Day two of recovery from intraoral surgery

Today is the 2nd day of recovery. I had my right styloid process removed on Wednesday. The pain isn't too bad at all, and I haven't had to take any pain meds for awhile. I do have a weird sensation in the area of my mouth where the stitches are located. I have been eating/drinking everything through a straw. Today I used a Nutribullet to turn ice into snow and added a little juice for flavor. I was able to eat this with a spoon and it was very soothing to my mouth. All in all….feeling pretty good so far.

Hi Lola,

Glad that you're feeling good so far, and great that you've found ice helpful. I've had external surgery, but found chewing and opening my mouth uncomfortable, so I used a juicer and blender for juices and smoothies. Take it easy!

Glad to hear you are doing well, Lola! Thanks for the update.

Wishing you continued healing and successful resolution of your symptoms! Keep us posted on how you are doing…was your surgery intraoral or external approach?

Thanks for your well wishes, Kay. Day 3 and nothing much has changed. I have not needed any pain medication today! I noticed yesterday, that the ringing in my ears is not gone! That was one of my symptoms prior to surgery. Hoping that it will eventually disappear!

Kay said:

Wishing you continued healing and successful resolution of your symptoms! Keep us posted on how you are doing...was your surgery intraoral or external approach?

Thanks for the well wishes, Madere(dancer mom)! Not much pain today and still eating soft stuff through a straw.

Madere (dancermom) said:

Glad to hear you are doing well, Lola! Thanks for the update.

Yes, opening my mouth wide enough to put a spoon in there is still a challenge for me, too. Hoping that changes soon because I am tired of eating everything through a straw.

Jules said:

Hi Lola,

Glad that you're feeling good so far, and great that you've found ice helpful. I've had external surgery, but found chewing and opening my mouth uncomfortable, so I used a juicer and blender for juices and smoothies. Take it easy!

Wonderful. Did they have to do the tonsil, too?

My tonsils were removed when I was a teenager.

Winterinmn said:

Wonderful. Did they have to do the tonsil, too?

WOW Lola!

So glad you've needed so little in the way of pain meds. Days 3-4 are typically the worst post op. Once you get on to day 5 you'll begin to see daily improvement. It sounds like you're doing extremely well to me. Be patient w/ your body. Hopefully your tinnitus will subside with time. I think after nerves have been irritated for awhile, it does take time for them to mend.

You'll be well & ready to teach in no time!

Healing hug to you!