Could This Be Eagle Syndrome?

Hello.

I’m a 20-year-old male living in South Korea. I recently learned about Eagle syndrome (ES).

My symptoms began in 2024. Around that time I was diagnosed with a cervical disc herniation, though I’m not sure whether it’s related. The symptoms were as follows:

  • Dizziness and a foggy, almost drunk-like feeling
  • Persistent headache in the upper forehead area

At that point the symptoms weren’t severe, so I didn’t think anything was seriously wrong. But they gradually got worse over time. Symptoms that have developed within the past year include:

  • Headache that worsens when lying down
  • Pulsatile tinnitus that often appears when lying down — a “whooshing” sound in my right ear
  • Sharp, tingling pain in and below my right ear
  • Increased pressure in my head when I bend my head down low
  • A feeling that I might faint during strenuous activity
  • General weakness and a severe drop in stamina
  • Cognitive decline — even light conversation or reading is difficult

As the symptoms worsened, I realized something was wrong and began undergoing various tests.

Three months ago I had a brain MRI, and the doctor told me there was nothing wrong. A transcranial Doppler (TCD) and an EEG came back normal as well.

Recently I learned that my symptoms might be caused by internal jugular vein stenosis, so I explained my symptoms in detail to a neurologist. The doctor recommended cognitive function testing and a contrast-enhanced head and neck MRA. I also asked for imaging of the veins, but the doctor recommended looking at the arteries first and examining the veins afterward.

Personally, I think I may have vascular Eagle syndrome. I also seem to be showing symptoms of the classic type as well. I’d like to hear what you all think. If anyone has experienced similar symptoms, I’d appreciate your input.

1 Like

@Leeseungmin Welcome to the forum! I’m so sorry that you are having so many symptoms. The ones you mention are very common to Eagle’s with venous compression. It’s great that the tests you have had have not shown anything dangerous that might not be VES. And you are correct that you want to be looking at imaging of the veins to further assess for VES. A CT venogram would be really helpful. Since many doctors do not know about this condition it is important to educate yourself as best you can so you can advocate for yourself with your doctor. You can use the search function on this site to read about other people’s symptoms and the testing they have had. Keep us posted on your progress.

4 Likes

I had the same symptoms with IJV compression- the drunk feeling, dizziness, headache worse in the morning, pulsatile tinnitus, head pressure, cognitive decline/ brain fog… My bilateral IJV compression showed up really well on a CT with contrast, so I didn’t need any further testing.

If you’ve not had the MRA yet, I would have a think about this- MRIs don’t show the styloids well, it doesn’t sound like you have arterial compression, and the contrast medium they use for an MRA is usually Gadolinium, which can have side effects, have a read of this discussion:

Gadolinium contrast - General - Living with Eagle

If you’re able to , perhaps you could show your doctor a research paper or two which discuss IJV compression and which mentions similar symptoms, and try to persuade them to do a CT with contrast- if your doctor wants to see the arteries, the radiographers should be able to time the scan to capture both the arterial and venous phases?

The styloids often irritate the cranial nerves as well as compressing blood vessels, so it’s common to have both the classic symptoms of ES and vascular symptoms.

If you haven’t tried it already, sleeping propped up can help with the head pressure and morning headaches, so that’s worth a try. Some of our members have tried blood thinner medications which can help with the vascular symptoms if they’re really affecting your quality of life, but probably best to get this officially diagnosed first. I hope that you’re able to get a diagnosis soon!

3 Likes

@Leeseungmin - Welcome to our forum! I have nothing to add to what you’ve learned from both @Chrickychricky & @Jules , but I wanted to give you the link to our Research Paper section so you can scan through the titles & perhaps pick a few that mention the symptoms profile you have to take to your doctor.

3 Likes

Since your tests are coming back normal, I would request any arterial or veinous tests in the neutral position AND with the head turned to the side or down as well. My initial test came back normal with my head in neutral position but when I had venography done with different head positions it showed up right away. Don’t give up. I’m sorry you’re having so many issues. Many of them are similar to mine. Will keep you in my prayers :folded_hands:

4 Likes