Eagles and Hyoid Syndrome

Helllo All,

So I am slightly frustrated right now.... I had "Eagle Syndrome" surgery in 2006 then 2007 and honestly that whole things has been so much better since... BUT I was hit as a pedestrian in 2008 and found out I have Hyoid syndrome and finally got the right side done 2011. Due to not really remembering a lot of how I actually felt before, I feel I'm starting from scratch... I have these "spasm" issues deep in my neck that go into full blown horrid headaches... my voice is so scratchy, and I've had issues swallowing. Was sent last week for a swallow study and I did find out almost a year ago there is calcification around my throat from hyoid bone. but my ENT keeps saying this isn't my issue.. I feel I fought this like crazy before... I have so many symptoms and wonder if anyone will talk about this as I'm tired of being sick and tired.

Hi ang- I'm sorry that you've been having trouble with this for so long.... a lot of us on here are 'newbies' compared to you, so you probably know more than us. With the hyoid syndrome are the stylo-hyoid ligaments calcified ? If your neck is going into spasm more than likely those muscles etc. are pressing on nerves which is what causes the headaches...have you tried muscle relaxant medication? Some people have found Baclofen helpful. It is so tiring fighting, just hold on to the knowledge that you've been through a lot, and surgery has helped you before... read up as much as you can and stand up for yourself. Are you able to look for a new ENT? Sending you a big hug!

Thank you Doll!

I was doing so much research last night because the past month my blood pressure is between 130/90-160/106 and I'm curious if this has any relation to everything else? But I just saw the stylo-hyoid stuff, then was wondering about the small muscle that connects to that. But my neurologist says to stick to asking my ENT. My ENT is pretty awesome. it took me 8 different ENT Dr.'s to find the one that knows more about it then most. BUT he has yet to realize my symptoms now are the same or similar to before. One thing I worry about is that a year ago... I brought in the CT disc and as he read the report from the radiologist he said oh your good. But as he pulled up the scan he was like WOW umm there is quite a bit and its just starting on the other side. He never said anything but hyoid bone... so now I want an appointment to stress that either I want a NEW CT and to NOT get it at Simon Med as they never get it right... but insight which always knows more so about it and sad but true they know me and what they are looking for. But i'm wondering if the styloid process and all this other stuff are intertwined then why done they check it all?

Jules said:

Hi ang- I'm sorry that you've been having trouble with this for so long.... a lot of us on here are 'newbies' compared to you, so you probably know more than us. With the hyoid syndrome are the stylo-hyoid ligaments calcified ? If your neck is going into spasm more than likely those muscles etc. are pressing on nerves which is what causes the headaches...have you tried muscle relaxant medication? Some people have found Baclofen helpful. It is so tiring fighting, just hold on to the knowledge that you've been through a lot, and surgery has helped you before... read up as much as you can and stand up for yourself. Are you able to look for a new ENT? Sending you a big hug!

I have also blood pressure problems and dizziness. I took for one month medication and measure for two months blood pressure. This was not the problem itself and cause of my dizziness. When I am relaxed the blood pressure is okay. Only if I am outside and walking dizziness comes. I trying to find out what leads to dizziness. Family doc. means it can be psychosomatic. But I am unsure about that.

Yes, they keep telling me either I'm not drinking enough water or its stress/anxiety/ptsd stuff. But mine goes nuts all throughout the day and really goes crazy at night when I try laying down. I feel someone is choking me and that's how I use to feel when my hyoid was calcified before.

teo said:

I have also blood pressure problems and dizziness. I took for one month medication and measure for two months blood pressure. This was not the problem itself and cause of my dizziness. When I am relaxed the blood pressure is okay. Only if I am outside and walking dizziness comes. I trying to find out what leads to dizziness. Family doc. means it can be psychosomatic. But I am unsure about that.