Cost of surgery?

Hey gang,

I’m wondering what people’s cost was for surgery? I have good insurance, but I’d like to predict my upcoming copay. I only have one styloid that needs surgery. Thanks!

Hi Jesssonn,

I also had good insurance but had to have 2 surgeries (bilateral ES). I think I paid between $1,000-2,000 for each surgery when all was said & done. There were charges from the surgery center, the anesthesiologist & surgeon. The surgery center required payment up front. The anesthesiologist & surgeon billed me after insurance paid. The cost may be higher than that now as my surgeries were in 2014 & 2015. I was totally amazed at how small my bill was from the surgeon ( a few hundred dollars) after my insurance paid. I expected it to be much higher.

Thanks! I suppose I should clarify that I know copays are different but if anyone knows what the original cost is? I’m tired of going from doctor to doctor and decided to go with Dr Samji, even though he’s across the nation from me.

I also know some doctors lower the price of your copay, too. I recently had about $3,000 worth of labs ran and the lab dropped my copay to zero. It’s happened a few times. But my hubby asked me recently what I thought the surgery would cost us, and it’s a good question.

The best way to find out is to call the doctor’s office. If you are traveling, you will have to consider travel expenses and hotel stays and meals. When I considered Dr Samji, I estmated travel and lodge would be cheaper there than in Philadelphia near U of Penn where I considered a different doctor.Luckily, I ended up at a doctor near home. Others can tell you how long they stayed after surgery.

WOW! That’s fantastic that the lab did that for you! You certainly live in a generous area! I suppose all those fees are negotiable though I never thought about it before. Do contact Dr. Samji’s office for an accurate idea of the total cost of ES surgery. Lauren (Dr. Samji’s med assistant) should be able to get that information for you.