Bad Medicine Post-Op Treatment

Hello informed eagle members,

Just thought I would pass this important medical information on to anyone who will be taking antibiotics for post-surgery treatment or for whatever medical reason. I was given a strong, broad spectrum antibiotic, Augmentin 500 mg/daily as part of an infection treatment after my right styloid surgery almost three weeks ago. The physician assistant in the recovery room apparently didn't read my medical history when he prescribed it to me as I had intestine issues in the past. However, I had taken this drug before in the past but for only one week and had no problems and didn't question it. Now, after almost 3 weeks post-op, I have another medical issue to deal with: Clostridium Difficile (C-Diff). At risk for this contagious bacteria infection are hospitalized patients, the elderly, and anyone that has received antibiotics. Symptoms can develop 4 to 8 weeks after finishing the antibiotic. Symptoms are extreme abdominal cramps, watery diarrhea, fatigue, flu-like bone and muscle aches, loss of appetite, dehydration, headache, and fever (these are just some of what I experienced). The ironic treatment is having to take another antibiotic called Flagyl (Metronidazole - generic). How nuts is that to have to take another antibiotic to clean-up the mess of another antibiotic. To think I actually read and knew about this infection before it happened to me. Who would have known, I do eat my yogurt? Thank God I am feeling better but I did learn a bitter pill lesson - even if you think you are educated on the subject and did your homework, always go over it again and double question any medicine that you are given and ask about future consequences of taking it. I realize I should never have been given a broad spectrum antibiotic for my condition. My experience, my story and my opinion.

FYI - Since 2002 the episodes of C-Diff have increased tremendously due to over prescription of antibiotics by medical professionals. Some people wind up with chronic C-Diff for the rest of their lives and in some extreme cases, death. Our immunity system starts in our gut and if we take something that messes up the harmony in there, we are more open to infection! I hope this information is helpful to someone.

Viperbone

Viperbone,

Sorry you are having to deal with this while recovering from ES surgery. Ugg! Thank you for sharing your story. Duly noted. I am sure it will help others. I try to avoid antibiotics at all cost. I do not know if this will help you are not but I take liquid or freeze dried acidophilus capsules 1-2 times a day when I am not sick or on antibiotics, when I am on them I take it 2-3 times a day.

Rest and take care. Saying prayers for you.

I'm so sorry this happened to you, Viperbone. Thank you for sharing your story to help others. I'll add my prayers to BigsBug's. Feel better soon.

Thanks for the information. Something I don't normally think about.

:-( Sorry you had to go through this. I am sure some doctors try to cover all the bases and leave no room for a life threatening bacterial infection to take hold after a surgery.

RB

I read about that and when I am off this medicine, I am going to buy it and take it everyday from now on. Thanks for the information and great advice. I appreciate any help I can get. Hope you are feeling much better after what you have been through also. A big hug!

BigsBug said:

Viperbone,

Sorry you are having to deal with this while recovering from ES surgery. Ugg! Thank you for sharing your story. Duly noted. I am sure it will help others. I try to avoid antibiotics at all cost. I do not know if this will help you are not but I take liquid or freeze dried acidophilus capsules 1-2 times a day when I am not sick or on antibiotics, when I am on them I take it 2-3 times a day.

Rest and take care. Saying prayers for you.

Thanks eagleheart. I hope this post finds you doing better with your health issues. The way my luck is going, I need all the prayers I can get. God bless you!

eagleheart said:

I'm so sorry this happened to you, Viperbone. Thank you for sharing your story to help others. I'll add my prayers to BigsBug's. Feel better soon.

Thanks for the concern, R.B. I know you have a lot on your plate with your surgery coming up August 15th. Like I said before, we have to be our own advocates to safe guard our health. I pray you come through your surgery with flying colors! You deserve the absolute best surgical outcome considering all your research and the time it took for you to finally get a surgery date. Take care and God bless!

R.B. said:

:-( Sorry you had to go through this. I am sure some doctors try to cover all the bases and leave no room for a life threatening bacterial infection to take hold after a surgery.

RB

I just wanted everyone to know a possible consequence of taking antibiotics after a surgical procedure. Up until two months ago, I didn't know what C-diff was until my friend's mother caught it. Antibiotics serve their purpose in the health field, but we don't all have to take the strongest one for every procedure. My right styloid surgery was a success and I did find Dr. Carl Synderman an excellent surgeon and would highly recommend him. I still have a while to know if more symptoms will subside but I have noticed a difference. Thanks again for your effort and time in compiling the list eagle syndrome surgeons. I sincerely wish the best for you in your quest to find pain relief from you current ailments.

emma said:

Thanks for the information. Something I don't normally think about.

I really hope that your health challenges are nearing an end, Viperbone. No one should have to experience so much pain and sickness. :(

I'm doing tons better. I found a new type of physical therapy that is working well for me, and I'm benefitting from my multiple spinal care gadgets. I constantly think about the pain that I'm not in. I'm praying that you and the others on this forum find similar (or even better) relief soon. I hope BigsBug's tip helps. Hang in there!

Thanks again for the post, eagleheart. Glad you found a physical therapy routine that works for you! I also have spinal issues and understand your situation. That is the next medical issue that I need to investigate but I am going to wait a while and get over what I have currently. My motto is "when we fall down, we need to get up and fight even harder." Wishing you good health and positive mental thoughts to continue your battle. Take care and God bless you!

eagleheart said:

I really hope that your health challenges are nearing an end, Viperbone. No one should have to experience so much pain and sickness. :(

I'm doing tons better. I found a new type of physical therapy that is working well for me, and I'm benefitting from my multiple spinal care gadgets. I constantly think about the pain that I'm not in. I'm praying that you and the others on this forum find similar (or even better) relief soon. I hope BigsBug's tip helps. Hang in there!

Hi VB-I hope you are getting better. So how is the healing from the surgery, since the aftermath seems worse. It takes a lot of time to repopulate the good bacteria. My mom has a similar problem and has already advised me to stock up now on bacteria in my "gut" as she puts it. Eat yogurt after since its good active cultures and is probably the only thing I'll be able to handle. She recommended some product that has 30 billion bacteria from 10 strains in a capsule-she's a nutritionist so I listen to her about food stuff. But then she doesn't follow her own advice-like all of us! You said what my mom said that you found it bad to take another antibiotic to undo the effects of the first. I told her to get an injection instead and that helped more-by pass the tummy. Your gut is 70% of your immune system and there's more bacteria in us than our cells. We are basically the home for bacteria-little survivors. So if you try to kill them they can get even.

I hope you are on the mend all the way-round.

eagleheart

I have an osteopath (D.O.? I think) and she recommended an inversion table for my lower pain issues. The better back store lent me one to try and it reduced the sever sciatica pain and how far it spread. So I bought one after 3 months. Not sure all of your symptoms but it might help. I was and am skeptical but the pain did go down more than the epidurals and with the next step of a 4 vertebral fusion-i'll try anything even hanging upside-down. One suggestion, make sure all pets are locked up-I almost smushed the nosey cat. What gadgets do you use for your back?

2 more weeks until surgery #3 on the left-I hope the "third time is a charm" is true.

Thanks for the post Shaw. Yes, your mom has good advice. I have been eating two yogurts a day. When I'm done with this medicine, I will go shopping for a good, live culture pro-biotic source. Went to the doc this morning to run some blood tests to make sure my liver is not shutting down again after the last time in 2008 when I was given "bad medicine" that landed me in the hospital for two weeks. Maybe I'm just the unlucky one to have to cope with sensitivity to medicines for the rest of my life. Yes, you are so right about our gut being 70% of our immune system. That is why I wanted to post my experience with the C-diff bacteria to inform everyone about this serious problem because it is in critical growth in the population and one strain is in antibiotic resistant mutation. Will be thinking about you has we approach your surgery date. Take care of yourself.

shaw said:

Hi VB-I hope you are getting better. So how is the healing from the surgery, since the aftermath seems worse. It takes a lot of time to repopulate the good bacteria. My mom has a similar problem and has already advised me to stock up now on bacteria in my "gut" as she puts it. Eat yogurt after since its good active cultures and is probably the only thing I'll be able to handle. She recommended some product that has 30 billion bacteria from 10 strains in a capsule-she's a nutritionist so I listen to her about food stuff. But then she doesn't follow her own advice-like all of us! You said what my mom said that you found it bad to take another antibiotic to undo the effects of the first. I told her to get an injection instead and that helped more-by pass the tummy. Your gut is 70% of your immune system and there's more bacteria in us than our cells. We are basically the home for bacteria-little survivors. So if you try to kill them they can get even.

I hope you are on the mend all the way-round.

eagleheart

I have an osteopath (D.O.? I think) and she recommended an inversion table for my lower pain issues. The better back store lent me one to try and it reduced the sever sciatica pain and how far it spread. So I bought one after 3 months. Not sure all of your symptoms but it might help. I was and am skeptical but the pain did go down more than the epidurals and with the next step of a 4 vertebral fusion-i'll try anything even hanging upside-down. One suggestion, make sure all pets are locked up-I almost smushed the nosey cat. What gadgets do you use for your back?

2 more weeks until surgery #3 on the left-I hope the "third time is a charm" is true.

Hello again informed eagle members,

I am finally feeling better after my bout with C-Diff (Clostridium Difficile) but still have a week of treatment left to make sure the bad bugs are under control and not deal with a relapse. I am still dealing with the after effects of my right styloid surgery, but am very hopeful that I will continue to improve. I just wanted to bring the C-diif up because we must be very aware of the medications we put in our mouths and the consequences. Anyone wanting to read and understand about this condition should check out http:/www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/news/20080530/c-diff-epidemic-wha....

Hello informed eagle members,

I finished my antibiotics and all my blood test levels were good. Thank God, because I didn't want to take another course of those gut retching pills. It has been over four weeks since my styloid surgery, and I still have some pains. Unfortunately, my right ear tinnitus is still there and I still feel some deep, right ear pain and some right eye pain with mild right jaw and throat pain. I am still hopeful with time these will subside in intensity. I have seen a substantial improvement in mid back, lower front diaphragm pain, neck and shoulder pain. Of course, I have been off pain medicine and inflammation medicine due to my C-Diff problem. I will have to wait until Wednesday to be able to take something for allergies and inflammation. Not soon enough for me though. Just wanted to give an update on my symptoms while I still heal from styloid surgery. Take care all and I wish everyone the best in life including relief from constant pain and mental anxiety that comes with having a rare condition.

With Kind Regards and Positive Thoughts,

Viperbone

Thanks for the post, sustain. You have first hand experience dealing with this condition when patients have this horrible infection and dressing up in hazmet protection mode. I am lucky my immune system and the Flagyl fought it off. I have an older friend that has chronic C-Diff and will have to deal with it for the rest of her life. I just wanted to make people aware of this bacteria infection due to overuse of antibiotics. It is a condition that is on the increase every year and becoming more resistant to antibiotic treatment.

I hope you are doing o.k. with your eagles symptoms and that you found the proper medical care to deal with it. Please take care of yourself especially working in a hospital. Wishing you all the best in life,

With Kind Regards,

Viperbone

Thanks sustain. We hope to see you around too!

V B A basic questions--what's the incision like? How's it feel while healing. Since I am having the tonsil removed too which will hurt more? or does it matter?

Shaw,

In my case, the right throat felt like someone scrapped it raw the first couple of days after surgery. It was very similar to just having your tonsils out. It was swollen and I did cough up some yucky gunk the first three days. It looked like I had the mumps and I could barely speak. The first couple of weeks you really shouldn't strain your vocal cords, stretch your neck or do any, quick sudden movements of your head. Take everything slow the first couple of days. It may hurt a little longer because you are having two different things hacked out at the same time. That is putting it blunt but your body is going to have to heal in two separate zones now. You will probably be given a prescribed mouth and gargle rinse to use for two weeks. Please have an ice bag handy to put on the side of your throat- it really helps with the swelling and pain. How does it feel healing - kind of an inner scratchy feeling but that will subside with time. Hey, you will be o.k. I will be pulling for you on the 29th of August when you go in for your styloid and tonsil surgery.

shaw said:

V B A basic questions--what's the incision like? How's it feel while healing. Since I am having the tonsil removed too which will hurt more? or does it matter?