Hello,
New here and in a predicament.
In May, out of the blue, I developed a massive migraine that lasted for days and shortly after, I developed an array of symptoms including terrible occipital area pain, specially in two spots bilateral at the base of my skull, under the ears and a few cm in which were painful to palpate, constantly sore/burning but switches from left to right side depending on the day, headaches/migraines, vertigo, eyes disturbances, noise sensitivity, on and off throat pain, scalp and facial sensitivity/nerve pain, on/off pain behind eyes, brain fog, sleep disturbances due to neck pain.
I started out at the spine pain clinic where they gave me trigger point injections which didn’t provide any relief. So we proceeded with 2 bilateral Medial Branch Blocks to see if I’d be a good candidate for an RFA, which gave some relief, but the bilateral spots I referred to above, were still somewhat palpably sensitive/painful, otherwise it did relieve some symptoms such as the nerve pain in the scalp and some pain/burning directly behind the ears best the mastoid area.
In between the time of my first and second MBBs, after some research, I discovered eagles syndrome and decided to go to an ENT, they thought I was crazy at first, but I demanded a ct with contrast and come to find out my left styloid is elongated at 4cm long and right sits just a little over 3.5, both calcified.
I was referred to a surgical ENT who didn’t think my symptoms necessarily coincided with eagles syndrome but agreed to do the surgery starting with the longest side first and if it provided any relief, would complete the right side.
My neurologist said I could do both the RFA and the surgery if I want, but I’m not sure I want to go thru with both. As there’s not necessarily a clear answer which one would work the best and give me the best chance of relief. Since one is much less invasive than the other, to say I’m terrified to go thru with the styloidectomy is an understatement and I’m worried it won’t work and I just did a major surgery for nothing and the styloids were simply an incidental finding and not the culprit of the pain.
I could really use advice - I’m having a really hard time making a decision.
I could do the RFA as soon as next week and the Styloid procedure as soon as the end of the month.. which leaves me with little room to decide and neither provider giving much insight on which would be the best procedure to the circumstances of 1. The styloids and 2. The relief, although not complete relief, from the MBB.
Thank you!
Sara





