Blurry vision, what now

Thank you. I was meaning to start a new thread. Does anyone have blurry vision? Three days ago my vision has gone blurry with black dots. I went to optician and all is well? Should I go to my Drs or just accept it as floaters? It’s very bleary :frowning:

Bleary vision can be a sign of vascular compression (can be caused by ES) of either the internal carotid artery or internal jugular vein. ICA compression can be more serious than IJV compression due to the possibility of causing a blood clot/stroke. Both cause miserable symptoms.

Here’s the thing, there are other possible causes. I would encourage you to have a dilated eye exam by an opthamologist. Our eyes are so important to how we function.

Sharon from ModSupport

2 Likes

Thank you, I done that; all good from opticians, eyes looks fine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last year, I had my eyes tested as I felt my vision had deteriorated. I had some blurring and floaters. My eyesight had deteriorated but eye health was fine. I was also getting spontaneous subconjuctival haemorrhages. I felt quite ill on the day so didn’t get new glasses.

A year on, after bilateral washouts of TMJs, returned for repeat test and my eyesight has improved significantly! My astigmatism has gone! My neck problems/elongated styloids are still a problem but not impacting my eyes.

My hypothesis as a lay person trying to make sense of things is this: if you have compression
or inflammation in that area and the nerves are involved, surely the muscles affecting the eyes must be affected? All the vessels and nerves in this area must get impacted? What do others think?

Get it properly checked out though x

2 Likes

I agree @Mcwelly- I have dry eyes, not sure if it’s maybe an autoimmune condition from the inflammation ES caused, or whether it’s nerve damage from the Trigeminal nerve, which I believe innervates the glands in the eyes?

2 Likes

Yes _ @Jules - I’ve had dry eyes for many years, first picked up by opticians but ANCA and rheumatoid tests were negative.

2 Likes

I had an exam with an opthamalogist, he examined my eyes and stated the floaters and the dots possibly due to the ES.

4 Likes

Your opthalmologist gets a gold star for actually acknowledging the possible link. Did they explain how, is it due to increase in ICP or something else?

3 Likes

Same here! I didn’t go for the lip biopsy for my dry mouth in the end, felt it wasn’t worth the pain!

1 Like

Optician said I have dry eyes, I’ve also been getting repeated styles in my left eye. I also got a Subconjunctival hemorrhage for the first time a few months ago! All very strange. Eye exam was normal. Optician said the repeated stys are not.
I went for a lupus and Sjogren’s test, came back normal. I’m blaming styloids! Thanks all :slight_smile:

3 Likes

They done this using the drops, all normal… meaning didn’t find anything

1 Like

Wow was thinking the same, amazing some professionals can actually connect the dots, wish they all could do a little more of this

2 Likes

When blood tests are negative, you are dismissed and rarely are the blood tests followed up. It seems that blood tests are the only things looked for and not taken in conjunction with looking, feeling, examining the patient! Good luck at joining the dots @Lemontree - ps I kept getting spontaneous sub conjunctival haemorrhages too. Not had one for a year now. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Absolutely agree,
You have to connect the dots, in fact I’m going to get access to my medical records.
I was told years ago I have fusion of two vertebrae, I just assumed it’s normal and I bet loads of people are born with that. Nothing has ever been said or done. I’m not reading that this could be Klippel-feil syndrome. I’ve moderate to severe hearing loss. You have got to dig for your own answers and do the research.

2 Likes

I had a spell of quite a few of those, not had any for a bit either, hope yours don’t come back for you!

@Lemontree - Hearing loss could be a symptom of IJV compression. There have been links to a couple of research articles posted here about that. I’m looking into it for myself at the moment.

https://www.pagepressjournals.org/index.php/vl/article/view/vl.2014.3854/5620

1 Like

Hearing loss runs in my family, I believe I have some kind of genetic hearing loss, I wear hearing aids, I don’t think nerve compression helps, I always feel like I’m underwater.

1 Like

I’m sorry for your hearing loss regardless of the cause. I haven’t investigated getting a hearing aid yet because in addition to having hearing loss that same ear also has hyperacusis so putting a sound amplifier in it would be painful. SHEESH!!

I hope you get some ease of that, I’m thinking the opposite helps in this case like noise reduction headphones. My daughter has autism and suffers from this. Hearing aids I think would be very uncomfortable, it takes time to adjust to it and in the process you hear a whole heap of additional sounds like rustling of hair and wind blowing. My hearing is that bad I can’t communicate properly. x

1 Like