Eagle Doctor at Michigan Medicine University of Michigan

I was just told that my ENT is referring me to University of Michigan. I really don’t want to waste time going there if they do not have a doctor that can help me. I looked on the doctor list but I don’t see any doctors from U of M.

I would suggest calling tomorrow, as when I called I was told they did not treat ES. They referred me to Ohio State. Maybe they can diagnose, but don’t operate. Please do let us know what happens.

2 Likes

Hi clasch,

I just found an old post from our forum member Kay. Here is an excerpt from her post:
“U of M refused to see me, and when I checked with a doctor at Wayne State, he declined.”

KristiKay posted this in 11/15 - “You can add Dr. Gregory Artz from Grand Rapids, Michigan to the list. He’s been a great surgeon and communicator throughout my diagnosis and treatment.”

You can use the magnifying glass icon in the upper right to search posts about each doctor from Michigan. I’ve just given you tidbits here. I think you’re wise not to waste time on potential “false leads”.

:blush:

1 Like

Agree with sjlash that ringing beforehand is the best bet…& find a doctor on the list who’s the nearest…

1 Like

clash-I just sent you a private message about my journey searching for a Michigan doctor. Best wishes!

2 Likes

Hi I Live in MI and there is another Lady that was on here as well that lived in MI. There is no Dr here in MI that deals with Eagles.
If you are willing to go out of state there are many on the Dr form.

There are several on the list in Michigan just none in U of M.

You are correct Jules…I think some have been added to the list since Gods_blessing was active on this site. Seems like there are more of us now in MI…

1 Like

Hi Kay,

If all goes well with your surgery, would you mind sharing the name of your doctor if it’s not on our doctors’ list & even if it is, so we can mentally note who a good Michigan doctor is? (awkward sentence…sorry…but you get the idea).

Thank you!

1 Like

I sure will. Best wishes to everyone fir a lovely day!

Dr. Gregory Artz is at the practice I am seeing and my Dr., Dr. Claudell Cox, consulted with him about my CT and they referred me to U of M who sent me a letter yesterday saying they don’t treat ES just as others have indicated. I am planning to call them today to ask for a referral Dr. Steven Chang at Henry Ford.

1 Like

Kay, your surgery is with Dr. Steven Chang, correct? Was that on the 24th? I appreciate your willingness to share your experience as I am still searching for a Dr. in Michigan or at least close to Michigan (maybe I will need to go to Ohio). Are the injections that you were getting something that any pain clinic may be able to do? I was seeing Dr. Javery and Javery Pain institute in Grand Rapids for a while and he did an Occipital nerve injection that didn’t help. Do you know what the injections were so maybe I can inquire?

My surgery is on the 27th-thanks in advance for thoughts and prayers!

Thank you. I will be anxious to hear how your surgery goes. Do you know how many he has done?

Greetings all - bumping this thread up to be active as I’m doing some investigating. I saw Dr. Bojrab in 2015 and he seemed to lack much experience. Ended up with a referral to an endovascular neurosurgeon who placed bilateral stents. While it protected me, I think I have ongoing (and perhaps worsening) symptoms.

Has anyone used any of the surgeons currently on the list? I’m especially interested in:

Dr. Ramirez
Dr. Artz
Dr. Steven Chang - not on the list but mentioned in this thread

I know I’m opening a new chapter in my journey, so anything I can do to accelerate this would be appreciated!

Chromechaser66,
I’m sorry your symptoms are ramping back up but am glad the stents have put off your need for further care for awhile.

I looked back at our posts for each doctor & it’s been several years since any of them were mentioned in a post. My recollection about Dr. Steven Chang is that he stopped doing ES surgery & was taken off our list, but it would be worth contacting his office to see if that’s the case. Here’s his contact information:

2799 W Grand Blvd K8, Detroit, MI 48202
(800) 436-7936

Chromechaser66

Sorry to hear that you are having more issues. I understood from another member that Dr. Chang was no longer doing Eagles surgery. I saw Dr. Artz and will private message you. Best wishes to you!

2 Likes

Thanks for the intel. Sorry for delay in reply - honestly I think I’m trying to avoid re-opening this chapter in my life!

I’ll take both Dr. Artz and Dr. Chang off my list for consideration. Perhaps a re-visit with Dr. Bojrab and reaching out to Dr. Ramirez (who looks pretty solid from online) are up in my future.

1 Like

Don’t blame you for not wanting to re-open this chapter, Chromechaser! If styloid removal can help end your story then it’s worth revisiting. I’m glad the stents have helped in the meantime.

Revisiting Dr. Bojrab isn’t a bad idea as he may have more experience now that a few years have passed. Dr. Ramirez sounds like a good choice though I don’t think anyone here has seen him recently. Two opinions are VERY worthwhile. I had first & seconds & ended up having surgery by a surgeon other than the one who diagnosed me & was very anxious to do my surgery. There’s something to be said for knowing about ES vs knowing about it AND having a decent amount of surgical experience with ES.

Your comment made me laugh - one of the things my endovascular neurosurgeon said to me was, “If anyone’s eager to do this surgery, ask them how many they’ve done. It won’t be many.”

1 Like