Ear Fullness and ES

Hi Wadams

I have a question because you said that you are an audiologist. I have hyperacusis and tinnitus in my right ear. My audiological test are ok, I had couple of mri's nad ct scans and everything is ok with my middle ear. The only thing that is not ok i that I have elongated styloid and my ear problems sterted with other symptoms of ES but I don't have throat pain or ear pain. What is your experience with that?

Thank you in advance

wadams said:

Hello eAmator,

As an ES patient AND an audiologist, I would like to put in my two cents. The purpose of the Eustachian tube is to equalize pressure in the middle ear space. Anything that causes the Eustachian tube to not open normally will eventually cause negative pressure in the middle ear space. This typically results in a collection of fluid which may or may not become infected. Regardless, negative pressure and/or fluid may result in a feeling of fullness. This can be checked with a simple test called tympanometry or immittance testing which shows the status of the middle ear. That being said, I have the same feeling that you describe without negative pressure or fluid. I also have extremely stiff eardrums. After monitoring myself for many years, I am still unsure as to whether it a result of stiffening of the middle ear system or irritation of the nerves that innervate the middle ear. I just chalk it up to another one of those unexplained things that so many of us have that doctors tell you CAN'T POSSIBLY be from ES. I think by now we all know better.

We recommend

Dispite what the TV infomercials would have you believe, we do not yet know what really causes tinnitus. It happens very often in people with hearing loss. The idea is that the inner hair cells in the cochlea that once responded to sound become damaged and no longer do so. The prevailing theory is that the brain is looking for sensory input that is no longer there and tinnitus is the brain's perception of that miscommunication. You said your audiological tests were fine. I am in the same boat. Normal hearing, but tinnitus -- cannot be explained in most cases. It is much more concerning when only in one ear (mine is in both), but you have also had the appropriate tests for this -- MRI and CT. You may be at the point where you just have to mask it. Calming/ocean sounds can help you forget its there and can even make it go away for a short time. It's called habituation therapy. There is also a program called Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (TRT), but this is a longthy program that is very expensive and ends at the same place.

As for the hyperacousis, this is typically caused by insult or irritation of the facial nerve (cranial nerve V). Hyperacousis occurs very often in conjunction with Bell's palsy. I wish I could help you more, but that is a question for your PCP or neurologist.

I will tell you what has made a world of difference for me. Many years ago I had neuropathies in my legs and feet, just like diabetics get, but I do not have diabetes. I tried Neurontin and other prescriptions with no luck. I did some research on my own and purchased a product (at that time) called SeaSilver. It helped within a WEEK! Fast forward to last November and I began having excruciating trigeminal and glossopharyngeal neuralgia. Again, when nothing else worked, I googled SeaSilver and found that they now sell it under a different name -- SeaAloe. Same stuff, just a different name. AGAIN, it almost immediately relieved much of my pain. It is evidently a concentrated anti-inflammatory and this is enough for me, at least for now, to remain somewhat comfortable during the winter months, which for me is the worst.

I hope this helps you and others, because I know we don't get enough answers from physicians. Best of luck!

I am so sorry. In looking at some older conversations, I see that i told you that the cranial nerve is CNV. It is in fact CN VII. I am sorry for the error. I type rather carelessly sometimes.

For me it started with sinus pressure then otitis media and then things just got worse with tinnitus. So currently i have pain in both ears with tinnitus, but not a heart beet tinnitus, mine is more like a static sound.

LIke your mines feels like a stabbing pain as well and it feels like its the inner ear. Of course ive gotten every test thinkable for ears and all doctors say my ears look perfectly normal.

My question is, was the ear problem your first symptom? and did you have sinus pain as well?

Hi Anthonyp8484,

Just wanted to let you know that Tina hasn’t posted since January of 2015, it’s possible she doesn’t check the forum anymore. I hope she does reply to your question though.

ok i could see that. if shes not back on, that means that she must be healed.

That would be our hope!