Cost of surgery

Can anyone tell me about how much it cost to have the external surgery for ES on one side?

In Barcelona, it’s 3500€

Hi Maxence. Were you going to Barcelona this week for the appointment? Good luck and please give us an update!

I thought it was the price you told me. Isn’t it nenufar?

I know of one forum member who priced the surgery at a couple places in the US because her insurance wouldn't cover it and I think it was about $20,000 - $30,000. Is that what you're asking - how much it would be without insurance?

Yes, we are private pay. My surgeon said it would be out patient. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I tried calling around to different hospitals and none of them could give me an answer because of the rarity of this surgery. Really?

heidemt said:

I know of one forum member who priced the surgery at a couple places in the US because her insurance wouldn't cover it and I think it was about $20,000 - $30,000. Is that what you're asking - how much it would be without insurance?

Eagles surgery is pretty rare. I don't think there is a code for Eagles, so that's why the hospitals wouldn't be able to give you an estimate. The doctors that I'm aware of have used different codes to cover the surgeries. Your best bet would be to ask the surgeon's office what code he would use and then ask the hospitals what they would charge for that surgery.

maxence said:
I thought it was the price you told me. Isn't it nenufar?

Yes, Maxence. I was told 3500 Euros. But, that is the fee of the surgeon. To that price you have to add hospital stay (3 or 4 days, I think),anesthesia and rental of surgery room as well. I don’t know what total would come to. That is something you should ask when you go there.

Ok. Thanks for your answer. I need this surgery!!! I’m fed up, tired of this pain! I have pain in the bottom of my back too. Postural problèm. I didn’t have any normal life. I stay on my couch all Day long.

I think the total for my surgery was $20,000-$21,000. I have great insurance & so I paid very little of that total (although my insurance only paid about half of the total). My surgery was billed as a mini-craniectomy. I think the key for getting insurance to pay is for the docs to be creative in what they call the styloid excision surgery! Many doctors and surgery centers give sizeable discounts for cash paying patients. You should ask about that. A gal who was posting on this site & who lived outside the US but was considering coming here for ES surgery, got a quote from my surgeon, and it was less than half the fee my insurance was billed. She would have been paying cash.

Hope this info is helpful for you.

:)