Calcified ligament

Hello to my fellow ES friends. Now post op 2 yrs I’m experiencing neck pain under my ear on the same side the styloid was removed. I have also experienced ligament spasms. I see my ENT in 5 weeks, but wanted to check to see if anyone has had this

Hi Theegalehaslanded,
This has come through as a private message- did you want to make it an open discussion for everyone to see?
Sorry to hear that you’re having pain again. Are you concerned that the styloid process may have grown back- we have seen a few members come back with that unfortunately? I do occasionally get tightness in my neck following surgery, but I think it’s scar tissue & I massage it with Bio-oil, that seems to help. Sounds different to your pain, but it could be scar tissue with you?
Best wishes, Jules

Thanks for responding, i thought it was to everyone. It seems to be a wide section under my ear.

···

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Jules ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Date: 1/14/18 4:12 AM (GMT-05:00) To: ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Subject: [Eagle Syndrome - Online Support Group] [PM] Calcified ligament

Jules

January 14

Hi Theegalehaslanded,

This has come through as a private message- did you want to make it an open discussion for everyone to see?

Sorry to hear that you’re having pain again. Are you concerned that the styloid process may have grown back- we have seen a few members come back with that unfortunately? I do occasionally get tightness in my neck following surgery, but I think it’s scar tissue & I massage it with Bio-oil, that seems to help. Sounds different to your pain, but it could be scar tissue with you?

Best wishes, Jules

Visit Message or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi there, just want you guys to know these messages don’t seem to be private – I can see them and I’m sure they’re out in the open. :slight_smile:

Theeaglehaslanded, I hope you get some helpful answers. Incidentally, was it an ENT who diagnosed/helped you with ES originally? The ENT I saw merely ordered a CT scan, and when that came back clear, he said there was nothing more he could do for me from an ENT perspective, so I had to assume that ENTs don’t explore things like ES or facial neuralgias etc.

Have a wonderful day.

1 Like

Hi Canada2018. I can see that a site moderator made this discussion public, as Theeaglehaslanded wished it to be.

(Theeaglehaslanded - that is quite a screen name you’ve got there!)

Christina from Moderator Support

2 Likes

I have had good luck with Gua Sha for breaking up scar tissue. My acupuncturist does this but I also do it to my own neck. You can use a spoon with jojoba oil. It’s a light scraping on the area where there might be scar tissue. You can also buy a little Gua Sha tool via Amazon. Google it! I also bought my own TENS unit via Amazon for $30- which can be helpful when my neck tightens up.

2 Likes

My Ent travels across usa lecturing . Im so blessed to live close enough to be able to be his patient

Thats how i felt when i was diagnosed. It did indeed land

Hi Theeaglehaslanded! I just looked at your profile & see we’re the same age & were diagnosed w/ ES around the same time. Recently I have begun to have very occasional neck pain similar to that which alerted me to ES in the first place. It’s not bad enough that I think I need a follow-up. I chalk it up to ongoing irritation in my neck from having had 2 major surgeries there, stress, etc. I have no scar tightness so can’t blame that.

I hope that you find your pain to be residual from your surgery even 2 years out & not a regrowth of anything.

I’m so glad to hear you have a trusted ENT/surgeon to rely on for an acurate diagnosis at your follow-up. That is AWESOME!!

Im getting it checked next week. My ligament has went into spasms and its very painful. Have you experienced this? Plus just diagnosed with fibromyalgia

Sounds like you’re having a rough time- let us know how you get on with your ENT appt. Also there’s a Ben’s Friends group for Fibro if you want info or support for this: http://www.livingwithfibro.org/

My stylohyoid ligaments were removed w/ my styloids so no ligament pain/spasms. I think what I have is occasional nerve pain which doesn’t surprise me. I’ve had no additional diagnoses at this point.

I’m sorry to hear about your new diagnosis & hope hope hope your appointment helps to resolve why you’re getting the ligament pain.

BOOM! I knew I wasn’t crazy! I’m post op bilateral in 2015 from Baylor in Houston. External, took out calcified stylohyoid ligaments and snipped my styloids back. First done in May, second in July 2015
The neck pain along with a hard lump behind and below ear and just in front of mastoid process. The pain is indeed a pulling, gnawing, burning pain all the way down neck.
I didn’t think I would have to worry about it anymore since my bone head self thought since amputees don’t grow back limbs…I have nothing to worry about…WRONG
After extensive imaging, a CT was finally done…they have grown back with a vengeance. So back to the drawing board. But this time as per Jules said, I will make sure the WHOLE styloid is snipped. This pain is much worse than before with multiple issues (ears,eyes,swallowing,ect)
These nerves and arteries must be squashed like a cricket after my dog has gotten to it.

YIKES!! Glad you’ve gotten a clear diagnosis & can proceed from a base of knowledge. It seems we’re seeing incidents of regrowth more often on this forum these days.
Will you go back to the same surgeon or have you secured a new one?

He wants me to send the CT and go from there. I’m going to stick with him. Best place to be if things go south. I’m betting not many surgeons are aware of regrowth so quickly…so I’m wanting him to know first hand about it and do some magic. I believe Baylor also has a skull base surgeon that will be at his disposal.

I also have to add that since I live four hours away, he was able to accommodate me with my appointment on first day and surgery the next day! Day one was pre-op stuff and lots of imaging then the evening in the hotel hot tub and an early morning surg. Love Baylor Med! Houston Methodist is where Donovan does it

Good luck TheEaglehaslanded!

Sorry that you’ve got to have surgery again, but glad that you at least know what’s causing your neck pain. Best wishes!