Anyone dealing with Ear tubes?

I am new to this site and have found it so comforting to read about like-souls that are dealing with the Eagles. I am learning so much REAL-life experiences that give me hope as I am still researching where to go for my surgery...THANKS to all that have had your surgeries and for sharing detailed information...waiting on the layers of insurance so I can have this done beyond Kansas...

I go in tomorrow for my 4th ear tube procedure..got my first one when I turned 50 ( 6 years ago)

as I finally got my ENT to realize the pain I was in...fluid build up behind the eardrum. And yes, this is very common for children-they outgrow it... I asked my current ENT ( I am on my 5th one) the one that finally scheduled the CT scan and confirmed I do have eagles...if he thought the eagles had any bearing on my ear issue...he looked puzzled, and said, "Oh, I suppose it could have something to do with it"

I am hoping so much that after I have my surgery, then I can say no more to ear-tubes. I experience the verdigo and sickness and the ENT says that is rare. WELL...what else is new with us 'rare-eagles'? thanks in advance for anyone that can share!

Hello, art4u and welcome! I am an audiologist so let me give you the quick answer about middle ear fluid. Anything that causes congestion/inflammation in the nasopharynx is likely to cause Eustachian tube dysfunction, which typically leads to middle ear effusion. I have struggled with middle ear symptoms myself (though not effusion) and I am convinced that ES is a large part of it. If your ES is causing inflammation of the tissue in the nasopharnx there is a very good chance that it is part of your problem as well. Good luck!

Oh my THANKS so very much for your reply and sharing your knowledge...

yesterday was the toughest ear-tube yet!! My ENT actually "shrieked when he looked in my ear..."that is one nasty ear...it's as if the eustachian tube is not working at all!" Well it certainly felt like that!!

Sure will be ready to schedule that ES surgery...bye-bye

nasty calcified pieces in my way!!!! Are you an ES sufferer too??

all the best

I did not get ear tubes put in, although one doc did suggest this. The eustachian issue is one thing that is better after surgery. It's not all gone, but is IS MUCH better. The darn thing used to stay closed for days, now it pops on and off a few times every few days, but doesn't stay closed and hasn't been painful when equalizing like in the past. I'm still only a few weeks out of surgery, so time will tell whether it goes away, stays like this, or comes back.

To be honest, when the eustachian acts up now, it's when I'm scrunching that shoulder up, leaning on that shoulder, or holding my stress in that shoulder and jaw. When I relax or rub the muscles back down, it does go back to normal.

I was not able to get it back to normal doing this before surgery. I tried, but it mostly stayed shut.

Thank you so much for sharing...and I read your detailed story of your surgery experience...so reassuring to read about your good outcome!! I am considering going to CA for my surgery and you sang Dr. Samji praises, so another positive!! I see many good things about Dr. Cognetti in PA, as well...I am in KS so either way, I feel like I will be in good hands! I was elated that our insurance will cover both docs!! SOooo, the question for you now...HOW are you feeling today??'I too, hold all my tension in jaw- extreme tmj issues and braces 3x...ugh & favor my shoulder...I even have a fuzzy pillow "security blanket"...it just feels comforting...I may even bring my fuzzy frog for surgery...I know, 56 going on 6...

Another ? for you since you experience the popping ear fullness...I have been afraid to fly for years since my ears always hurt do bad...have you had this or flown since your ES surgery?? HUGE heartfelt thanks for taking time to reach out and share!!!! xo

Tee said:

I did not get ear tubes put in, although one doc did suggest this. The eustachian issue is one thing that is better after surgery. It's not all gone, but is IS MUCH better. The darn thing used to stay closed for days, now it pops on and off a few times every few days, but doesn't stay closed and hasn't been painful when equalizing like in the past. I'm still only a few weeks out of surgery, so time will tell whether it goes away, stays like this, or comes back.

To be honest, when the eustachian acts up now, it's when I'm scrunching that shoulder up, leaning on that shoulder, or holding my stress in that shoulder and jaw. When I relax or rub the muscles back down, it does go back to normal.

I was not able to get it back to normal doing this before surgery. I tried, but it mostly stayed shut.