Cough, throat tightness and stinging sensations?

Hi everyone, I’m curious about people’s experience with cough/throat tightness tied to Eagles. I was diagnosed with Eagles that explained my chronic voice pain and voice issues, but I’ve also had a chronic cough for the last year, and unexplained throat tightness + crazy stinging sensations in my neck…that have not been explained by anything other than “allergies”. Had ruled out asthma and all kinds of other obvious things. It is not constant, it comes and goes but seems to be triggered by things which is why it’s been thought to be allergies, but now I’m wondering if it could have anything to do with the Eagles diagnosis and how that affects surrounding nerves/tissues.

Has anyone had Eagles symptoms of cough and throat tightness/stinging sensations in the neck? Eagles was one part of my puzzle, and now I’m still trying to figure out this one as well…but wondering if they could be related :frowning:

Thank you so much.

I’ve not had these symptoms, but if you search for cough you’ll find a few mentions in the past discussions. Hope this helps, it seems other members have had it too. Lots of members get diagnosed with & treated for allergies mistakenly for sore throats etc, that seems to be quite common!

1 Like

I have throat tightness and tingling in my throat. I had this even before having my styloid removed and I still have it a little over a month later. My understanding is that after the styloid is removed, it can take months to heal these issues. Some days are better than others. I get a choking sensation when I try to lay on my right side for some reason…I’m guessing nerve compression. Good luck to you. Hope you find some relief. I totally understand how difficult these throat issues can be.

2 Likes

Hi jessicarae87 -

The cough & throat tightness could be caused by your vagus nerve. The vagus nerve is often irritated by the styloid & can cause myriad symptoms that all seem unrelated. It could also be causing the stinging sensations in your neck although those would more likely be coming from your accessory nerve - another one affected by ES. Throat “sensations” can also be caused by the glossopharyngeal nerve. These 3 nerves are half of the 6 cranial nerves most commonly irritated by ES.

1 Like

My advice is go to an ENT. They can peek in your throat and determine if that cough is from reflux or your thyroid. My daughter coughed for years and was treated for allergies. Turns out it was reflux the whole time.

1 Like

Hi Jessicarae87. For a long time I coughed whenever I turned my head to the side or touched my throat in certain way (e.g., putting on sunscreen). It felt almost reflexive and was not coming from my chest. This disappeared entirely after surgery.

1 Like

I’ve gone back & forth between reflux and allergies many times…done treatment for both! I have always thought I was having weird allergic reactions but now after the ES diagnosis I’m curious it could be some neuropathy. I have seen a lot of ENTs and had my vocal cords looked at and they were never red or inflamed at all so reflux was always ruled out…it’s so tough with chronic cough to really nail it down :confused: I hope your daughter was able to treat her cough! It’s so frustrating to live with that all the time

1 Like

Interesting…! That’s amazing it went away after surgery. Mine isn’t related to any specific head positions…but it gets triggered randomly and I have not been able to figure out what the trigger is…be it allergens, foods, etc. It would make a lot of sense if there was some nerve stuff going on because of the Eagles Syndrome. Most other common causes of chronic cough have been ruled out for me…!

2 Likes