Doctor confused me

My pain is right sided. I got a CT scan by a facial surgeon. He said “your CT shows that.. there’s a styloid process and then what’s called a styloid ligament that comes from that…there’s no 100% correlation with the CT finding and pain with Eagle syndrome, but generally you’re going to see a fairly prominent one and someone that might have that problem, yours is not at all prominent.”

I’m not sure what to think of it? Even in the xray you can see how much more prominent the right side is. Thoughts?

IMG_4373|375x500

1 Like

@aspenlong - Welcome to our forum! I’ve looked at your CBCT image & can clearly see both styloids. Both are on the thicker side, & the fact they show up on your imaging means they’re longer than normal. Because you have symptoms & styloid elongation, I would say you have ES. Unfortunately, I’m not a doctor so my opinion doesn’t count.

I think the doctor you saw doesn’t know much about ES. Many of our members have been dismissed as not having ES “because it’s so rare” or because they didn’t have a particular symptom their doctor associates with ES even though elongated styloids/calcified stylohyoid ligaments are visible in imaging & the patient is otherwise symptomatic.

I disagree with this statement. Your styloids are both prominent with the right one being significantly longer than the left one. It’s likely both length & thickness of the right styloid (left side of image) that are causing your symptoms.

Unfortunately, we’ve been told the only doctor we know of in your state who does ES surgeries has cancer so is not currently practicing, but his contact info is below so you can try calling his office to see if there’s an update. Otherwise, you may have consult with a doctor outside of your state to get a proper diagnosis & go out of state to have surgery. Is it possible for you to travel?

Some of the doctors on our Doctors List will do initial consults via telehealth. You could get a diagnosis that way.

•Dr. James Suen, UAMS Health, (Does intraoral surgery w/o tonsillectomy & will do bilateral ES surgery), James Y. Suen, M.D. | UAMS Health

Other options:

•Dr. Trevor Hackman, UNC Ear, Nose and Throat Oncology Clinic – in the N.C. Cancer Hospital, 101 Manning Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, (984) 974-6484, Trevor G. Hackman | UNC Health

•Dr David Cognetti, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia 215- 955- 6760 (Has done many successful surgeries on members).
David M Cognetti MD | Jefferson Health Does do online or phone consults.

2 Likes

@aspenlong Welcome! I agree with what @Isaiah_40_31 said to you. Unfortunately Eagles Syndrome isn’t well known or studied, even by medical professionals.

2 Likes