Dilated Collaterals Cause Progressive Weakness on All Limbs as result of Bilateral Jugular Vein Occlusion - Interesting IJV Bypass Treatment

You might wanna play with the circled bar when rendering. You can make adjustments

This. Is from step 7 of Making Your Own 3D Images from CT Scan- 3D Slicer Tutorial

Hmm I have but Iā€™m still not getting any clear vessels

Was the CT a contrast enhanced or regular CT? If it is regular CT I am afraid you wonā€™t be able to see the vascular system very well as the signal will be weak and indifferentiable from normal tissues. Contrast enhanced should make the vascular system visible.

Itā€™s contrast enhanced Iā€™m wondering Iā€™m using the wrong series of images or something. I also have my cerebral angiogram workup

It looks to me like Dr. Annino did remove your styloids up close to the skull base, and whatā€™s left is a section of calcified stylohyoid ligament on each side. Note that whatā€™s left seems to be ā€œfree floatingā€ i.e. not attached at either end. Typically when we see that, itā€™s ligament calcification not styloid elongation. Some doctors remove the styloids but disregard ligament calcification farther down. It can be as problematic as the elongated styloids are, thus both styloids/calcified ligaments need to be removed for good symptoms recovery.

I can see what @KoolDude is referring to as well as the calcification that has been left appears to be right up against the tps of your C-1 vertebra.

Perhaps Iā€™m wrong but thatā€™s what my perception of your images is.

1 Like

Actually I was assuming those were glitches or something. Dr Annino only worked on one side the right one and you canā€™t actually see the difference he made.

Oops! My mistake. I remember you saying you had two different doctors operate to shorten the styloids. That doesnā€™t change my opinion of what I see on your scan though. Definitely looks to me like ligament calcification disassociated from the styloids.

Im noticing that now as well thatā€™s interesting. I wonder how much of this has to do with dental work.

Could definitely be ligament calcification, or imaging artifact. But another option could be fractured styloids, especially if theyā€™ve been operated on but not removed. They look pretty similar to this:

Only my right side has been worked out but the 2 sides are identical

It will be interesting to see what Dr. Hackman says. He should be able to clarify whatā€™s going on.

Iā€™m now scheduled for a video consult with Dr lo and constantino on the 14th of this month actually

1 Like

Are they on our list, @Msdstc? I gave it a quick read but didnā€™t see their names (didnā€™t check every state). If not, youā€™ll have to let us know how your consult goes. Weā€™re always looking for doctors to add.

Will be interesting to see how that goes!

A few bits of anatomy:

3 Likes

WOW! Thank you for this info! Will take time to look at it thoroughly very soon!!

@vdm Just reading through this and since I have a compromised cervical spine, this gets my attention. I have asked for a new MRI and they are ignoring my request (literally)ā€¦ based on the little Iā€™ve read, seems I would need one with contrast?
I did have an MRA at the ER 5 weeks ago, which they said was negative (didnā€™t elaborate, but suspect meant for compression).
If any additional info or pointers in this direction, would greatly appreciate.
Leah

1 Like

Not quite even sure what I could suggest doingā€¦ MRI with contrast would show more details of the venous system, but in general, it comes with lots of risks of itself - as current MRI contrasts rely on toxic metal Gadolinium, part of which is retained within the body and for some people eventually causes significant health issues on itself.
CT Venogram maybe? Some sort of myelogram to see if there are no spinal fluid leaks?..

3 Likes

@vdm Oh no! Was not aware about the contrast riskā€¦ Will look into that. TY

Look for Gadolinium Deposition Disease

1 Like