plenty of rest and healing :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Great news! successful procedures and positive stories gives us waiting for operations hope and takes away some anxiety
Iā€™m delighted for you it went well
:muscle:t2:

3 Likes

Excellent question Julesā€¦my husband didnā€™t get too many details so I will find out tomorrow :blush:

Congrats on your ā€œsecondā€ recovery although you have the added complication of the cfs leak repair. It gives me hope my second one will go better. So glad you are recovering nicely! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

Well it is a really good thing that pesky styloid is gone! Turns out it was compressing my IJV and carotid artery enough to severely impact my ANSā€¦good riddance :sweat_smile: That explains so much! My recovery with this has been flawless, completely resolved ear, jaw and throat soreness that is typical, no nerve damage at all and minimal swelling. I did not require a balloon for the IJV as pressure gradients were normal tip to tail. I am so very grateful.

Unfortunately the second part of my surgery for the CSF leak is not looking so great. For reasons unknown my skull base is literally disappearing. The repair done last week is already leaking again. This will be my ongoing challenge but I am so grateful for my surgeon who is going to great lengths to bring me through this. He is an amazing combination of kindness and brilliance, rare in our world. I need to let the dust settle and see where things land, more testing in 6 weeks. I am sure having the styloid taken care of will be helpful for itā€™s part.

In the mean time I will enjoy a quieter life, take this time to enjoy the beauty of fall and transition into the next season. I hope everyone else is hanging in there with this turbulent world of ours. Take peace in knowing we are all in this together and together we will come through it all! We always have eachother :purple_heart: Peace and every good

9 Likes

JustBreathe,

Iā€™m so sorry that CSF leak is continuing to be a problem but HALLELUJAH! the styloids are gone!!! At least you know now they are no longer contributors to that problem.

I will continue to pray for you to have complete healing from all your health challenges even if it takes time. I love your attitude and the picture you gave of your serene spirit in the midst of everything. Really gives me food for thought for my own life. Thank you!

:hugs: :heart:

2 Likes

Pleased that the styloidectomy side of the surgery has gone so well, but worrying about the CSF leak repair already failingā€¦at least the compressed jugulars are no longer contributing to the pressure build up.
Iā€™m in awe of your attitude with this & glad that youā€™re able to appreciate life. I donā€™t know if youā€™re familiar with Psalm 23, The Lordā€™s My Shepherd, but your stillness with so much going on around you reminds me of verse 5- God preparing a table for you in the midst of chaos, not that you can probably eat that well right now!
Will keep praying for you & God bless.

2 Likes

Thank you @Jules and @Isaiah_40_31 !!

Shhhā€¦donā€™t tell anyone but i was eating potato chips today :joy:ā€¦throat has been just fine for a few days now. Not sure what kind of table God has in mind for me but for now I am happy :blush:

I have never been one to quote or recall any specific bible verse but there is one from the Psalms that for some reason has been stubbornly glued to my heart which is often slowly dismantledā€¦

ā€œBe still and know I am Godā€
Be still and know I am
Be still and know
Be still
Be.

Here is where I rest and am reminded that my very breath is the divine miracle that sustains me in all things. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, they are priceless!

So with my Swiss cheese head I continue on into this day
:cheese: :wink:

9 Likes

@JustBreathe, I have been following along. Thanks for sharing that beautiful prayer and your courageous attitude of gratitude with us. It has made a difference in my day. I wish you continued healing!

5 Likes

OMG! Potato chips? Your attitude and peace about all this is inspiring. I hope they get that CFS leak and the skull base issues under control. On the good side, you took some medical issues off the table and can focus on less concerns moving forward. You are a brave woman.

4 Likes

Iā€™m so happy that the ā€œpeskyā€ styloid is gone and no need for ballooning etc your healing is encouraging for all of us :sparkling_heart:

Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your skull base leaks. But so glad to hear, that you have a great surgeon to guide you through this and get you better.

Sending hugs :hugs:

4 Likes

You continue to inspire & humble me, JustBreathe. Your spiritual insight is truly amazing. Thank you for sharing your breakdown of those words from Psalm 46:10.

Be still, contemplate God and complete healing. Youā€™ll get there.

:heart:

4 Likes

So glad that it went well for you, I hope that you continue to heal xx

2 Likes

Life without both of my styloidsā€¦three weeks out from my second side update. Well it is spectacular! Now that my IJV and carotid arteries are flowing well I can look down without blurred vision, turn my head fully without feeling odd, chew crunchy things without feeling lightheaded, my jaw moves normally for the first time in forever and my neck stiffness is gone. Grateful for everything that has brought me to this moment in time!

Thank you all for listening to my saga, know you have found a true jewel with this group. Peace and every good!

P.S. remember to breathe both in and outā€¦longer on the out :blush:

7 Likes

What a breath of fresh air you provided in your post, JustBreathe. Thank you! Iā€™m so grateful to read how well youā€™re doing & to note the wonderful, positive changes youā€™ve had from your ES surgeries. I will continue to pray that your life can fully return to normal. Itā€™s been a long, winding & bumpy road for you.

:heart:

2 Likes

Iā€™m so happy for you @JustBreathe and I love your attitude. You are also a great asset to this group and help make it the gem that it is!

4 Likes