Could someone explain to me the difference between vascular and classic ES

I would really appreciate it if someone could let me know what is the difference between vascular and classic ES and do they just affect the styloid process or is the calcification of the ligament that extends from the styloid process to the bone just in the neck (hyoid bone) something different. I believe they are all under the ES category.

the short and overly simplified answer is that Vascular ES is when the styloid presses on the carotid or jugular and cause vascular symptoms - Classic is when the styloid causes muscle and nerve pain (as opposed to vascular compression)

Tina said:

the short and overly simplified answer is that Vascular ES is when the styloid presses on the carotid or jugular and cause vascular symptoms - Classic is when the styloid causes muscle and nerve pain (as opposed to vascular compression)

Is it possible to have both? How is that accessed? could you give me an example of Vascular symptoms, and Classic symptoms? I also, would like to know if anyone here experiences problems with losing their voice? I just saw an ENT in ALb. NM, who read the results of my CT. That points out ES. with calcification on both styloids. but insists, ES does not effect ones vocals? So, he doesn't think I have ES. And my head aches, dizziness, neck pain, ear pain, Are caused by shoulder, & neck strain, in turn that is what is effecting my voice!! Is he crazy......Or, am I ?

Hi Nanners,

Certainly voice problems are quite common- if you check out the discussion 'eye problems', someone has very helpfully added in a research paper which lists all the symptoms, and that states that voice changes are to do with the compression of the structures in the throat but an elongated styloid. Again, ear pain and dizziness are put down to compression of different nerves, and also with the neck pain. You are not crazy, but your doctor is mis-informed, as are most of them!!

Vascular ES also causes dizziness, blacking out if the head is in certain positions, and sometimes stroke like problems. I would presume that if the styloid is pressing on blood vessels, it will still be pushing against nerves, or they would be compressed, so then you would have both symptoms. If anyone else understands more about vascular ES, please feel free to add in! It is diagnosed with a CT scan - my understanding is you can get 3D CTs, or CTs with contrast. Being in the UK, those aren't offered very often!

Neck and shoulder pain are common- if everything else in the neck area is being compressed or moved about because of bones/ calcification which shouldn't be there, it stands to reason that as you're in pain, you'll be tense, which will make it all worse. As you have ES and calcification, and symptoms common to ES patients, then you definitely have ES.

Perhaps think about getting a referral to another doctor- Emma has put a list of recommended ones in previous discussions, have a search through!

Good luck.

Voice problems are indeed a symptom. While I never became hoarse or lost my voice, leading up to surgery, all of my symptoms were flared and one of those symptoms was pain derived from raising my voice or even singing in the car. Even now 8 weeks post op if I am having dinner with friends and become too chatty it flares and I have to be quiet for a while until it calms down. I’m hoping once I get the other side done that part will go away.

Jules,

Thanks for your reply it was very helpful. I was feeling so defeated after yesterday's visit. How is your search going in the UK? What part of the UK do you live in? If you don't mind me asking. I've been there a couple of times, My husbands brother use to live there, Now he's in Amsterdam. But, will be moving back in the next year. He is trying to help me find someone here In the US. He's sister in law is a research DR. in Boston. Hopefully, They will be able to help. I;m going to print out Emma's recommendations. And take it with me next time.Thanks again,

Jules said:

Hi Nanners,

Certainly voice problems are quite common- if you check out the discussion 'eye problems', someone has very helpfully added in a research paper which lists all the symptoms, and that states that voice changes are to do with the compression of the structures in the throat but an elongated styloid. Again, ear pain and dizziness are put down to compression of different nerves, and also with the neck pain. You are not crazy, but your doctor is mis-informed, as are most of them!!

Vascular ES also causes dizziness, blacking out if the head is in certain positions, and sometimes stroke like problems. I would presume that if the styloid is pressing on blood vessels, it will still be pushing against nerves, or they would be compressed, so then you would have both symptoms. If anyone else understands more about vascular ES, please feel free to add in! It is diagnosed with a CT scan - my understanding is you can get 3D CTs, or CTs with contrast. Being in the UK, those aren't offered very often!

Neck and shoulder pain are common- if everything else in the neck area is being compressed or moved about because of bones/ calcification which shouldn't be there, it stands to reason that as you're in pain, you'll be tense, which will make it all worse. As you have ES and calcification, and symptoms common to ES patients, then you definitely have ES.

Perhaps think about getting a referral to another doctor- Emma has put a list of recommended ones in previous discussions, have a search through!

Good luck.

Heather,

Wow, That is certainly true for me too. I have to just rest my voice, and throat muscles, when I've been talking to much. Thanks for your reply, It truly helps me hearing everyone's response. Do you feel the surgery was successful?

Heather B said:

Voice problems are indeed a symptom. While I never became hoarse or lost my voice, leading up to surgery, all of my symptoms were flared and one of those symptoms was pain derived from raising my voice or even singing in the car. Even now 8 weeks post op if I am having dinner with friends and become too chatty it flares and I have to be quiet for a while until it calms down. I'm hoping once I get the other side done that part will go away.

Nanners,

I live in East Anglia. Have you been to this part of the UK? I live in ex-US military housing on part of an old base near Woodbridge, right near where a famous UFO sighting was - the Rendlesham Forest UFO!

I've been referred to a surgeon in Cambridge, but the hospital is a bit in crisis at the moment with so many winter-related admissions, so I don't think I'll be getting an appt. anytime soon, as non-emergency operations will be cancelled. Another person on here, Tiago78, is also waiting for the same surgeon, he's ahead of me! I don't mind waiting in a lot of ways; I'm pretty worried about having the op, so the longer this goes on, the more sure I'll be that I need it done! My pain is a lot more under control, but sleeping at night is worse again as I get such a horrible feeling of pressure on my worse side, and then last night the other side was like it too! I can't lay on my back for long as I've got a slipped disc too...I'll try one of those orthopaedic V shaped pillows and see if it helps!

I hope that you're family can help you find a good doc,

God bless, Jules