Decompression surgery with Costantino

Hi all, tomorrow 10/6/23 is my big day. At long last a diagnosis and a plan. Dr. Peter Costantino will be performing internal jugular vein decompression surgery on me. He will remove my long styloid, shave down the c1 transverse process, perform Fasciotomy and clip the digastric muscle. He will also release any trapped nerves. He will do this along with Dr. Tobias.
I will be chronicling my journey with videos so as others need this done, they’ll know what to expect.

In my videos I show imaging, 3d and ‘regular’ to show what my issue is.
Paying it forward, as his has been a long time coming

13 Likes

Hi Barrootz,

Best wishes for your big day tomorrow. May everything run smooth with the outcome you like. Also best wishes for a speedy recovery. I’ll be sending positive vibes across the ocean to you and your surgeons.

Best regards :four_leaf_clover: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Way to educate! Hoping for wonderful response to freedom of structures ))). Look forward to hearing more.

5 Likes

Praying all goes well and that the surgery is successful! :pray:

4 Likes

Great presentation @Barrootz! I also hope & prayed your surgery went perfectly today. Looking forward to your updates. :hugs:

4 Likes

Very good and very interesting explanation but it is very important for me to know how it went with dr. Constantino and how are your symptoms at the moment? thank you. greetings.

1 Like

Hi, my surgery was Oct 6, today is Oct 8. I came home yesterday afternoon. I have a pretty high threshold for Pain, so it is bad. I’m using Tylenol to take the edge off it.
It’s too early to figured out if anything’s really changed….as I’m still purging the anesthesia and narcotics they gave me.
I will say, the brain fog is gone, I feel so much clearer in my head. I also don’t know how to explain it, but my eyesight feels better. I don’t feel like I’m straining.

8 Likes

Thank you very much. I’m home now recovering and I think I notice some positives already. Brain fog has lifted, and I feel like I see things more clearly.

5 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery, hope it all goes well and you are finally pain free

4 Likes

Might it have been vagus nerve compression or irritation that had caused your nausea or does it seem based on surgical findings that there was no nerve compression?

SPEEDY AND FULL RECOVERY!!! And thank you for the Youtube videos.

5 Likes

Dr. Costantino said in addition to the styloid and transverse process compressing the jugular vein that there was an artery wrapped around it and strangling it as well. He didn’t mention anything about the vagus nerve but I will get into deeper conversation with him when I see him at my post surgical follow up this week. I’m hoping to get copies of the before and after photos as well.

6 Likes

Glad you’re home & have noticed you’re thinking clearer already…take care of yourself :hugs: :pray:

2 Likes

Sounds as though you are doing great for just 2 days post op. You did a great job on your video. Thank you as I’m newly diagnosed, trying to learn as much as I can and which doc to see next! Hope your recovery continues to go well and will keep you in thought and prayer.

3 Likes

Again, speedy healing!!! Wishing you a full recovery. Best wishes.

3 Likes

Wow you got the everything surgery there. It’s fantastic listening to your videos and great to see you post surgery. I’ve subscribed so hopefully will remember to check in and hear your updates as you progress through recovery.

This however just to wish you the very best with the recovery and to thank you for the videos :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Glad to hear you made to the other side. I think the artery the Dr was referring to might have been Occipital Artery ( Yellow arrow) which I saw in your 3D video. I could be wrong but I think that is what it is. I also have that artery strangling my left IJV but the digastric muscle is compressing the artery against the IJV in my case.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m thinking it’s this one too. I’ll find out for sure on Thursday.

2 Likes

Thinking good thoughts hoping for a speedy recovery

2 Likes

Just home from Dr. my first post surgical follow up.
He is really happy with how I am doing, and so am I.
So far, no brain fog or dizziness, no false motion ‘jerks’.
He said my case was unique for him. In addition to the compression he expected from the Transverse Process and Styloid we had a surprise. My occipital artery was wrapped around the jugular squishing it even more!
He hadn’t seen that before. I saw images of after, and it looks neat and orderly and wonderful. I got some new meds for this thrush infection, and I am feeling good! Sore, yes, but good! Healing time!!

10 Likes

Really pleased that you’re seeing improvements already! Hope the infection goes soon, and take care of yourself :hugs: :pray:

3 Likes