Click in throat /TMD

Hello , for those of your suffering from clicking in throat on swallowing: Do you also have TMD on that side? I have click on a right side, and pop in jaw when yawning; was told by primary doctor yesterday that I have TMD , and recommended to start wearing mouse guard .
I’m curious if those go hand in hand. My clicking in throat appeared at around the same time pop in jaw. Thank you :pray:t2:
H

Hi hopehope1,

Where ES is concerned, the clicking when swallowing usually coincides w/ a calcified (or partially calcified) stylohyoid ligament. This tethers the hyoid bone so it can’t move normally when you swallow, breathe, talk, sing, etc. When the hyoid bone isn’t moving normally & the s-h ligament isn’t free due to calcification, I believe the problems caused translate “up the chain” as it were & ultimately can affect the jaw joint. I think a click w/ swallowing goes hand in hand w/ TMJ symptoms for many people. You could look back at some of SewMomma’s earlier posts to see if she commented about TMJ as “the click” when swallowing was her most troubling & painful ES symptom.

Thank you kindly, Isaiah!

@hopehope1
I just saw your conversation w/ Sewmomma. Guess my advice was a little late. Glad you were resourceful!!

1 Like

Yes, I did ask her about it earlier today. Thank you :blush:

Luckily my insurance paid for the $800 “appliance” as the dentist called it. I wore it for one day and knew that wasn’t my problem. I was given the mouth piece in 9/2018 and I was diagnosed with ES in 11/2018 and had surgery that stopped the click in 1/2019. That mouth piece still sits in my bathroom cabinet.

1 Like

SewMomm ~
Saving it for a rainy day? :rofl:

1 Like

Ha ha, yes - why in the world do I still have the thing?! It’ll be fun to toss it one day! :blue_heart:

1 Like

My primary would not even refer me to dentist yet. I guess she wants me to buy over the counter appliance— which I will. She also said stop eating crunchy foods… if it does not help, she would refer me to dentist.

I’ve had the stop eating crunchy foods advice for years…Sadly, I’m addicted to nuts of all varieties especially toasted nuts that are nice & crunchy. I’ve tried reverting to eating them in their sliced forms, but it’s just not the same… :weary:

1 Like

You are right, Isaiah, these are delicious ! I feel bad you can’t have them…!

Take up kickboxing & you have a mouth guard already?!

2 Likes

I’m bad. I eat them anyway & put up w/ jaw joint pain/dysfunction. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread, and not sure if you’ve found any relief, but i just found out today that i have TMD on the side that clicks. My ENT didn’t tell me that but just told me that my hyoid bone were elongated without reading the report…

@F_t - I know you’re not addressing me here, but I just read back through this thread & saw I commented on TMJD for myself, but never noted I had terrible jaw clicking starting as a child. My jaw joints were so painful & locked open when I yawned, that in my late 40s, I got braces on my teeth to realign my bite. Getting my bite realigned did stop the jaw locking & helped reduce pain, but it wasn’t until the past couple of years (5+ yrs after styloid removal) that I no longer have joint pain. My right jaw is noisy when I chew & talk (sounds like plastic wrap crinkling when you wad it up), but thankfully, for the moment, it’s not painful.

2 Likes